1.    #1  
    This is an official Round Robin Contest thread

CrackBerry Kevin has written up his Palm Treo 680 First Impressions article over at crackberry.com.

I'm very interested in reading a BlackBerry addict's thoughts on a Palm OS Treo. The BlackBerry and the Treo both have nice keyboards but there are so many differences. Kevin's initial thoughts are a great read and I look forward to his final thoughts.

And I look forward to your thoughts on Kevin's article so start posting and get your contest entries in!
    Should the article comments be appearing here? I thought the rest of the article comments in this round robin were.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonnot03 View Post
    Should the article comments be appearing here? I thought the rest of the article comments in this round robin were.
    Article comments are split in a little bit of a weird way. WMExperts and Phone different have their comments integrated into their blog posts. On TreoCentral we manually make a thread and link it from the story.

CrackBerry.com is our new kid, so they're not integrated and we'll probably leave it that way - they're a pretty big community and trying to merge the two would just be too crazy.
    Every time I tried to read the article, it kept going to visorcentral.com... Weird... Maybe Kevin's trying to tell me to regress in technology...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Same here. I suppose we are not meant to read it.
    With the startup troubles and other things going on that Kevin was dealing with it doesn't appear he will have enough time to give the Treo a proper test drive. One of the Treo's great strengths is its versatility but that requires some setup time and installing some of the many fine 3rd-party applications.

Of Kevin's first impressions I was amused that the Treo struck him as similar to an older Blackberry. On the surface that might be true, but I think an older Treo was far more capable than an older Blackberry and the same is true of the newer ones albeit the advantage is smaller. You just have to get to know it.

I looked at a Blackberry seriously 2 years ago. Beyond the nice email its capabilities were a mere subset of the Treo's.
    Kevin noted that "a ton of hand/finger movement is required to get around and use the phone." Not true if the Treo is set up for speed. It is designed for one-hand operation where appropriate. I can do most common things--phone, calendar, email, web sites--with just my thumb and sometimes the index finger of my other hand. Of course, I make good use of menu categories, key activation, list mode (icons take up too much space) and the touch screen.

Where the Treo has a big speed advantage over the Blackberry is with special applications where the touch screen is often the only practical way to use them. Trying to play games (backgammon, cribbage, dominoes, etc.), use GPS programs (GeoNiche, CacheMate, etc.) or navigate a large database (I use HanDBase) with only keys is an exercise in frustration and even impossible in some cases.

The Blackberry's trackball seems old-fashioned to me. It's one alternative to a 5-way button but is no substitute for a touch screen.
    Kevin's observation that the Treo is less integrated rings true. The Treo's OS originated long before there were smart phones and it shows. The phone is just another app to the Treo.

Is this bad? I don't know, I guess it depends on how you use it. I have had Palms and Treos for many years and the PDA functions are just as, if not more, important than the phone. Being connected all the time and interrupted by messages and calls is not my priority. Judging by the many phone users I see not paying attention to what they are doing I would guess I am the minority.

A new OS is sorely needed but the Blackberry's is marginally better from what I've seen. Of the devices in this group the iPhone has the greatest potential.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Nice comments Geo-Treo. I echo the sentiment that this review missed the ease of navigating the Treo by not recognizing the different options. The touch screen is one way that will get you there, and so are the quick keys. Enabling quick key use to any application, or phone#, or web page (through third party aps- I use butler, but theres many more) makes it feel even more meshed with your brains desire. More time with the 680 might have opened the door to true ease and quickness this ancient Palm OS is still capable of.
    I've also used a BB for years, and see the wheel as okay, but limited- in the all important area of games, for one thing, but also in trying to multi-task. It may be that I'm just a fumbler, but I've hung up on work calls too many times trying to get to a different screen with the thumbwheel that now I dont even try anymore.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I actually don't use quickkey. Because I use KeyCap which let me hold down a key for number and double tap for capital letter.

However, holding down the home key should be fast enough for 90% of the task switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    ... Of the devices in this group the iPhone has the greatest potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Enabling quick key use to any application, or phone#, or web page (through third party aps- I use butler, but theres many more) makes it feel even more meshed with your brains desire. More time with the 680 might have opened the door to true ease and quickness this ancient Palm OS is still capable of.
    Butler is a nice addition although many quick key "Favorites" can be set through the General Preferences in the phone menu Options--one of the time-saving features a short-time user may not discover.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    Butler is a nice addition although many quick key "Favorites" can be set through the General Preferences in the phone menu Options--one of the time-saving features a short-time user may not discover.
    Quick keys are great on their own.
    Butler just adds the ability to use quick keys from within an application to go directly to another, as well as enabling the red and green phone buttons and alt home buttons to be quick keys- for example I 'alt-red' to quickly turn on bluetooth.
    Butler is just nice, quick keys that come with the Palm are essential .
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo
    Quote:
    ... Of the devices in this group the iPhone has the greatest potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    Thats because its so far behind. I laugh every time I read how eagerly iPhone users wait for the next update, that may actually bring wonderful things like...... multiple SMS recipients!!! or an actual TO Do list!!!

Like I said, lots of potential to eventually catch up... one day.

Surur