Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Microsoft and Windows Mobile clearly have a primary focus these days - and that focus is business. From adding a slew of business-oriented features to Windows Mobile 6 to their recently announced device management suite, Microsoft is serious about gaining some marketshare in the enterprise space.

If they're successful, they'll likely be taking that marketshare away from one company: RIM. So I'll admit to feeling the pressure this week in the Smartphone Round Robin. Sure, people enjoy pitting Microsoft against Apple, but it seems like the place where there's really *direct* smartphone competition is between Microsoft and RIM - and both companies talk enough trash to back that up.

While I can't comment too intelligently about advanced enterprise and business features, I do feel like I'm getting a pretty good feel for the BlackBerry from a Windows Mobile user's perspective. This week is actually the first time in the Round Robin that I've been using a brand new interface - with the 680 and the iPhone I had some experience. So I need to give a gigantic shout-out to the incredible folks over at the CrackBerry.com forums, without whom I would have felt awfully lost.

Read on for my initial thoughts on the BlackBerry 8310!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...n_first_t.html

So: what'd I get right? What'd I get flat-out wrong? Comment on this post for an entry in the Round Robin Contest!
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 11/15/2007 at 03:36 PM.
    Nice touch with the myspace-ish picture
    Ah, shoot. I just realized I forgot something. I'll mention it in the next article - I love the old school square cursor.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Great review on the blackberry. I have to be honest with you, i'm a Treo owner and have been researching between the various smartphones out there. This round robin gig is sweet!! Great Idea! I've narrowed down my search to the Tilt and the Curve. My treo, being my first foray into smarphoneworld has been fun, but certain bugs within the phone have kept me from loving it. I think I just got a bad apple from the stack, not pointing the finger at Palm. I'm heavily leaning towards the tilt just for it's immense capabilites,..but this curve sure looks sweet. Functionality over Aesthetics...I'd appreciate any advice anyone out there may have on making my final selection. I recently came across these sites, Crackberry, TreoCentral and WMExperts.....i'm hooked. I must admit that I'm a self confirmed gadget geek. The first step with any addiction is admitting that you have one.

Looking forward to future posts... :0)
    Yea, the BB email religion is pervasive but you can change a few things:
    - hide sent email from the unified inbox with <menu> Options->General Options->Hide Sent Messages:Yes
    - hide server-filed email with <menu> Options->General Options->Hide Filed Messages:Yes . You can always see the individual folders with <menu> View Folders-><pick a folder> at least with BES service. I can't say for BIS/IMAP.
    - separate home page icons for SMS and Email with <menu> Options->General Options->SMS and Email Inboxes:Separate
    - to have deleted email delete on both sides be sure to have <menu> Options->Email Reconciliation->Delete On:Mailbox&Handheld set. Realize that by default the reconciliation happens at worst every 15 minutes so it might take a few minutes to reflect the change. Otherwise do a <menu> Reconcile Now to force it to happen immediately.

I pretty much stick with one theme but do know that each theme saves your icon arrangement and subfolders so that's why you saw them change.

Try Nav4All as a free voice-guided GPS-based nav app. Pretty sweet on my Curve and works as well as TT on my 700p.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Ah, shoot. I just realized I forgot something. I'll mention it in the next article - I love the old school square cursor.
    I agree. Sometimes that yellow circle backdrop is hard to see under some of the icons - especially if the icon has yellow in it.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Great review of the curve. Almost makes me want to switch from my 680. You mentioned D2G for the curve. Has Dataviz released that already?
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Hmm, pretty spot on article Dieter, while reading through it, I found myself agreeing with you at all points, even the items which you would be considering "bad" points, especially regarding the IMAP feature and not being able to sort the emails as you would like, I understand that especially when you have become accustomed to utilizing your emails that way, I personally don't have the much organization going on in my inbox, so it has bypassed me as being a limitation on the BB devices, I'm noticing the sync problem you were having has been addressed somewhat by a fellow CB.com member tomvb2000, but a crucial step has been missed in that direction as well, while logged into your BIS account, tap on the edit icon on an individual email and under the General Settings you will find "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device." that will need to be addressed for sync to work correctly...tomvb2000 beat me to the punch on this one (*shakes fist*) lol,...you really didn't leave much for us to comment on other then the normal "Great Article", "excellent read" stuff that you would normally see in a post..anything that was left out, you already stated you would be addressing in the next article..so alas I wait..cause by reading this article I think you pretty much hit it home and any BB user that reads this, is pretty much gonna agree with any faults you have found.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This round-robin is a great idea and comes at a perfect time for me. I'm contemplating my next device (corporate env) and my Treo 650 with Goodlink is ok..but oooold. The Curve is a major frontrunner with the Palm Centro close behind.

The religion of email is my main issue. I just don't get how our BES runs things. Will I be able to setup a separate IMAP personal email account along with the Exchange connection I will have via BES? How about text messages...also go through BES? That just doesn't feel right.

If anyone can comment on how I can accomplish something like my current setup with a Curve/BES setup I'd be grateful! Setup is as follows:
    --Currently on the Treo 650 I have Goodlink with it's own cal/email etc that links directly to our Exchange server.
    --I also have Chattermail setup for my personal IMAP accounts.
    --The native palm address book and calendar are for personal contacts & schedule (although I could live with a single calendar and contact list).

Main question:...how would I do separate email and text messaging and would it all go through the BES?

Great review...looking forward to the rest of the roundup.
    Main question:...how would I do separate email and text messaging and would it all go through the BES?
    The option is there to have SEPERATE in boxes for individual email accounts, and SMS and MMS are lumped together, the system as it breaks down is this

Corp Email goes through- BES
    Persoanl Email goes through-BIS
    SMS and MMS goes through-Normal services ie..your carriers GSM/GPRS Netwrk.
    Fun article! I probably won't consider BB seriously - been using Palm for awhile and playing around with WM - but this was a lot of fun to read nonetheless. Funny, informative, and in the end make me realize BB is much more capable than I ever gave it credit for. Well written, Dieter!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    SMS and MMS goes through-Normal services ie..your carriers GSM/GPRS Netwrk.
    That was my assumption, but I've read a few things about BES that talk about the BES ability to audit sms/mms messages. This makes me think that it would have to route messages through BES first. That, and:
    Scroll to the bottom of this BES features page

Is there a way around that??
    My company is enforcing a corporate wide wireless standard which means I'll have to go with Blackberry (so long Treo 650 and Dash). My wife has a Pearl so I've had a chance to try the BB OS for an extended period. I really love the form factor and stability of the BB but I have a serious problem with the built in calendar. Simply put, its primitive. The Today screen is not configurable (I really like Facade on my Dash) and the weekly and monthly views are just awful. I want a weekly grid view and a month view that has icons and/or colored categories. Is that too much to ask? I search handango and pocketgear and there doesn't seem to be ANY 3rd party calendar apps for the BB? Why doesn't a third party step in? I'd pay to get something like Datebk or PocketInformant on the BB.
    When will Sprint get this thing?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Rumor is 1Q08 with EVDO rev A and will include GPS. With OS 4.3 streaming media support, it makes SlingPlayer a real possibility. Forecast is also 1Q08 for Docs2Go native Blackberry support per DataViz here. That'll probably for a Pro version since this forecast indicates Doc2ToGo Standard Edition support.

That would close all the gaps between the 700p and the Curve IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Rumor is 1Q08 with EVDO rev A and will include GPS. With OS 4.3 streaming media support, it makes SlingPlayer a real possibility. Forecast is also 1Q08 for Docs2Go native Blackberry support per DataViz here. That'll probably for a Pro version since this forecast indicates Doc2ToGo Standard Edition support.

That would close all the gaps between the 700p and the Curve IMO.
    Thanks...my wife wants this phone bad. She has been holding out for 2 years with her A900 and is overdue for an upgrade and we aren't leaving Sprint for a device.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    ...I have a serious problem with the built in calendar. Simply put, its primitive. The Today screen is not configurable (I really like Facade on my Dash) and the weekly and monthly views are just awful. I want a weekly grid view and a month view that has icons and/or colored categories. Is that too much to ask? I search handango and pocketgear and there doesn't seem to be ANY 3rd party calendar apps for the BB? Why doesn't a third party step in? I'd pay to get something like Datebk or PocketInformant on the BB.
    I find the POS and BB Calendar apps very comparable and the weekly/month views virtually identical, but it sounds like you have a need for a more advanced view.

The closest thing to a POS Today screen I've found is the free BB app called BBToday which you can OTA d/l here. The Stock tracker function doesn't work but you can turn it off - everything else works perfectly. I've mapped it to a side button for easy access.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Thanks...my wife wants this phone bad. She has been holding out for 2 years with her A900 and is overdue for an upgrade and we aren't leaving Sprint for a device.
    Same here. My grandfathered unlimited plan for the whole family is too good to pass up. As long as I don't make any changes to my account, Sprint won't screw up the billing. Right now I have a ATT Curve for work and the 700p on Sprint although I find myself using the Curve for almost everything. I'd like to get back to just one device - especially something stable with BT 2.0 that fits in my shirt pocket that doesn't reset or lag but has multiday battery life, yada, yada, yada.

I'll miss the selection of 3rd party apps but find most of that functionality is already builtin on the Curve.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Treo 650-->Treo 700p and Curve
    Just curious...would you comment on your experience moving from the 650 to 700 and Curve? Where you on Sprint (CDMA) or ATT (GSM)? Thanks for any insight. I have the 650 w/ Sprint and am looking to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Hah! Your post just before my reply answered most of my questions. How would you rate the ATT vs. Sprint voice quality and data rates on the two devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast