1.    #1  
    Things I really miss:

1) Touch screen. Simply cannot surf the web, navigate email, or play games as well without a touch screen. This is Palm's #1 edge over the entire Blackberry line.

2) Ringer switch/profiles. Blackberry profiles are a disaster. They are slow to load, take forever to change, and at the same time (a) too customizeable and (b) not customizeable enough. Basically there are 100 settings for sounds -- for every application, which will take you an hour to change. But nothing for screen brightness, security, call forward, or anything else other than ringers. And the no ringer switch makes switching profiles even worse.

3) 3rd party apps. Obviously this where Palm is king, though I don't find myself missing all those programs that much yet. Plane trips will be less fun, though.

4) Off button. BB has none, though there is a standby mode if you hold a button down. What I miss is a quick press screen off button.

5) Screen brightness control. Not only is it not in profiles, it is a huge pain to change brightness. No quick access.

6) Sprint-EVDO browsing. Okay, more of a network issue. I hate Sprint and they are evil thieves but the data network is 100 times faster than T-mobile. WiFi on the BB is nice, but mostly a gimmick -- it is nowhere near laptop speeds. Still less fast than my 755p Sprint.

7) Palm's contact manager. Still the best and quickest. BB's is terrible.

8) Getting media card out is a huge hassle.

Things I like:

1) No resets!

2) Switching between applications. I had no idea how great this would be. No having to restart the browser if you get a phone call, or want to check an address.

3) Camera. I don't use it much but when you do -- 2MB and a flash. Nice.

4) Less lag

5) Better form factor

6) Email. Better and quicker than Goodlink (I did a speed test before shutting Goodlink off). Attachments. Video and Audio. You can have all your accounts in one mailbox. You have to learn all of the tricks, but it is far superior once you get the hang of it. Goodlink's failure to innovate is worse than Palm's -- 4 years and basically the same product. Only think that stinks about BB email is no flag control.

7) IM programs included. I don't use them b/c BB messenger is better.

All in all, I still think the Treo is a better product -- full package with 3rd apps, Goodlink, etc. But BB is innovating so much more these days, and it is by far more preferred in the corporate world. It amazes me that after 4 years of virtually no improvements, Treo is still in the lead. But the lead has shrunk from miles to inches. And I suspect the next generation BB (especially if they make some of the changes I would suggest) will be better than Treo. If I had to invest in one product today, I'd go BB. That said, I wish I could have made the switch in 12-24 months, but I didn't have a choice (corporate switch).
    Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Samsung i300 > Samsung i330 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
    Things I really miss:

1) Touch screen. Simply cannot surf the web, navigate email, or play games as well without a touch screen. This is Palm's #1 edge over the entire Blackberry line.

2) Ringer switch/profiles. Blackberry profiles are a disaster. They are slow to load, take forever to change, and at the same time (a) too customizeable and (b) not customizeable enough. Basically there are 100 settings for sounds -- for every application, which will take you an hour to change. But nothing for screen brightness, security, call forward, or anything else other than ringers. And the no ringer switch makes switching profiles even worse.

3) 3rd party apps. Obviously this where Palm is king, though I don't find myself missing all those programs that much yet. Plane trips will be less fun, though.

4) Off button. BB has none, though there is a standby mode if you hold a button down. What I miss is a quick press screen off button.

5) Screen brightness control. Not only is it not in profiles, it is a huge pain to change brightness. No quick access.

6) Sprint-EVDO browsing. Okay, more of a network issue. I hate Sprint and they are evil thieves but the data network is 100 times faster than T-mobile. WiFi on the BB is nice, but mostly a gimmick -- it is nowhere near laptop speeds. Still less fast than my 755p Sprint.

7) Palm's contact manager. Still the best and quickest. BB's is terrible.

8) Getting media card out is a huge hassle.

Things I like:

1) No resets!

2) Switching between applications. I had no idea how great this would be. No having to restart the browser if you get a phone call, or want to check an address.

3) Camera. I don't use it much but when you do -- 2MB and a flash. Nice.

4) Less lag

5) Better form factor

6) Email. Better and quicker than Goodlink (I did a speed test before shutting Goodlink off). Attachments. Video and Audio. You can have all your accounts in one mailbox. You have to learn all of the tricks, but it is far superior once you get the hang of it. Goodlink's failure to innovate is worse than Palm's -- 4 years and basically the same product. Only think that stinks about BB email is no flag control.

7) IM programs included. I don't use them b/c BB messenger is better.

All in all, I still think the Treo is a better product -- full package with 3rd apps, Goodlink, etc. But BB is innovating so much more these days, and it is by far more preferred in the corporate world. It amazes me that after 4 years of virtually no improvements, Treo is still in the lead. But the lead has shrunk from miles to inches. And I suspect the next generation BB (especially if they make some of the changes I would suggest) will be better than Treo. If I had to invest in one product today, I'd go BB. That said, I wish I could have made the switch in 12-24 months, but I didn't have a choice (corporate switch).

Thanks for the thoughts.

I agree with your assessment - this is why I cannot switch to a BB.

Even if I have to invest in a new product today, I would go WM6 (or iPhone, once they put the basic stuff in there).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Even if I have to invest in a new product today, I would go WM6 (or iPhone, once they put the basic stuff in there).
    My goodness, the world must be coming to an end for you to be considering an iPhone.
    Interesting, how good is BB version of the pTunes? Any way to download podcast automatically?
    As a long time Palm user, I feel that I can say, with reasonable certainty, that my Treos froze up and reset so frequently that they were essentially useless. I always had bluetooth problems and the battery life was very weak. I need a phone that works all the time. The Treo is a brick like high tech toy that needs constant tweaking and works only some of the time. Sorry, I do not need a toy. I need a rock solid, reliable phone that i can have confidence in. My BB Curve does everything it claims to do right out of the box. The BB logic is easy to learn and is very intuitive. The bluetooth is seamless and the battery life is extraordinary. The form is way better. In summery, the BB Curve meets and exceeds all of my needs without any problems.
    Last edited by mtgdoc; 12/05/2007 at 07:44 AM.
    I'm the same way mtgdoc...I wish I could embrace BB b/c of it's dependability as a phone. But I would miss all of the WM toys (3rd party apps, free tethering via PDANet, Slingplayer Mobile, Phonealarm) and would not be as happy with the device. Yes my Treo requires frequent resets and isn't the best phone but I'm not sure I could live with the BB limitations. I'm getting close to trying, though!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)