1.    #1  
    Hey All,

Geeez...I haven't been in the forums here for the better part of the week. I finished up the Treo 680 and am onto the iPhone.

I've been getting on with the iPhone pretty well - it's definitely a well designed phone, especially when it comes to its out of the box experience. The philosophy is the complete opposite of the BlackBerry, yet it works for me.

Check out my iPhone First Impressions article. Let me know what you guys and gals think, and let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas for me and the iPhone.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Community Editor, CrackBerry.com
    That was a great review. I have to say, I've been thinking I'm missing out not having an iphone. In fact, I couldn't get one because I'm not changing carriers but you said something that really took away any desire that I've had for one. It takes two hands to use it. You have the Crackberry prayer (great term by the way), and I guess I recognize it as the Treo prayer because I see users doing it all the time. Thanks, your review really made me feel quite alot better.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    As a dedicated Mac user I've wanted an iPhone but AT&T isn't in my area yet. That's probably a good thing because the lack of GPS (even via bluetooth), third-party apps and a removeable battery would drive me crazy. Nor do I see how I could use the screen with winter gloves on (same problem with the Blackberry's track ball).

Kevin does a good job of selling the Blackberry's strong points but I'm not convinced I could live without a touch screen. How could I drag a map, move backgammon pieces or quickly select a word on a page of text without a touch screen and stylus?

Guess I'll just have to wait for the iBerry.
    Nice review. Glad to hear your impressions as there were a good number of things you noted that I had not paid as much attention to with my Treo and how I use it.

Its interesting you note transistions as being an item that bugs you. I can see that being the case with a lot of users. Would be interesting if Apple introduced a setting that would give three options for transistion effects (normal, 1/2, and none). That would probably solve that, but add a layer of understanding to the device.

Once again, thanks for the impressions. Very well written.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Its interesting you note transistions as being an item that bugs you. I can see that being the case with a lot of users. Would be interesting if Apple introduced a setting that would give three options for transistion effects (normal, 1/2, and none). That would probably solve that, but add a layer of understanding to the device.
    I'm not sure but I believe the transitions are part of OSX's Core Animation and do not impose significant delay or overhead like Kevin claims. He should check into that.

Some effects can be adjusted on the Mac so I'm surprised there is no such option on the iPhone. Personally, I think smooth transitions are important to interface design and make for a better user experience. Kevin's comparison to PowerPoint seems off-target.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    I'm not sure but I believe the transitions are part of OSX's Core Animation and do not impose significant delay or overhead like Kevin claims. He should check into that.

Some effects can be adjusted on the Mac so I'm surprised there is no such option on the iPhone. Personally, I think smooth transitions are important to interface design and make for a better user experience. Kevin's comparison to PowerPoint seems off-target.
    Like the phones, our brains are just wired with different expectations.
    I welcome using a different launcher from time to time on the Treo, but the simple, quick interface of the ugly base launcher keeps me coming back for it's ability to just get there in a snap.
    I agree it is good to have configurable options rather than one guy's vision for a smart phone.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2

What you say is true in that it should not impose a delay, but user experience is about what matches our perceptions, not what the software does. Also, note his device background. Such transisions are not used on teh BB and therefore seen more readily than someone from a difference device perspective.

The compairson to PowerPoint is acutally a good one. Not everyone likes those transistions, and for many, it is a turn off to a great presentation to have them.

There's probably no option to tune this on the iPhone because the amount of user testing either said that there needs to be none, 'too many', or 'where it is now' amounts of transistion effects. If Apple is concerned enough with such an opinion (IMO, they are because of the user's device preference and perspective) then something will change.

Adding such options is a layer that will kill some of the "1-way" user experience that this edition of the iPhone follows. I wonder if it is not something we will see now, but possibly later.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Take away the animations, and the iPhone is pretty similar to Palm OS (except a lot more stable ). The iPhone is what the next version of Palm OS should have been-- an evolution of the Palm's functionality/usability, but with some nice visual effects. Yes the iPhone has no menus, but overall, in usage, it really isn't that different, IMO.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Take away the animations, and the iPhone is pretty similar to Palm OS (except a lot more stable ). The iPhone is what the next version of Palm OS should have been-- an evolution of the Palm's functionality/usability, but with some nice visual effects. Yes the iPhone has no menus, but overall, in usage, it really isn't that different, IMO.
    I agree iPhone takes what the Palm does well to a different level of multimedia capability. If it had a high speed network and GPS and addressed some PIM issues...and in 2008 if they release a decent SDK for people to get good results. It will be interesting to see if anyone can leapfrog (piggyback?) Apple in 2008.
    btw Edge is not high speed...
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    What you say is true in that it should not impose a delay, but user experience is about what matches our perceptions, not what the software does. Also, note his device background. Such transisions are not used on teh BB and therefore seen more readily than someone from a difference device perspective.

The compairson to PowerPoint is acutally a good one. Not everyone likes those transistions, and for many, it is a turn off to a great presentation to have them.
    Let me repeat just to be clear. Kevin said that the transition animations cause delay and serve no useful purpose. I'm saying that they may not cause any delay--somebody who actually knows needs to chime in here. Furthermore, the animations are a part of the interface design intended to lead the user smoothly through the functions and do not have the same purpose as the slide transitions in PowerPoint. Kevin can state whether he likes them or not but he should be factual in his claims. That's all.
    Let me repeat just to be clear. Kevin said that the transition animations cause delay and serve no useful purpose. I'm saying that they may not cause any delay--somebody who actually knows needs to chime in here. Furthermore, the animations are a part of the interface design intended to lead the user smoothly through the functions and do not have the same purpose as the slide transitions in PowerPoint. Kevin can state whether he likes them or not but he should be factual in his claims. That's all.
    Isn't there a little funny animation which takes time when you delete mail, vs just moving on to the next one?

Surur
    They do both - serve a useful purpose in giving you a visual indication of what's happening *AND* cause delays (esp. when deleting multiple emails). These delays may not necessarily be unnecessary in the sense that they "cover up" the operating system grinding through a process. I.E. I've long suspected much of the eye candy on the iPhone is Apple needing to put something in there besides a spinny beach ball of death.
    I agree with you septimus. The transitions are probably there instead of a "Waiting..." or "Working..." type status bar.

Very well put.."Eye Candy".
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310