Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    and only RIM is smart enough to leverage them, among the smartphone manufacturers.
    That's a little unfair... The only reason BB's support Java out of the box is because they are Java-based devices running a Java-based OS. Support of J2ME is a biproduct.

However, I do agree that other smartphone vendors would do well to support Java.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I too went from using a treo to using a blackberry and the biggest adjustment was not having a touchscreen, and the horrible browser! I am curious about the opera app...I recently turned the internet off my phone completely because it was always hit or miss and didn't want to get dependent to only realize that I wasn't getting all my emails! I would love to try another phone/company but I feel that aren't many better options...AT&T being the worst on my list for customer service, tech support and phone options! But I could be bitter! Overall, I really like the blackberry Curve's idea but feel it has a lot to be desired!
    As a long time Palm user, I feel that I can say without reservation that the Blackberry curve is a solid device that works great all the time. The Treo resets so much that it became useless to me. The Treo does not have the battery life that I need to get through the day. I get two days with power to spare with heavy usage on the Blackberry. The bluetooth on the Treo always gave me problems. On the Blackberry, the bluetooth is seamless. In my humble opinion, Blackberry has pulled way into the lead and Palm has allot of catching up to do. If you try a Blackberry, you will get used to it very fast and soon there after you will be wondering, why I put up with the Treo and all its quirks for so long?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc View Post
    On the Blackberry, the bluetooth is seamless. In my humble opinion, Blackberry has pulled way into the lead and Palm has allot of catching up to do. If you try a Blackberry, you will get used to it very fast and soon there after you will be wondering, why I put up with the Treo and all its quirks for so long?
    The Blackberry does have good bluetooth connectivity- the one area where it had advantage over the Treo 700. I was unhappy with bluetooth on the Treo, but the 755p finally seems to have it right.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I've had zero problems with Bluetooth my 680. BT PC dongle, 2 headsets, and a BT GPS. Best of all, I didn't need a 3rd party app to make it work right - something I've had to do with most of the stuff I do with my Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Bla1ze, thanks for the inquiry.
    Corporate users of the Blackberry, like myself, experieince multiple random 'Blackberry Holidays' where the device takes itself off the Edge network. It's been a huge issue at my company as it happens regularly to the vast majority of employees. Our IT department has had fits about this as I understand Blackberry advised them them they are aware of the issue but are not going to spend resources resolving the issue on our devices.
    I'd mentioned it in an earlier post, but probably should have explained it better in the last post. The issue doesn't leave much love for the device; it simply doesn't perform its main purpose when taking itself off the network. Incidentally, it is not an 'out of coverage' issue.

Thank you, for taking the time to further explain what you meant by your comments, working for AT&T Data Support I do see on a regular basis of this happening, but I have to admit not in the extremes it sounds as though your company seems to be going through, under normal circumstances that I've witnessed this happen, a power cycle will automatically correct the issue, as for the IT Depts explanation, this is something that from speaking to RIM assoc. all day long I have never really comes across as being a legitimate problem that is physically known to RIM and that they simply refuse to fix due to cost, in all cases I've come across it was always based on a device issue (ie..software updates,bad program installation etc)...now this is in no way an "argument" of the matter or "fanboyism" for the BB devices, just sharing common experiences based on information avail to me
  7.    #27  
    I haven't had any problems with Bluetooth on my Treo 680 either. I've used three differerent Bluetooth headsets with it and all of them paired and worked fine.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Thank you, for taking the time to further explain what you meant by your comments, working for AT&T Data Support I do see on a regular basis of this happening, but I have to admit not in the extremes it sounds as though your company seems to be going through, under normal circumstances that I've witnessed this happen, a power cycle will automatically correct the issue, as for the IT Depts explanation, this is something that from speaking to RIM assoc. all day long I have never really comes across as being a legitimate problem that is physically known to RIM and that they simply refuse to fix due to cost, in all cases I've come across it was always based on a device issue (ie..software updates,bad program installation etc)...now this is in no way an "argument" of the matter or "fanboyism" for the BB devices, just sharing common experiences based on information avail to me
    Hey no problem Bla1ze and thank you for the response as well. It sounds to me like you have a great deal of knowledge in your profession and I appreciate your insight on the issue.

It's true that it happens on a fairly regular basis- not debilitating, but it seems to go on break when either the company is trying to send something or I want to push off a quick msg without having to phone-tree. It happened this morning when I got up- but instead of being out of Big EDGE and into little 'edge', it was all the way to SOS mode- terms I am sure you have more technical names for. It's true that some of our proprietary software could be causing it to happen more often- way beyond my knowledge level there.

With several thousand of these deployed, it has created issues for our in-company tech support. It was enough of an issue for them to distribute communications several months back regarding it...along with telling us to avoid turning the BB off. Any insights as to why that is? although when you do turn it off it takes a long time for it to come alive again.

In any event, I think every device we deal with is technology and therefore has its' issues- I don't mean to pick on the Blackberry, it is just the one I've dealt with, other than my Palm.

I'll leave you with the thought that either of these devices gives me much less trouble than my Vista notebook- so the smartphone industry must be doing something right.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I'd like to try a crackberry just to prove to myself that the Treo is top dog.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12