Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks, pdaluver.

The Tilt is actually THINNER than the 750?? Dang! Wouldn't have expected that at all. Might be doing a little shopping tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Hi Cascade! Yep, the 750 and the Tilt are very close in size. Below are the dimensions of the two:

Treo 750 - 4.37" x 2.28" x 0.87" (111 x 58 x 22.1 mm) - weight= 5.4oz
    AT&T Tilt- 4.4" x 2.3" x 0.73" (112 x 59 x 19 mm) - weight= 6.0oz

That's very close in size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Thanks, pdaluver.

The Tilt is actually THINNER than the 750?? Dang! Wouldn't have expected that at all. Might be doing a little shopping tomorrow....
    Its thinner, and its thinner than its predecessor, but its more brick shaped than hand-shaped, so I would not actually use that as a major consideration. Its by no means thin.

Surur
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Treo 750 - 4.37" x 2.28" x 0.87" (111 x 58 x 22.1 mm) - weight= 5.4oz
    AT&T Tilt- 4.4" x 2.3" x 0.73" (112 x 59 x 19 mm) - weight= 6.0oz
    Treo 500v - 2.4" x 4.3" x 0.6" (110 x 61.5 x 16.5mm) - weight= 4.3oz (120 grams )

Just to throw a spanner in the Windows Mobile works, I've got hold of a Treo 500v today - and I love it! Small, light, and it syncs with my Exchange server out of box.

All the non-smartphone, non-Treo people in the office like it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Treo 500v - 2.4" x 4.3" x 0.6" (110 x 61.5 x 16.5mm) - weight= 4.3oz (120 grams )

Just to throw a spanner in the Windows Mobile works, I've got hold of a Treo 500v today - and I love it! Small, light, and it syncs with my Exchange server out of box.

All the non-smartphone, non-Treo people in the office like it too.
    How's the carousel interface? Does it work, and is it good eye candy, or is it annoying?

Surur
  5.    #25  
    How's the carousel interface? Does it work, and is it good eye candy, or is it annoying?
    Yeah Stig, I'm curious about that also. I'd love to get hold of one of those myself.

Was it like this video that surur found?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    I quite like it! It's very pretty, with some animation. I was tempted to try to turn it off but I decided I'll stick with it as I'll be supporting my collegues using it.

pdaluver - yes, it's like the video, but in English, not German!

I previously had a Treo 600 before my Nokia E61. I must say the build quality of the 500v is amazing. The body is lightweight plastic, but it has a real quality feel to it. Time will tell how rugged it is.

Any idea when the US might get this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Any idea when the US might get this?
    I believe never. Its more a Vodafone than a Palm phone.

Surur
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I believe never. Its more a Vodafone than a Palm phone.

Surur
    well that sucks

Looks like a pretty good phone from my side of things

Anyways,

Good article; kinda wish HTC made more CDMA phones (not sure I will be leaving sprint for a GSM company anytime soon)

makes you think, if they can produce a phone thinner than the Palm 750, that has a slide out keyboard.... whats keeping palm from expanding their selection of phones they produce.

To be honest... Having a phone thats not 1-hand friendly is a good thing for me (and alot of people)

keeps people from picking up that cellphone to write an email while driving LOL (it happens)

as long as the call function is 1 handed, I don't think it's an issue.
    Last edited by airibis; 11/23/2007 at 06:10 AM.
    How does the tilt measure up to it's predecessor (original tytn/8528) speedwise? they're supposed to be about even, but i can only imagine the addition of a native wm6 os would give it a bit more perk, no?
  10.    #30  
    How does the tilt measure up to it's predecessor (original tytn/8528) speedwise? they're supposed to be about even, but i can only imagine the addition of a native wm6 os would give it a bit more perk, no?
    It's been so long since I used the original TyTN that I honestly can't remember how speedy it was. Sorry!

Maybe someone else who has recently used both devices can jump in.
    I never used an 8525, but the Tilt was too slow for me. I actually bought it a few days ago, used the heck out of it for a couple days and returned it. I could deal with the menus and layers of WM 6 (coming from Palm OS) okay, but the general sluggishness was a deal breaker.

I did all of the "Tweak Your Tilt" stuff and it just plain drove me nuts. My wife just started using a Treo 750. I put WM 6 on it and it's much snappier than the Tilt using the same OS.

Me, I'm back to Palm OS for now. I'd upgrade to anything, but there's nothing appealing right now! Frustrating. Maybe the Treo 800w if it ever comes to GSM.
    It seems like HTC has done it again, I was a big 8525 supporter despite WM and I have been enjoying me treo 650 since I got it, minus it missing wifi capability. I am glad to see wi-fi is being included on more gsm devices in the states and in cities like new orleans where wifi is free, this only means greater productivity. My question still centers around my gripe with WM - its windows... have you had any crashes or nething like that. I dont mind palm crashes because the OS is back up in seconds, and i can get back to my program just as quickly. somehow i dont get that impression with WM devices. My MPx200, WM5, (RIP, cupholder incident) was fun but slow and buggy. But it was cool looking. I hope WM6 isnt a Vista mobile.

Any thoughts?
    Certainly 128 MB RAM has solved any memory related problems that may have existed in the 8525. I feel the tilt feature is also more than a gimmick, its actually useful.

Surur
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I switched from the 700p to the HTC Mogul. ( Sprint's version of the Tilt ) I love it.

I find it to be much snappier, I like the bigger keyboard, the mail polling and I really love the customizable today screen. I have the HTC 6 tab and calendar+ running for my today screen.

It is next to impossible to do things one handed. Palm requires a lot less work to do the same things. But I love that I can be talking to some one and looking up directions or information online while I'm talking. I love that programs stay running in the background and I can just switch back to them.

Because the screen is larger but with the same resolution you need a bigger font to read docs and pdfs. More resolution would make the hardware close to perfect.

I really love Windows Live, it works with the Freedom GPS I have. I also have the Sprint TV hack and English AOL IM installed (US version costs $). The camera is an improvement over the Palm one as well.

I'd recommend it unless you're holding out for the Google phone?
  15.    #35  
    Hey qbblackout! Actually, the Tilt has crashed on me a few times. It just locked up and I had no idea why. Once was when I was attempting to play Brain Challenge. Each time it locked up, I used the stylus to press the reset button and the Tilt had to reboot.
    How did the reboot compare to your 680 rebooting? Generally, did it seem to take longer before you were able to use the device, or could you tell a difference?
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
  17.    #37  
    How did the reboot compare to your 680 rebooting? Generally, did it seem to take longer before you were able to use the device, or could you tell a difference?
    I jut now put my 680's battery back in so I could test this and see. The Palm logo with the "Powered by Access" appeared at 27 seconds. The 680 took a total of 1.03 seconds to reboot to the screen with the time set.

At 38.3seconds, the 3G animation appeared. The Tilt took a total of 114.7 seconds to reboot to the Today screen.

So the 680 was a bit faster at rebooting. I'd thought that I'd remembered the 680 being faster, but I wasn't sure of course of the exact time. I used the stop watch on my iPhone to test this. Hopefully it's accurate.

Thanks for the question jbonnot03! I'll use that in my final thoughts since I was planning to mention the Tilt locking up on me.

Update: Hmmm, I did the test again. This time the Tilt took a total of 106.3 seconds to get to the Today screen. The 3G animation came up at 34.3 seconds. Then I did it again and the 3G animation came up at 35.2 seconds and the Today screen came up at 105.3 seconds.

I also redid the 680. The Powered by Access screen appeared at 35.4 seconds, and the time set screen came up at 104.6 seconds.

So the times seem to vary but the 680 was still a little faster.
    Last edited by Jennifer Chappell; 11/29/2007 at 04:44 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12