Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Read every word on the Palm response and do not add one thing to it.

<<Palm issued the following statement to us: "Palm has always been committed to open platforms for developers. And Palm has the added differentiation of being able to tightly integrate the software platform with our hardware design, which we believe gives us an advantage in delivering a great user experience.

Palm customers have benefited from the availability of Google services on Palm's platform, such as Google Maps for mobile on Palm OS. And we look forward to further collaboration with Google to offer great user experiences on Palm products.">>

Nothing in it says they could not be stealthily on board with Google, in fact the bit about wanting to continue to work with them is cryptic at best. Engadget may be reading into the statement what is not there. Unless Ed Colligan specifically says no, it isn't no. Even that can change, like Folio's Yes became Not Yet.

It would be stupid to say no (never say never) since this may have been unknown to Palm (Engadget assuming they knew aside- where is their proof of what Palm knew and when they knew it?) and Elvaton's people may have just heard about it and no decision may have been made this early.

Their answer is a non-answer, typical corporate-speak.
    Neither a confirmation of googlephonecollaberation, nor a denial.

Last edited by duanedude1; 11/06/2007 at 12:33 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    You really wonder what palm does with its time 5 days a week.

Do they sit around and bull**** or do they actually do work?! What is produced is never anything remarkable anymore and doesn't show signs of a labored effort to innovate. So what the hell do these people do all day long?

I'm just staggered by how woefully inefficient, slow and unmotivated this company is. Truly!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Both my love for and disgust with the Open Source community is that there are so many available options... I think that if everyone in the community focused on single projects in given category like, for instance, one Linux flavor, they'd blow Windows away but then it wouldn't be the Open Source community we know and love...
    Well, Linux and BSD's are caught in a little chicken-and-egg here. They won't really become viable in the marketplace until they get support from the hardware vendors. and they won't get support from the hardware vendors until they get the userbase. Something's gotta give. I'm not sure if "one distro" would fix that problem.

Regardless, having one distro would pretty much go against the goal and value of linux. The beauty of linux is the choice. I run both Gentoo and Ubuntu on computers I work with every day. The fact that I can use one distribution that focuses on a great desktop environment, and another that allows for complete and total control over it, is beautiful. No distribution is right or wrong, it's about picking the right tool for the right job. Gentoo can be a specialized distribution and have it's niche in the marketplace, not to mention the great service OpenBSD provides to the community. You lose that if you have one distribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Palm has to let go of their ego & greediness. The OS will not survive unless they assimialte somehow with Google. I cannot imagine the number of applications that will be developed from all the different developers & quickly too. By the time Palm releases their linux device, google phones will be way ahead with tons of applications already written. I mean just the fact that anyone could wrewrite the code to create their own interface is huge. I mean how many developers have dreamed of creating a new UI for the stinking palm os?? the UI is not much different in 5 years! Palm what's your next move?
    Again, the pieces are already in place for Palm to be involved here. It would not only make sense, but prove this comment as well:

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Read every word on the Palm response and do not add one thing to it.

<<Palm issued the following statement to us: "Palm has always been committed to open platforms for developers. And Palm has the added differentiation of being able to tightly integrate the software platform with our hardware design, which we believe gives us an advantage in delivering a great user experience.

Palm customers have benefited from the availability of Google services on Palm's platform, such as Google Maps for mobile on Palm OS. And we look forward to further collaboration with Google to offer great user experiences on Palm products.">>

Nothing in it says they could not be stealthily on board with Google, in fact the bit about wanting to continue to work with them is cryptic at best. Engadget may be reading into the statement what is not there. Unless Ed Colligan specifically says no, it isn't no. Even that can change, like Folio's Yes became Not Yet.

It would be stupid to say no (never say never) since this may have been unknown to Palm (Engadget assuming they knew aside- where is their proof of what Palm knew and when they knew it?) and Elvaton's people may have just heard about it and no decision may have been made this early.

