1.    #1  
    This is an official Round Robin contest thread

CrackBerry Kevin's start with the Treo 680 was a slow one since the phone he was sent didn't like his Rogers SIM card. But Kevin managed very well and made up for lost time, writing up a great first impressions article.

Kevin's time with the 680 has come to an end and he's now written up his final thoughts.

"Iím happy to say weíll be parting company as well-acquainted friends. As soon as Iím finished writing this article, Iíll yank the SIM card and put it into the iPhone thatís sitting beside me in a UPS box... that should be fun!"

Although Kevin did manage to get through another week without his main Blackberry device, he struggled with the Treo's email abilities and missed his BlackBerry Messenger, making him feel lost and cutoff from his world. It's nice to know that our TreoCentral forum members stepped in and helped Kevin out with plenty of 3rd party app suggestions. Kevin said that by installing a whack load of 3rd party apps, he got the 680 doing everything a BlackBerry could do and even a bit more.

Read more

Start posting for more chances to win the smartphone of your choice!
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I'm don't understand how Kevin had trouble with one handed operation. I only have one hand and don't have any issues.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I support the handhelds for my company, and besides having a company Treo 750, I also have a personal 680. I also support all of our Blackberry devices as well (7290, 8800).

In my experience with the 680, it has its shortcomings but I still find it easier than a Blackberry, ESPECIALLY because of the touchscreen, in terms of overall usage. I like the ability to have two different methods of using most functions. The touchscreen and navigator complement each other. The battery life still sucks and Versamail could be more versatile, but do you really expect Versamail to replace your laptop in terms of doing emails?? Come on! Microsoft Outlook is very handy on my Treo 750, but its still very scaled down from the desktop version.

Kevin's assessment of the 680 is not uncommon, but I think it has enough bells & whistles for everyone to find something they like and don't like about it. I've always believed that having too much is better than not having enough, and with the Treo's, they hit that mark. The Blackberry's on the other hand, DO miss the mark, especially with lacking a touchscreen. With the lack of available software for it, that should be a clue.

O.
    Glad Kevin liked Arcade Reality, it's just a cool little way to kill time.

As for one handed, I've gotten very good at operating it one handed, and I still use the standard interface (no Zlauncher) and without programed app launching keys. Funny thing is I'm right handed, but find it much easier to use one handed with my left hand. Most navigation is taken care of with the rocker buttons, space bar, menu key, and home button. The rare occasions I need the touch screen I can usually just use my left hand thumb to hit it if needed. It's all just a mater of getting used to the interface and where things are.
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    I'm don't understand how Kevin had trouble with one handed operation. I only have one hand and don't have any issues.
    And from the looks of your avatar, that one hand only has two fingers - two really long fingers.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    And from the looks of your avatar, that one hand only has two fingers - two really long fingers.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Every device takes getting used to and I think one measure of good interface design is how quickly a novice can step up and use it effectively. The first Mac and Palm computers were like that.

Times change, devices get more features crammed into them, and interface is often a second thought when rushing things to market. Today's Treo is a hodgepodge but you get used to it. One-handed operation is easy for the phone and for reading email. Typing things generally requires two hands. Graphic programs (how does a BB do that?) properly use the touch screen and stylus.

Kevin clearly has the equally confusing BB button-trackball interface wired into his reflexes. To be expected although it seems odd that he struggled so much. It will be interesting to see how he takes to the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    This was a fair review pointing up some of the 680's strengths and weaknesses. I particularly like the fact that Crackberry Kevin reached out for input and spoke with Treo owners he saw in public.
    His Blackberry leanings aside, most compelling was his noticing how most Treo owners are standing by what works and waiting for something compelling enough for a change. This should send another shot across Palm's bow to get the new OS out.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2