1.    #1  

We may have made a tactical error in using the Tilt for the Smartphone Round Robin, folks. It is incredibly powerful - WiFi, GPS, decent RAM and Processor - but also the only “Two Hands Required” device in our lineup. Still, Kevin was able to see past that to get a pretty good take on Windows Mobile from a BlackBerry user's point of view:

Unfortunately, though I came to understand and respect the Windows Mobile platform, my final conclusion is that it’s not a good operating system for the hardware available today. The Tilt is a cutting edge device, yet running Windows Mobile it is unbearably slow and a fully-charged battery never lasted more than 18 hours while I had it in my possession. Windows Mobile is a beast of an OS, and therefore needs a lot of MHz (and therefore a lot of battery juice) to get the job done.
    Read: Smartphone Round Robin: Final Thoughts on Windows Mobile and the ATT Tilt | CrackBerry.com

He's definitely right about the battery - it's not ideal on the Tilt. As for WM requiring too many resources for today's hardware, well, I'm not 100% positive I can agree. More is always better, of course, but I also think that with the right tweaks WM can run well even on memory-nemic devices like the HTC Touch. Here's a question: what WM devices have great, non-tweaked, out of the box experiences? I'd vote for the Treo 750 in that camp, are there others?

Go take a read of Kevin's article for sure and give 'em some comment love for a chance to win in the Round Robin Contest. You can do the same here - I'm curious, which device might have been better for a BlackBerry user? Treo 750? Moto Q9h?

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...t_look_at.html

Official Round Robin Contest Thread
    Also, kudos to Kevin for being the first of the editors to make a video of his device.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I really think the UBiQUiO 503G was a great device out of the box. It has a great screen and it is very fast. Yes there are some firmware issues, but the device in general is great!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I think it might be good to have a double handed device in just to see the differences it creates against all these one handed devices. Some people might hate it, some might love it.

Personally I'm wondering why a Symbian device wasn't included?
    Quote Originally Posted by jobooth321 View Post
    I think it might be good to have a double handed device in just to see the differences it creates against all these one handed devices. Some people might hate it, some might love it.

Personally I'm wondering why a Symbian device wasn't included?
    The reason for not including a Symbian device were given somewhere around here... Basically, Symbian hasn't penetrated the OS market at this point and, thus, wasn't included in this round robin.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I think the AT&T Tilt was a perfect device to include, but in Kevin's case, I think the perception would have been a little better if he had sayyy...a T-Mobile dash to use rather then the Tilt...Kevin's thoughts on it being a "2 handed device" may not have been a concern if that was the case, I suggest the dash, due to it's size it's pretty much on par with the size of Kev's curve and still have the WinMob experience with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    I think the AT&T Tilt was a perfect device to include, but in Kevin's case, I think the perception would have been a little better if he had sayyy...a T-Mobile dash to use rather then the Tilt...Kevin's thoughts on it being a "2 handed device" may not have been a concern if that was the case, I suggest the dash, due to it's size it's pretty much on par with the size of Kev's curve and still have the WinMob experience with it.
    i thought about the Blackjack, actually. But part of me wanted to force a touchscreen on him - it's crazy to me that RIM hasn't done that yet. Guess we'll see what happens with the 9000 series (my money is on some sort of half-touchscreen like the outside of the RAZR2)
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The Tilt can be made more one handed just by installing a few apps.
    I think with more time on the Tilt I could have grown to like it... I would have got the hang of all the input methods and if more speed could be hacked into it I would have tackle that which would make a world of difference. There's no doubt the Windows Mobile OS is a full blown one and that the Tilt is full of features.

I have a feeling that by the time the Round Robin is done I'll want to own one of each device. Variety is the Spice of Life!
    Kevin Michaluk
    Community Editor, CrackBerry.com
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Have I mentioned that I REALLY like my Q? I think WM Smartphone is a great compromise between usability and power, and the Blackjack may have been a better choice for noobs.
    I must say that for blackberry or palm os treo users, nothing beats that QWERTYbar form factor. I know enough tricks to use to customize my devices so the slide out keyboard Tilt design doesn't bother me as much (and the new SIPs like TouchPal have REALLY made it much more liveable). Overall, the different things I can do with my Tilt really make it all worth it to me.
    Excellent series so far. I am surprised that we have finally come to a point where our technology has "too much functionality." I ditto rijc99
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    The reason for not including a Symbian device were given somewhere around here... Basically, Symbian hasn't penetrated the OS market at this point and, thus, wasn't included in this round robin.
    Did you mean to say 'US market'? Globally, Symbian is on 70% plus of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Did you mean to say 'US market'? Globally, Symbian is on 70% plus of smartphones.
    Can I get an amen.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    As for WinMob on the Tilt being "unbearably slow," I'm interested to see what HTC does with devices running Android.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    As for WinMob on the Tilt being "unbearably slow," I'm interested to see what HTC does with devices running Android.
    i'm with you on that; *eagerly waiting for android*

to be honest, i haven't really noticed any wm6 devices that "play well" with their OS in terms of speed.

who knows