Their answer is a non-answer, typical corporate-speak.
    Neither a confirmation of googlephonecollaberation, nor a denial.

Thanks, I didn't need to type a lot for that.

Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    You really wonder what palm does with its time 5 days a week.

Do they sit around and bull**** or do they actually do work?! What is produced is never anything remarkable anymore and doesn't show signs of a labored effort to innovate. So what the hell do these people do all day long?

I'm just staggered by how woefully inefficient, slow and unmotivated this company is. Truly!
    Do not confuse lack of getting a product with lack of movement. As a small example, it takes a good professor 3-6 hours to prepare for a 1hr lecture. For a smartphone/PDA platform, I am pretty sure that more time is needed.

Last near-prophetical comment: Palm and WR could be acquired by a company not currently in the mix here. Like I said, too many pieces are in place here for Palm, and WR seems to have the type of mobile Linux deal needed to push it into the major (non-China Mobile) mobile Linux distro.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner View Post
    Well, Linux and BSD's are caught in a little chicken-and-egg here. They won't really become viable in the marketplace until they get support from the hardware vendors. and they won't get support from the hardware vendors until they get the userbase. Something's gotta give. I'm not sure if "one distro" would fix that problem.

Regardless, having one distro would pretty much go against the goal and value of linux. The beauty of linux is the choice. I run both Gentoo and Ubuntu on computers I work with every day. The fact that I can use one distribution that focuses on a great desktop environment, and another that allows for complete and total control over it, is beautiful. No distribution is right or wrong, it's about picking the right tool for the right job. Gentoo can be a specialized distribution and have it's niche in the marketplace, not to mention the great service OpenBSD provides to the community. You lose that if you have one distribution.
    Agreed... But let's not hijack the thread... ;-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    I really think this is the end for Palm.
    Didn't you say that before? Are you sure this time??

PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    It could be that Palm are waiting to see if jumping on the Google-wagon makes sense, and want to keep open the option of rolling their own. That would at least make some sense of the slippage for POS/Linux.

Or it could be very dark here and that sound is me whistling
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    On a different note, anyone else feel nervous about trusting Google with access to yet more of our personal data?
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    On a different note, anyone else feel nervous about trusting Google with access to yet more of our personal data?
    I'm using my neighbor's personal info, so it's all good. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I'm using my neighbor's personal info, so it's all good. :-)
    That's just wrong... LMAO...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    So, those emails promising to make you bigger in a certain area are meant for your neighbor? As are the offers of money from Nigerians?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    if THIS is the new Gphone, I am SOLD!!!
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/06/h...-google-dream/
    First, Palm absolutely needs to get on board and release a Treo and Centro with the Google operating system. It shouldn't be that hard to do. This will not only help tide them over till the new POS arrives, but let them test the waters, to see if the GoogleOS is a viable product offering.

Second, I don't think Google is being completely forthright about their income model. I doubt the ad revenue model would ever work...especially not in a phone. But, even now, on the desktop, Google is working on other revenue streams. Google offers basic services like Gmail, and then charges for premium. As we move more and more into webbased applications, and a phone that is fully web capable, this income stream gets a bigger piece of the pie.

Lets look at a few examples....current and possible future.

1. Google Maps. Basic service will let you search for addresses and get routing. Premium will work with a GPS.

2. Gmail. Basic mail works to send a receive. Premium gets you more storage.

3. Googledocs. Basic lets you open and view. Premium lets you edit and collaborate.

4. Google calender and a whole host of PIM apps. Basic lets you work on your calendar. Premium lets you collaborate with an entire business...meeting notices...etc. Premium could have shared projects...be a web version of MS Project.

While Palm should be concerned, the company with the most to lose is Microsoft and other companies that are developing web applications. Open software and web apps are the future and Google is poised to lead the pack with their own OS.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I just saw this. Sorry if it was already posted.
    I was just looking for commentary on what people think of this.
    Inside the gPhone: What to expect from Google's Android alliance
    http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=202805720
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123