1.    #1  
    Hi all -

So, Windows Mobile guy on the iPhone here, quite possibly the two groups that are most antithetical to each other. I'm liking it so far (more details as my first article goes up later today), which might come as a surprise to people who've seem WMExperts' coverage of the iPhone so far:

- SDK? We Got Your SDK Right Here, no longer really relevant since Apple announced one is coming
    - The iPhone is not a Smartphone, since recanted, sorta
    - HTC Touch vs iPhone Part 1
    - HTC Touch vs. iPhone Part 2, Video Smackdown <--this is the big one, a long feature by feature vid.
    - iPhone vs. Windows Mobile, Email Smackdown <-- the 'tap count' article
    Anyhow, I still have a *few* things to say about the iPhone that I'll touch on this week. I will say that it's a completely different experience when the iPhone is your "main brain" instead of a toy sitting on your desk (Jennifer can relate!).

Questions - some of which may be answered elsewhere but this is an official round robin thread so I'll give folks a chance to jump in here:

- Favorite Web Apps? I adore the facebook app - it makes me use facebook more than I otherwise would. (Yes, that amounts to an open invitation to friend me on facebook. )
    - I hacked the iPhone with the tiff exploit (fun!), mainly so I could get a todo list. What are folks other fav. productivity apps? Is ApolloIM still 'tops'?
    - Related: Can anybody help me get past level 9 in lights out? ARG!
    - semi-related: I can't get address book on a mac to sync with 1and1's exchange server, meaning I'm getting close to having wildly unsynced and different address book data and it makes me very uncomfortable
    - So, every now and then I want to read a comment on a video on YouTube. But MobileSafari dumps me into the YouTube app right away. Esoteric problem, but still annoying.
    - Ringtones. I am in principle unhappy with buying them from iTunes. What's the latest on doing it myself with my own music?
    While I'm not an iPhone user, taking the round robin under consideration, I have looked into the ringtone situation for you, you may wish to review here now with that being said..if any iPhone user has a simpler, more practical way of doing this please share, as I am not 100% sure this method is still applicable.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    While I'm not an iPhone user, taking the round robin under consideration, I have looked into the ringtone situation for you, you may wish to review here now with that being said..if any iPhone user has a simpler, more practical way of doing this please share, as I am not 100% sure this method is still applicable.
    Yikes, that looks scary. I may see if iToner still works with 1.1.1...
    I haven't found any useful third party (hacker) apps, besides that paid Navigon service. The only good game is Lights.

You find more useful third party app on a hacked Motorola Razr.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I haven't found any useful third party (hacker) apps, besides that paid Navigon service. The only good game is Lights.

You find more useful third party app on a hacked Motorola Razr.
    That seems pretty harsh. I'm excited to try about a bunch of apps - Mobilecast, Pushr, SendSong, Apollo, VNsea, MobileTextEditor...
    Can't use ring tones?

Hmmm .. coming from Palm OS if feels as if you can 'trick out' your phone any way you wish ...

So, Can you:
    - Adjust Icons /get a new launcher
    - Upload a Mp3 from Itunes at home (let's say u own it already) and use that ring tone?
    - adjust the wallpaper

Also - there is NO to do list??? Did i read that correctly ?? is there a memo pad? or quick notes?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Can't use ring tones?

Hmmm .. coming from Palm OS if feels as if you can 'trick out' your phone any way you wish ...

So, Can you:
    - Adjust Icons /get a new launcher
    - Upload a Mp3 from Itunes at home (let's say u own it already) and use that ring tone?
    - adjust the wallpaper

Also - there is NO to do list??? Did i read that correctly ?? is there a memo pad? or quick notes?
    I can load up mp3s from iTunes and many of them are available to be made into ringtones for an extra buck. I can also use itones (going to try it for reals tonight) to get myown on there.

As for adjusting the launcher / wallpaper - you can if you hack it. If you do hack it, Summerboard is actually really cool.

That's right - no included ToDo, you have to use a 3rd party app on a hacked iPhone and it doesn't sync. there IS a notes app (with a horrible font), but it also does not yet sync.
    I'm confused -- you can set any photo in your photos application to be the wallpaper without hacking it.

Granted that you probably tried this yesterday, but iToner seems to be the only way to go for ringtones. I sadly don't have info for Windows folks at the moment.
    The beauty of the iPhone has me really thinking about getting an iPod Touch. But then I think about the 2nd gen iPhone and with the upcoming SDK, I wonder if it'll be THE device that makes me reconsider WM devices?

I for one am glad that the iPhone came out. Look at all of the innovation that has taken place in the 6 months that it's been out that has benefitted all smartphone users, particularly WM users. Devices like the Treo 500v and the T-Mobile Dash are putting more emphasis on the GUI and you have devices like the HTC Touch that show HTC is still willing to innovate.
    Exactly! I can't imagine what it would take for me to get an iPhone. It's so far off my radar screen of what I need in a phone. BUT, it's making everyone else wake up whether they really need to or not. Seems everybody but Palm is trying something iPhone-ish. I'm pretty happy with the power of current smartphones - it's the GUI and ease of use that has sucked. If WM and even Palm can offer slick interfaced devices with the versatility and 3rd party benefits they currently have the choices are bound to only get more exciting every month.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I for one am glad that the iPhone came out. Look at all of the innovation that has taken place in the 6 months that it's been out that has benefitted all smartphone users, particularly WM users.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hey Dieter,

During the iPhone/Touch smackdown, it was noted that email on the iPhone is somewhat deficient, i.e. cannot select multiple emails, etc.

With the risk of hijacking the thread (but I have to ask), I have recently acquired a BB Curve through work, and find the same to be true, i.e. I cannot select more than one email; unless of course there's something I've missed....

BTW, I'm not sure if you've had a chance to run with the Curve yet, will be interesting to see you impressions when you do.

Cheers,

Robbie.