1.    #1  
    if so, I'm in!

It is only a demo unit but this demo unit is wayyy better than any Treo IMO. Watch the first video to see it in action.
    engadget
    engadget2
    engadget3
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    if so, I'm in!

It is only a demo unit but this demo unit is wayyy better than any Treo IMO.
    So it has another icon-based screen and runs Google Maps and takes calls...and?

I guess I need to see more than this to convince me it's any better/worse than current offerings. I need to see what is different about it besides some graphics.

Just from the "looks", I'm not sure how it seems much different from one of these:

Edit: The videos are nice and it will be nice OS, but I guess besides the cool graphics, I would like to see how it all pans out in the market/industry and with the carriers.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11/12/2007 at 02:00 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Looks like the same ODM, Palm/Asus/HTC??
    Software in the video looks good, not groundbreaking, but good. The key will be how it integrates from application to application, and as long as it follows thought processes and doesn't try and 'teach' a new way of thinking.

I like it from a technical perspective, but I have other reservations. Something about this doesn't feel kosher to me.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Given that it is so early, with the SDK only coming out today, it should be interesting to see what comes of this OS. How much will individual carriers limit features? I imagine it will have more capabilities then carriers might allow. As much as I liked the video, I thought, what is going on here that my Palm can't currently do? As Antoine said, application-to-application integration will tell how well this works along with its stability.
    Palm is toast. Bye bye palm. Bye bye. Get off the stage. Hurry up now...
    Maybe, but where's your evidence? As more than one company has demonstrated, designing an OS & interface for a pocket-sized device is much different than for a desktop device. And developing an intrgrated set of PIM and comm apps is much dofferent than anything Google has shown us before.

I've lost count of the number of 'Treo Killers' to hit the market since the 600 hit the shelves. The Treo's still here, and still selling well.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
  8.    #8  
    Google will do it. There have been many Treo killers before I agree, but none backed by the monolith that is Google. They already have pim apps which are now seeing mobile releases of those apps. Calendar, maps, documents, google notes. Sure you cannot edit yet but I predict once they have the google phones in place you will be able to edit as well as view as well as have an offline feature (google gears already in place for desktop) as well as other pim apps. All you naysayers will eat your words! Google is on top of it all
    The issue though is this: the Google phone/OS won't be out till "mid 2008" (assuming there are no delays, which is always dubious when it comes to big launches).

HTC has been mentioned as the first OEM to release a device with Android and they (HTC) have said that the Euro-GSM market is first.

That means (I think realistically) we won't see any type of Google Phone till late 2008, maybe even early 2009 if carrier and FCC approval run into some bumps. In a way, that's good as we in the U.S. won't be the beta testers and will probably have more tried and tested software to choose from.

The flip side of that is this:
    • WM 6.1 (with their new or updated UI) will have been out for awhile
    • iPhone 2 plus 3rd party programs will be out as well

Around late 2008/early 2009 we'll also be getting ready for WM "Photon" and hopefully even hearing about Palm OS II. Sprint will also be in active roll-out of Wimax (plus, ironically, Google might have bought them at this point!).

So while Android sounds good right now, it'll be at least a year if not longer, before we might get one and even then, the market will have shifted. Today's current devices and OSs will have been significantly updated and next-gen platforms will be gearing up for release as well. In other words, I think a lot of this excitement will be tempered by current competition. Either way, I think 2009 will be quite interesting. ;-)

Wait there is talks of sprint being bought out by Google? I would also think by that time frame you mentioned we might see a touch screen Nokia phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Wait there is talks of sprint being bought out by Google? I would also think by that time frame you mentioned we might see a touch screen Nokia phone?
    Yeah, put it under speculation, not even rumor but...

Google to acquire Sprint Nextel for Mobile WiMax?

Right and Sprint is supposed to get a Wimax'd Nokia tab device on launch, which would be kind of nice (N800), but it's not a phone last I checked--just an internet tablet device. I'm unaware of any Wimax phones as of now.

12.    #12  
    I hope google buys sprint. i must admit i am a google fan boy! so also look at the fact that palm is not releasing this newly designed linux phone until 2009 - think of what will change in that time. will they release a phone for today's standards, 2009 standards or beyond??
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    I hope google buys sprint. i must admit i am a google fan boy! so also look at the fact that palm is not releasing this newly designed linux phone until 2009 - think of what will change in that time. will they release a phone for today's standards, 2009 standards or beyond??
    Sprint and Google are already in bed with WiMax rolling out in 08. There is no telling what avenues this could leave for Sprint but only one thing I think I will bet my chips on...something good. I do admit, I would like to see Google buy Sprint. Sprint would come full circle and be where they should.
    at&t iPhone3G