Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In my experience the voice quality between the two is the same - very good. The only dropouts or static I get is when I'm on the edge of a cell - very rare but yet predictable.

Data rates can't really compare - EDGE is slow compared to EVDO. With EVDO I can easily get >200kbps as measured at dslreports mobile site. Can't get equivalent numbers from that site for the Curve due to the way dslreports speed tests work and what the browser/BB network supports. From other ATT users, I think EDGE tops out around 130-140K as measured by dslreports. The speed really makes a diff for an app like SlingPlayer.

I've been a Palm fanboy for a very long time, but they haven't innovated and let their lead slip away. I'm pretty happy with the Curve and look forward to 1Q08 for their next OS updates.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Seems like a fair review, I'm still a little suprised you prefer the treos keyboard.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    "keyboard shortcuts like “shift for select” mean I can select a whole buncha them at once and do an action on them"
    Ahhh! I didn't know this! Disregard my comment here.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    In my experience the voice quality between the two is the same - very good. The only dropouts or static I get is when I'm on the edge of a cell - very rare but yet predictable.

Data rates can't really compare - EDGE is slow compared to EVDO. With EVDO I can easily get >200kbps as measured at dslreports mobile site. Can't get equivalent numbers from that site for the Curve due to the way dslreports speed tests work and what the browser/BB network supports. From other ATT users, I think EDGE tops out around 130-140K as measured by dslreports. The speed really makes a diff for an app like SlingPlayer.

I've been a Palm fanboy for a very long time, but they haven't innovated and let their lead slip away. I'm pretty happy with the Curve and look forward to 1Q08 for their next OS updates.
    CDMA, EVDO, and the Curve seems like a good recipe for me. If it does indeed come out some time during Q1 2008, after getting it for my wife and using her as a guinea pig I want to see if its capable of pulling me from Palm. I am so hell bent on waiting until Q4 2008 for Palm/Linux.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by justdigphones View Post
    Seems like a fair review, I'm still a little suprised you prefer the treos keyboard.
    Same here. Whenever I (rarely) need to use my Blackberry, my thumbs feel like they're on vacation compared to using my 750's chicklet keys.
    I just got a curve 8300 from AT&T Premier for a friend, and it's a nice device overall. The screen is great and the thoughtful features are awesome. But, it seems to lack the important features for my needs, and I won't have a hard time parting with it.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Is the Sprint Curve a sure thing for Q1 2008?
    Like many others I have been using Treos devotedly for several years (and Palm PDAs before that) but have grown tired of the company's inability to advance the line. I continue to shop around but have yet to find another smart phone that is attractive enough to make me abandon my tired but faithful Treo.

The Curve is one device that caught my eye. The two things that make me really uncomfortable with it are the email system and the lack of a touch screen. Dieter discussed both of these things in his excellent First Thoughts but didn't do much to make me feel better. I'm going to have to stick with the Treo a little longer.
    arw4f - Definitely can't say the Curve on Sprint is a "sure thing" for 1Q08 - rumors are what they are - just rumors. I believe it's very, very lifely though.

Geo-Treo - I understand the hesitance over the email religion on the Curve, but having used Good on my 600/650/700p for years, you can definitely get used to it on the BB. I thought I'd miss the touchscreen as well, but the trackball and menus go a very long way to make up for it. If it means better battery life in a thinner device, it's an easy tradeoff for me.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Having to use both regularly side by side, the difference between Sprint's EVDO network and the slower Edge is astounding. Network speed is a prerequisite to changing devices.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Having to use both regularly side by side, the difference between Sprint's EVDO network and the slower Edge is astounding. Network speed is a prerequisite to changing devices.
    I don't live in a Sprint EVDO area and don't travel enough to make EVDO an must have. I'm guessing that the ATT EDGE network on the Curve will be faster, or at least as fast as the normal Sprint data rates on my old Treo 650.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try out the Curve for a while and see what I think. My main concerns are around how the BES works with my company and if I can setup other personal accounts through the BIS ... still wish I could get some details around what exactly goes through what B(I/E)S. Oh well...guess, I will have to test it out on my own.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    One reason I never see myself getting a BB is the whole BES issue. If I were to get a BB I would want to receive my work mail and calendar on it. I currently admin 1 Exchange and 1 Domino BES with about 750 users. As an admin I have come to realize if you use a BES you don't really "own" the BB. At any time an BES admin and restrict what you install on it, lock you out of it, or completely wipe it.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    webdave...honestly, that is my largest overall concern. I have Goodlink on the Treo and can somewhat control the level of intrusion that software has. I still have a mandatory password policy that's a PITA, but other than that it's ok. I guess my time of trying out the BB will help me see if our corp. restrictions are too much.

A question though...since you're an admin, can you see the following on your Exchange BES devices?
    1) sms/mms messages including content
    2) phone call log/time etc.
    3) application inventory for a particular device
    4) other content on the device?
    5) anything else along those lines?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    1. This is controlled by a policy. We currently have it disabled but you can enable it. My understanding is once it is enabled the device is queried every so often and any MMS/SMS messages are uploaded and logged on the BES.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. I can see all apps, versions, device uptime, battery life, if it is in cradle or out of cradle.
    Having used a Palm for 10 years, with corporate email access for about 5 this is the one thing I despised about the Blackberry.

I have serarate icons on my theme for my Comcast account, University of Phoenix Account, and use Empower BES Mailbox for my Exchange mail.

The issue you are seeing with improper syncing of items when you file is another pet peeve of mine with BB. If I move a message out of my inbox to a .pst file it stays in my inbox. I have set up a seperate exchange folder "To Be Filed." I move everything in to this folder before moving it to a .pst and all works fine. I am not sure why the BB does not handle this well, but I can live with it.

Last complaint about the device I love (BB8800 on Cingular/AT&T) is the poor third party PIM support. That should be solved soon as both Iambic Software (Agendus) and WebIS (Pocket Informant) are in the process of developing items for the Blackberry.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
    ...The issue you are seeing with improper syncing of items when you file is another pet peeve of mine with BB. If I move a message out of my inbox to a .pst file it stays in my inbox. I have set up a seperate exchange folder "To Be Filed." I move everything in to this folder before moving it to a .pst and all works fine. I am not sure why the BB does not handle this well, but I can live with it.
    I believe that was fixed/enhanced in OS 4.2 (possibly earlier). Not positive, but it might need a certain BES version as well.

I just confirmed I *do not* have this problem with my Curve running 4.2. FWIW, also make sure you have email deleted on both sides with <menu> Options->Email Reconciliation->Delete On:Mailbox&Handheld set. Moving mail off the server and into a .pst is in effect, deleting the mail from the server folder, so I think this option is critical to making things work more naturally.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    This was a good review. I have a Treo for my personal use and am a long time RIM BB guy for work. I credit this Round Robin for forcing me to take a closer look at the Blackberry (being a Palm guy). One thing I discovered on the BlackBerry was how they assigned some keyboard shortcuts as part of the OS on the Blackberry: 'R' opens the alarm page, 'U' opens the calculator, 'O' does options, 'A' opens the address book. All only when you're at the destop- but it does show some thought went into ease of use. I'd much prefer configuring myself and having the ability to access from within other programs...but that's why I'm posting this from a Treo. Still, credit is due to Blackberry and I can see why people like it.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Ah, shoot. I just realized I forgot something. I'll mention it in the next article - I love the old school square cursor.
    This prompted me to play with my custom themes (like skins, but not as flexible) some more. By default, the focus icon underlay is a yellow shaded circle. By adding a yellow square around it that was 25% bigger and making it's border a 3 pixel blue line, it's made a huge difference in being able to very, very easily tell where the cursor focus was (image below).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For BES email, you can use other program "Empower BES MailBox".
    It will shown only BES messages.

But it look like you use the BIS.
    You can separate each icon for each email account.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12