Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Them's the rumors over the weekend. As we reported a month ago, it looks like Google intends to compete directly with Windows Mobile - offering not hardware but a full smartphone OS. They appear to have more than 30 partners on board - basically everybody you'd think that might be interested - and their OS should be full-featured

Google will announce an open-source development system for mobile applications that will contain a full set of components, including an operating system, a set of common application programming interfaces, a middleware layer, a customizable user interface and even a mobile browser, according to sources. Instant messaging standard protocols will also be supported.
    Read: Google to unveil mobile platform; target: iPhone?

Further rumors - Wind River is apparently going to be applying their embedded Linux know-how to the project. That particular bit should be interesting to those who followed the Foleo debacle, as Wind River was also on board for that project. Although many will see this as a shot at Microsoft, I'm willing to bet that it has Palm, planning their own Linux-based Smartphone OS, shaking in their boots.

The real challenge to Microsoft is that “Android,” as it is supposed to be called, is likely going to be offered for a license fee of approximately $0 to manufacturers. Some of the costs may be offset by some sort of mobile ad structure -- which I'm very skeptical could work - screen real estate is just too precious to waste pixels on ads.

The announcement is supposed to come at 11 Eastern.

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru...announced.html
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    So I wonder if I can load this on my AT&T Treo 750.....
    If forcing me to hear 10 second of ad will let me make calls for free, I would go for it.

IMO the weaking feature in the google lineup is easily the google chat/talk. They could have offer a compartible service to Skype but they dropped the ball.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Palm is screwed six ways from Sunday, aren't they?
    so let's see Palm is going to release a new handheld with the long awaited new & improved os & google's "android" phones we'll be released in mid 2008. Hmmm. PALM time to get up off your azzzz!!
    I meant to add Palm is releasing a "new & improved" os in 18 months & google phones will be available in 8!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Palm is screwed six ways from Sunday, aren't they?
    Sideways with a bad attitude and NO lube.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    According to this NY Times? article I read last night, which is a very interesting article focusing on the gPHone and it's head big wig, it said that Google was planning on using customer add-on services and software license agreements for 3rd party developers to support the platform. Now this morning it appears the story has changed:

But for now at least, Google will not put its brand on a phone. The software running on the phones may not even display the Google logo. Instead, Google is giving the software away to others who will build the phones. The company invested heavily in the project to ensure that all of its services are available on mobile phones. Its ultimate goal is to cash in on the effort by selling advertisements to mobile phone users, just as it does on Internet-connected computers.

--------------

The alliance represents a bold move by Google and its partners that mirrors the company’s efforts in the desktop computing industry to give away software and services and gain revenue through targeted advertising.

SOURCE
    I agree that an ad based financial revenue as the lifeblood for a platform would bomb in the long run because of the valuable screen real estate that is on the phone. I personally though welcome any competition. It seems that those are the are only real times that MS really offers advances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Sideways with a bad attitude and NO lube.
    Ouch...

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Palm would be smart to jump on this bandwagon and worry about not only the special sauce as Dieter mentions but the Garnet layer as a value add. Here's to hoping that Palm is smart enough to see this.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Ouch...

As I mentioned in another thread, I think Palm would be smart to jump on this bandwagon and worry about not only the special sauce as Dieter mentions but the Garnet layer as a value add. Here's to hoping that Palm is smart enough to see this.
    Agreed! Adding that to the article. Excellent point.
    Ouch...

Not sure if they can go against Giant Google but 2nd option is to make new PalmOS II open platform. Atleast that can excite current and future programmers to built something for Palm OS II.
    But I think since Android is releasing before Palm OS II, it has to suck real bad (highly unlikely) to give Palm chance to stay in market. But I will be watching Palm stock very closely for next 6 months.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Not sure if they can go against Giant Google but 2nd option is to make new PalmOS II open platform. Atleast that can excite current and future programmers to built something for Palm OS II.
    But I think since Android is releasing before Palm OS II, it has to suck real bad (highly unlikely) to give Palm chance to stay in market. But I will be watching Palm stock very closely for next 6 months.
    Point being is that there is no need for a PalmOSII. If Palm joined the Alliance and worried about developing the compatibility layer for Android then they could focus on what's important for their customers and let Google do the OS work.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I really think this is the end for Palm.
    Point being is that there is no need for a PalmOSII. If Palm joined the Alliance and worried about developing the compatibility layer for Android then they could focus on what's important for their customers and let Google do the OS work.
    Problem is, Palm wanted to have its own OS for all of its devices. I am with all of us here on Treocentral that foleo was a bad choice. But if Palm wants to introduce a new device (other than a smartphone) it will be a pain in ***. Anyways it will be horrible for Palm's PRPRPR $to$ $abandone$ $another$ $project$.

Also its hard to say how long will it take to release a new device on Antroid plateform if Palm did decide to go with it. Palm is majorly consist of programmers. What will happen then, fire all programmers????

Also Google got Sprint on this platform. Thats numero uno cell provider for Palm from historical prospect and I think dedication-wise.

Damn man....its so many decisions. I would hate myself to be in that position. Lets see what happens in next few weeks.

If google is not going to brand the OS/environment, Palm has just as much chance to make money on the "gPhone variants" as HTC.

What really bother me is this... Nokia make the Maemo Linux platform; Motorola has its own Linux platform; now both google and Palm are going to roll their own version of Linux. WTH? Why can't these people sit down and work on a common Linux platform?!
    Don't be surprised if Palm is a 'surprise' partner here. The pieces in place already make it already seem so.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    To be honest I am really disipointed. Not about the mobile OS... it sounds interesting. But a mobile OS is cool... not as cool as an android.

WHen I read the headline... I thought they actually meant an android. I got my hopes up... for a girl android especially
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If google is not going to brand the OS/environment, Palm has just as much chance to make money on the "gPhone variants" as HTC.

What really bother me is this... Nokia make the Maemo Linux platform; Motorola has its own Linux platform; now both google and Palm are going to roll their own version of Linux. WTH? Why can't these people sit down and work on a common Linux platform?!
    Both my love for and disgust with the Open Source community is that there are so many available options... I think that if everyone in the community focused on single projects in given category like, for instance, one Linux flavor, they'd blow Windows away but then it wouldn't be the Open Source community we know and love...

I think that Palm needs to back off of its Linux and jump on this one. I also think that Motorala is doing just that as it is one of the partners mentioned in all of this. Nokia? Who knows...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast