Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Buzz0 View Post
    To be honest I am really disipointed. Not about the mobile OS... it sounds interesting. But a mobile OS is cool... not as cool as an android.

WHen I read the headline... I thought they actually meant an android. I got my hopes up... for a girl android especially
    Awww...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Nothing like reaching into the recycle bin...

I believe this was the video from Palm Corporate Headquaters after Google's announcement....

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Nothing like reaching into the recycle bin...

I believe this was the video from Palm Corporate Headquaters after Google's announcement....

LMAO...

Really... If played correctly, this could be absolutely wonderful for Palm. I just don't have much confidence that it will, in fact, be played correctly...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Don't be surprised if Palm is a 'surprise' partner here. The pieces in place already make it already seem so.
    I hoping that's exactly what thye do.

This really is another major blow to Palms 'business plan'. The idea here may not be new, but it has the companies behind it to make it work. Palm changning course again and jumping into this deal may be the bext short term move

(i do wonder how they did not know about this before hand)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    LMAO...

Really... If played correctly, this could be absolutely wonderful for Palm. I just don't have much confidence that it will, in fact, be played correctly...
    Yep..they could play it right...but given the Fooleo debacle, it's unlikely. Foresight has not been one of their strong suits.

No new OS in over 10 years....no new UI since the first release.
    Minor hardware increases over the past several years.

Wish it wasn't that way...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Don't be surprised if Palm is a 'surprise' partner here. The pieces in place already make it already seem so.
    The same thought occurred to me. Palm is going to have a hard time getting to the party later than Google and then selling enough units to recoup their costs let alone make a profit. Remember that the market won't sit idly by while Palm takes forever to get to the market with their version of a Linux phone.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Sorry I'm so slow. I'm from Tennessee

But, I don't get it. Would this be an open source OS that could be installed on a Windows Mobile handheld (6800, Touch, etc.)?

If so, is it possible that it is free - but, they get to market to you through text SMS, and pop-up crap / ads?
    @#%!@#$ Ryan Block, writing the Editorial I meant to but haven't had time to write today

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/05/p...ndroid-or-die/

Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    @#%!@#$ Ryan Block, writing the Editorial I meant to but haven't had time to write today

You?? I should have written this damned editorial! LOL

It's obvious that everyone is thinking along the same lines, though...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

so we will have three choices. treo with palm os, treo with windows, treos with google os. right??
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I think "Antione of MMM" has it right. If you look they delayed a new flagship product until 2008 (probably late 2008.) The SDK for Android will be released next week? hmmmmm.

I bet Palm pulled the Folio after Wind River joined up with Google and convinced Palm to come along for the ride and scrap anything they had planned for their new OS and work with them on Android. This would give them enough time to get all the UI bugs worked out and make it look pretty plus work on backward compatibility for previous Palm OS applications.

It almost sounds to good to be true. I would be curious to find out what the Palm investors have their fingers in as well. Could it be that they also have worked with some of the other vendors that are working on Android?

Personally, i see Palm working on their UI and smartphone designs over then next 8 to 12 months to have one or more smartphones that are running the android OS shipping soon after android is officially released.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Frydog

Treo 300 ----> Treo 600 ----> Treo 650 ----> Treo 700p ----> whats next???

www.lostorder.com (Gaming)
    www.big-hump.com (Hashing)
    hardware semi revealed:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/05/g...semi-revealed/

sounds like a high end sidekick to me. VERY excited to see what Google brings to the table. I think they are going to turn things upsode down - something we have needed for a LONG time.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    *sigh*
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Palm has to let go of their ego & greediness. The OS will not survive unless they assimialte somehow with Google. I cannot imagine the number of applications that will be developed from all the different developers & quickly too. By the time Palm releases their linux device, google phones will be way ahead with tons of applications already written. I mean just the fact that anyone could wrewrite the code to create their own interface is huge. I mean how many developers have dreamed of creating a new UI for the stinking palm os?? the UI is not much different in 5 years! Palm what's your next move?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Palm is not in? What were they thinking to turn down the opportunity to be in? I mean, HTC is on! I'd dare say they are now the standard in smartphone creation and Palm is relegated now to pick the scraps other smartphone companies don't want. Well, at least the Centro-momentum lasted a few weeks.

Reading Palm's response is a re-assurance that either they have an Uber-powerful PalmOS II in development ... or more realistically that they are sticking to their guns in hopes we the faithful users don't go out to try that new OS on the block and that they were seriously not expecting a blow of this magnitude.

Lets give it a few days for the Palm camp to come up with good excuses on why the oft-delayed POSII should be THE smartphone OS of choice vs. what seems to be a sure thing in the form of Android.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    Palm has to let go of their ego & greediness. The OS will not survive unless they assimialte somehow with Google. I cannot imagine the number of applications that will be developed from all the different developers & quickly too. By the time Palm releases their linux device, google phones will be way ahead with tons of applications already written. I mean just the fact that anyone could wrewrite the code to create their own interface is huge. I mean how many developers have dreamed of creating a new UI for the stinking palm os?? the UI is not much different in 5 years! Palm what's your next move?
    I can't wait for that SDK to become available...
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

engadget article - good
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Had palm waited for Android to become available and use it as the foundation, we probably wouldn't see a new Palm OS-based device till 2010 at the earliest.

Making a smartphone is not as easy as making a PC. You can't just slap the OS on a piece of hardware and call it a smartphone. It will be very interesting to see what the first Android-based smartphones will look like. Let's not forget that it takes both the hardware and the software to make a great computing product.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Well @%$&@ him for killing off Engadget podcast anyway.

You got to give it to Ryan Block, he's a pretty big closet Palm fan. I talked to him once when he had to call Time Warner Cable to fix his moden, lol.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast