1.    #1  
    Since I'm currently using a Blackberry 8310 as part of the Round Robin this week, a cross-platform dig from RIM's CEO Mike Lazaridis is something I absolutely *have* to comment on:

“The Apple iPhone has severe limitations when it comes to effortless typing. Of course you have more screen space, with more artistic interactions, but that’s not enough. We’ve seen this before when Palm tried virtual keyboards. When they launched the Treo they licensed our keyboard,” Lazaridis said.
    Read: intomobile

Ok - fair point about the iPhone's soft keyboard. About Palm, though, well.. let's just say that Handspring (yes, this happened before Palm bought 'em) licensed your keyboard because your company is a *Sue - Happy - Madhouse* and not because there's something magical about BB keyboards. Although I'm only 3 days into my CrackBerry experience (see the relevant thread over at CrackBerry.com's forums - post there to win too, btw), I'm fairly sure I still prefer the Treo's keyboard. Just saying.

Moving on, Lazaridis had a few choice words for this site's platform:

“Windows Mobile isn’t that big a competitor…They are a modest force to RIM. Microsoft should be working at services, not at distributed PCs, which is what Windows Mobile actually still is.”

Microsoft should be working on services, eh? Maybe you weren't paying attention, but the day before your keynote at CTIA, Microsoft had a keynote of their own, announcing Microsoft System Center, Mobile Device Manager 2008. MSCMDM basically allows admins to manage Windows Mobile devices from the exact same interface they already use to manage Windows PCs. Frankly, having a mobile platform that's actually a “distributed PC” doesn't sound all that bad to me - Mo Power Mo Better.

...And really, Lazzy (can I call you “Lazzy?”), if you weren't afraid of Windows Mobile, would you really be developing a full Virtual Blackberry System to sit on top of our devices? Maybe you're just bitter because it looks like you're going to miss your “fall release” of the software. Oh... wait... you already did.

I think “Your overconfidence is your weakness,” there, Lazzy. I'm sure you'd reply “Your faith in your friends manufacturing partners is yours!”, but then we'd be calling RIM the evil Empire and Microsoft the Rebellion and that might get a little confusing for everybody. Moving on.

Yes, yes, I'm just stirring the pot here, but it's fun and everybody loves a little smacktalk. I'll have my initial thoughts on the BlackBerry 8310 up tomorrow, so be sure to check back. Here's a hint, though: I'll be nicer to CrackBerry fans in that article, but not entirely nice. Meanwhile, we'll call this a Round Robin Official contest post here too - let's have some more lighthearted trash talk, eh?
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 11/14/2007 at 10:15 AM.
    Currently it goes like this:

Exchange------>BES------->Blackberry NOC-------->Blackberry handheld

Its turning into

Exchange------>WM handheld

RIMM is being dis-intermediated. They better start diversifying, because pretty soon there is not going to be anywhere left for them to go.

Surur
    maybe RIM should license their OS to feature-phone handset makers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    maybe RIM should license their OS to feature-phone handset makers...
    I've heard that their OS leaves a bit to be desired so I don't know if that would do them much good... ;-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    While I am a BB user/lover...seems as though Mikes head gotta a lil big on those words, WinMob is what I would consider the only threat out there at this point..iPhone is on a diff level, but WinMob is appealing to all those BB users in all the same aspects a BB does when it comes to usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post
    Since I'm currently using a Blackberry 8310 as part of the Round Robin this week, a cross-platform dig from RIM's CEO Mike Lazaridis is something I absolutely *have* to comment on:

Read: intomobile

Ok - fair point about the iPhone's soft keyboard. About Palm, though, well.. let's just say that Handspring (yes, this happened before Palm bought 'em) licensed your keyboard because your company is a *Sue - Happy - Madhouse* and not because there's something magical about BB keyboards. Although I'm only 3 days into my CrackBerry experience (see the relevant thread over at CrackBerry.com's forums - post there to win too, btw), I'm fairly sure I still prefer the Treo's keyboard. Just saying.

so that's why the treo 300 had that wonderful volume/everything rocker on ther left spine....hmmmm....and also why newer treos don't have it anymore?

cause I miss it a lot...sometimes i wish I could do a transplant and take one from a blackberry and put it on my treo
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    The only thing I've ever really liked about the Blackberry is the looks of the current models. I think that almost anyone can pick up a WM, POS or even an iphone and start using one without instructions. I don't think most techies can do that with a Blackberry.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Pretty bold words...Windows Mobile devices are already getting more popular in enterprise markets and I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of them as time goes on. BB/RIM isn't going anywhere but neither is WM.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Recently switched to a T-Mobile Curve (BB 8820) and aside from the email experience I think it is much better than my Treo 650. I would have moved to another Treo if there was one on the GSM platform worth moving to. But there isn't and any new models are so far out that I couldn't wait. I will however give the new Palm devices a hard look when they come out (if they do). I'm not convinced that Palm is going to survive their recent series of mis-steps. Not that I think BB is going to hurt them but I believe WM will. I guess time will tel...
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Recently switched to a T-Mobile Curve (BB 8820) and aside from the email experience I think it is much better than my Treo 650.
    Hey - so I'm interested in this question. I'm starting up the article and I'm actually *not* planning on heaping praises upon BlackBerries for their email... why did you like the 650's email better?
    The only thing I've ever really liked about the Blackberry is the looks of the current models. I think that almost anyone can pick up a WM, POS or even an iphone and start using one without instructions. I don't think most techies can do that with a Blackberry.
    Your kidding right?.....You have to be....WinMob is the MOST complicated mobile OS out there, it CONSTANTLY needs tweaking to be a "user friendly" device, each WinMob device has to be customized for each individual user to use it effectively, most average users are lost when it comes to WinMob devices, despite the fact it has a familiar interface, I previously mentioned that WinMob users, "average" WinMob users, will never even know how to unleash the full power that WinMob can even offer, half the stuff on the device will go unutilized, PalmOS, similar, but not on the same level many users CAN pick up a PalmOS operated device and usally find their way around rather simply, through trial and error of course, BlackBerry devices, are direct and concise with their operation, point...click..read...done!...need to set up email...choose the icon "Personal Email Setup"...follow instructions...20 mins later you'll have email flowing into the device..everything is right there indicated by a specific icon....Need help?..click on "BlackBerry Help!"..one thing that spreads as still being a difficult item across ALL mobile OS's is corp email acounts.....NO mobile OS has made this an easy procedure, all of them cause confusion for people...working for AT&T data support, I get to hear every gripe possible about every Mobile OS out there...the one that users have the most trouble with is WinMob, I've had WinMob users here agree with me in their comments, it's a hard OS for "average" users to deal with..next in line for tech support, truthfully, does come BlackBerry devices, but not due to the difficulty of it, not because users have trouble setting things up, but simply based on stupid things, like the user changed the password on their email account without updating the exact same password in their BIS setup, little things like that...PalmOS customers seem to never call in,maybe it's cause the OS is older and most people have grown used to using it, BUT WinMob based Treo users always call...wonder why?..I can't speak for iPhone users cause AT&T does not provide support for those, all that gets pushed to Apple...but users not being able to pick up a BB and not easily pick it up, is bunk....if any NEW BB users out there wish to speak up on how hard the BB OS is too use....now's the time...

/me steps off the soapbox and welcomes others to step in.
    Not to disagree with your statement about WM users needing a lot of support but the two examples you give are actually not very good, in that for example system-wide help is available from the start menu for built-in apps and any cooperative 3rd party apps, and of course in WM6 e-mail acount setup is part of the device setup routine, right up there with regional settings and time, and many accounts can be auto-configured by the setup Wizard.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 11/15/2007 at 12:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Your kidding right?.....You have to be....WinMob is the MOST complicated mobile OS out there, it CONSTANTLY needs tweaking to be a "user friendly" device, each WinMob device has to be customized for each individual user to use it effectively, most average users are lost when it comes to WinMob devices, despite the fact it has a familiar interface, I previously mentioned that WinMob users, "average" WinMob users, will never even know how to unleash the full power that WinMob can even offer, half the stuff on the device will go unutilized, PalmOS, similar, but not on the same level many users CAN pick up a PalmOS operated device and usally find their way around rather simply, through trial and error of course, BlackBerry devices, are direct and concise with their operation, point...click..read...done!...need to set up email...choose the icon "Personal Email Setup"...follow instructions...20 mins later you'll have email flowing into the device..everything is right there indicated by a specific icon....Need help?..click on "BlackBerry Help!"..one thing that spreads as still being a difficult item across ALL mobile OS's is corp email acounts.....NO mobile OS has made this an easy procedure, all of them cause confusion for people...working for AT&T data support, I get to hear every gripe possible about every Mobile OS out there...the one that users have the most trouble with is WinMob, I've had WinMob users here agree with me in their comments, it's a hard OS for "average" users to deal with..next in line for tech support, truthfully, does come BlackBerry devices, but not due to the difficulty of it, not because users have trouble setting things up, but simply based on stupid things, like the user changed the password on their email account without updating the exact same password in their BIS setup, little things like that...PalmOS customers seem to never call in,maybe it's cause the OS is older and most people have grown used to using it, BUT WinMob based Treo users always call...wonder why?..I can't speak for iPhone users cause AT&T does not provide support for those, all that gets pushed to Apple...but users not being able to pick up a BB and not easily pick it up, is bunk....if any NEW BB users out there wish to speak up on how hard the BB OS is too use....now's the time...

/me steps off the soapbox and welcomes others to step in.
    Darn...that's the longest single sentence I've ever seen. I can't argue with you on your points, but you have completely missed my point. What I said is that anyone can pick up a WM, Palm OS or iphone and at least be able to use it. I didn't say they'd know how to use everything or even most of the things they are capable of doing. In fact, I think most people who have those phones can only use them for a fraction of what they are good for. But to pick up a Blackberry and even figure out how to not only make a call, but even if you're lucky enough to get into the contacts, trying to get out of contacts and back to another thing takes knowing the phone or studying how to do it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    But to pick up a Blackberry and even figure out how to not only make a call, but even if you're lucky enough to get into the contacts, trying to get out of contacts and back to another thing takes knowing the phone or studying how to do it.
    Figuring out how to make a call is pretty easy. There's a green button, a red button and a number pad. What else does anybody need to know.