Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine

Reflective or active matrix screen?
    Hi-res reflective like the Sony Clie 710, oh and 16bit color, and for Gods sake put a brightness control!!! And for a real gimme . . . put 16megs internal.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I think HS coming out with a PPC model is very wise. Diversification of your product lineup is generally a good thing. I hope HS doesn't come out with its own OS--I wouldn't buy it, because PPC and Palm are enough PalmOS's. Two major OS's in a sector is a good number I think consumer-wise. PCs, Macs (unix, linux, BeOS are very popular consumer level OS's really). PPC and Palm OS for handhelds.
    -Vincent
    My take on this is that HS will leave Palm OS and create their own OS with the help of Apple. They know that they need to do something drastic with their next model since a color Edge won't cut it any more with the Clie out. Mayby my logic is flawed but we have the Prism in many Apple ads, both on T.V. and in magazines. We have Hawkins talking like he is considering a different OS and we have a OS X on a Prism April Fools Joke. Connection here anyone? Then the other question is how much will this new unit, or full product line, cost? What will they do with the low end model? Will they support Springboards? How will they work with Windows? I also think Hawkins is talking to Gates so the OS on his handhelds will also work seemlessly with Windows.

Just My Thoughts
    --David
    I was more correct than I thought I was!

I'm not surprises about Handspring & Apple being close. I am surprised that they get along so well. I hope those new features on OSX come out soon!

One company who I would not be surprised at all if they bought out Palm would be IBM. It's not as fun to think about as Apple, but it's probably more realistic, and probably FAR less drastic.

If Handspring bought out Palm, it would be bizarre. Just plain Bizarre. I simply don't think that can happen without the death of certain products.

Then again, Palm, from rumors, has been doing quite well now. We'll find out soon.

---

Oh yes, about another OS. Handspring will ALWAYS favor Palm as its primary OS. (They signed a contract!) , or some modification of it.
    That doesn't surprise me one bit. What I would NOT be surprised by is Handspring offering the ability to run a Desktop OS on the Handheld VIA Springboard module. (OSX!)

I can garuntee you it'll never be PocketPC.
    ---
    ****-Richardson is now my best friend!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

mmm are our wifes related in anyway?
    My wife sometimes pretends she is interested in techno talk, but I know she only does it to please me . It's in 1 ear, out the other...
    I would tell my husband about this thread, but he thinks I have a Palm and I would hate to confuse him...
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    I would tell my husband about this thread, but he thinks I have a Palm and I would hate to confuse him...
    Does that mean you didn't turn him on to Palms, HS & the whole Palm economy?....
    I hope at Yuletide, he'll at least get a Christmas Clie! (Hey, I just made that up! Man, I'm just on a roll today....)
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
  7.    #48  

If you got him a CLIE for Christmas, you're set for the year, believe me!
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
  8.    #49  
    Originally posted by DGLewis
    Symbian?

http://www.symbiandevnet.com/techlib...fferent_os.htm
    What's the deal wiht Symbian anyway?
    Originally posted by bkbk

I hope at Yuletide, he'll at least get a Christmas Clie!
    Maybe he'll get a used VDX and I'll get a Christmas Clie!!

I've tried to interest him in the VDX, but he's not very technologically oriented. He has recently learned to send an email from scratch.

I've tried to interest him in the VDX, but he's not very technologically oriented. He has recently learned to send an email from scratch.
    Hmm.. start with a pager and work your way up!
    Jeff and Donna are well aware WIDs could turn HS into a much bigger company - selling devices based on Symbian could be a viable route - one that leapfrogs Redmond.
    Here's an amusing (to some anyway) morsel from PalmSource 2000 (Palm OS developer's conference), quoting Leander Kahney (Wired magazine) :
    "To demonstrate that the Palm can handle multimedia, he used a Handspring Prism handheld to play a snowboarding video and play a pop song... To show it could handle wireless communications, he plugged a cell phone module into the Prism's expansion slot and tried to phone Colly Myers, Symbian's CEO, in London. Getting only voicemail, Hawkins started a three-way conference call and then sent a Short Messaging Service message. "

More reading material on Symbian:-
    Gates rails at 'proprietary Symbian', looks for the insanity defence:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/11074.html
    Microsoft declares war on '(inaudible)' Sh... Symbian:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/14152.html
    Originally posted by DGLewis
    Jeff and Donna are well aware WIDs could turn HS into a much bigger company - selling devices based on Symbian could be a viable route - one that leapfrogs Redmond.
    Here's an amusing (to some anyway) morsel from PalmSource 2000 (Palm OS developer's conference), quoting Leander Kahney (Wired magazine) :
    "To demonstrate that the Palm can handle multimedia, he used a Handspring Prism handheld to play a snowboarding video and play a pop song... To show it could handle wireless communications, he plugged a cell phone module into the Prism's expansion slot and tried to phone Colly Myers, Symbian's CEO, in London. Getting only voicemail, Hawkins started a three-way conference call and then sent a Short Messaging Service message. "

More reading material on Symbian:-
    Gates rails at 'proprietary Symbian', looks for the insanity defence:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/11074.html
    Microsoft declares war on '(inaudible)' Sh... Symbian:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/14152.html
    Any links to pics of the Sybian interface?
    I know -- you get the Clie ...
    ... and give him a Clie made of clay!
    (Man, I still got it....)
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Unless you're going to give it to someone in the Armed Service. You need to remember a VDX is always cheaper at the PX.
    -Vincent
    Some of these jokes are just over what my tiny little brain can handle. Nonetheless, I feel I need to reply.

Uh... Takes one to know one!

SWISH!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    I know -- you get the Clie ...
    ... and give him a Clie made of clay!
    (Man, I still got it....)
    He'll get a clue if you give him a Clie made of clay, that's what I meant to say.... Okay, Jose?
  17.    #59  

He'll get a clue if you give him a Clie made of clay, that's what I meant to say.... Okay, Jose?
    CLIE, clay, say, Jose....
    Are green eggs and ham there on your tray?
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine
    CLIE, clay, say, Jose....
    Are green eggs and ham there on your tray?
    Hooray! Hooray! Green eggs and ham on my tray!
    Okay! Okay! Enough for me today!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast