Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is an official Round Robin contest thread

Well, I've been away from my Treo 680 for a week now. It's been sitting nearby but I've obeyed the Round Robin rules and haven't played with it. I made sure to take the battery out on day 1 so that I wouldn't even be tempted.

I've thought about my fellow editors this week and have enjoyed keeping up with their thoughts on the devices that they've been using. Did the AT&T device tilt Kevin's world? Did Dieter enjoy going back to old school for a week, and did Mike hit a curve with the BlackBerry device? I look forward to reading their final thoughts today!

Read more at TreoCentral.
    I really would like to see the iPhone available on Sprint - when the SDK comes available, hopefully the Slingbox crew will get an app built and pushed out for it. I was really anti-iPhone, but it's starting to look like a good, all in one multimedia device. So, who's gonna convince Apple to put it on Sprint?
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Nice writeup Jen. Its clear that your expectations for a smartphone have been picked up a few notches. Same thing happened to me after a few months with the N95. While I am back on my 680, I do have a clear view of what my next will do, as I am sure you too.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Antoine! I'd like to fiddle with an N95 myself as I've been hearing a lot about that device lately.
    You know, you might benefit from selling your iPhone and picking up an iPod Touch. I heard that the iPhone can't really be used without a SIM, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is, maybe getting a Touch is your best bet. That way you have almost all of the features of the iPhone but without having to deal with the GSM radio, and you can definitely use both your iPod and your Treo together without feeling like you're missing out on something.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Thanks Antoine! I'd like to fiddle with an N95 myself as I've been hearing a lot about that device lately.
    Its sweet. And hopefully I'll get an N95-3 (the US 3g version) to play with soon. I do tell myself often though, if Nokia does an N95 with a touchscreen, they will have an iPhone beater (on a few fronts).

And this is what I get for speaking that N95-3 up, a nice solid review:
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...sion_N95-3.php

Now SME, make sure you add this into the next Round Robin

I think Gadgetluva nailed it. Sounds like you like the iPhone as an entertainment device like the iPod Touch, but for a real smartphone it's still the Treo. No doubt about it, the iPhone's pretty slick, but the limits are just too many to replace a workhorse smartphone in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    You know, you might benefit from selling your iPhone and picking up an iPod Touch. I heard that the iPhone can't really be used without a SIM, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but if it is, maybe getting a Touch is your best bet. That way you have almost all of the features of the iPhone but without having to deal with the GSM radio, and you can definitely use both your iPod and your Treo together without feeling like you're missing out on something.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I just wonder if, when the iPhone gets ToDos and Notes (and 3rd party, and cut and paste, and...), whether the Treo will continue to be your choice (given the quality of the phone and web browser you cite). I'm still on a Treo (650), but thinking of switching (to Centro or iPhone?)....and Sprint's not doing much to keep me on.
  10.    #10  
    gadgetluva I've actually thought about doing that. In fact, If I'd known that the Touch was coming out and would have the WiFi and Safari, I would waited and bought that instead of the iPhone. I'm still thinking abou it. At least I do have the Treo 750 with the 3G which is plenty fast.
  11.    #11  
    I just wonder if, when the iPhone gets ToDos and Notes (and 3rd party, and cut and paste, and...), whether the Treo will continue to be your choice (given the quality of the phone and web browser you cite). I'm still on a Treo (650), but thinking of switching (to Centro or iPhone?)....and Sprint's not doing much to keep me on.
    Yeah, I wonder that too Quinnovate. We shall see. ;-)
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for linking to the N95-3 review Antoine. I enjoyed reading it!
    Nice job on the article, I was glad to see an iPhone review that was coming from someone with NO experience with the device, this is what I would consider an unbiased review, as it seems all other reviews nowadays come from..dare I say it..Apple fanboys, who would say it was great even if it had a black and white screen. so once again many thanks for that review..now I have never been a iPhone lover nor will I ever be (possibly when Gen2 arrives) but for now the device just bores me, it looks nice thats about it for me, honestly I think the hype killed it for me, mainly because it didn't own up to it's hype in my eyes, I expected more.
    Read you review on iPhone and what struck me is that your comment about keyboard. I used to use Treo 300/650/700 and now have moved to iPhone. My impression of virtual keyboard is that one you get used to it, there is no difference. In fact, auto correct and complete feature on iPhone really speed things up. The first week was bit awkward and needed getting used to - which is your trail period. Once you go past the week, it becomes really easy.

Also what you did not cover was running apps via Safari. There are lots of games and apps that can be run using web2.0. I have found that it is not as bad as I initially imagined. Clearly not the same as having SDK and native programs but most of them are quite good (games, productivity, IM).

I cannot imagine going back to Treo. It just feels like an antique or going back 7~8 years...
    You mentioned using the iphone as your main music device. The Centro and Treos do have PT deluxe. Internet radio is pretty good to be honest. Much better than i thought it would be. Not too shabby at songs either. I will say the iphone is louder..but not by much.

Kinoma Producer allows ease of use in converting most videos to your SD or microSD card. Again, video on the iphone is better given the screen, but it's quite watchable on the Centro. Kinoma also has its media guide.

Then there's that slingbox option for those that need that.

IMO, the iphone's main strength is that screen & browser. Videos do look better. And programs that convert dvds & video allow ease of transferring.

If you put the iphone on 3G, make the battery replaceable, and depending on what 3rd party apps are developed, it has the potential to blow the competition away. Given the limitations currently, that's just not a reality yet.

Oh, one more thing..not one reset on the iphone i've had. Not one. Even the Centro has given me 2-3. All occurred using opera mini occasionally and once on kinoma.
    cool article -thank you
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    After reading your article I can see why so many iphone owners used to own treos, sounds like you're on the fence now. It was a great read, thanks.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    There's only a few things that keep me from switching to the iphone (from 680):

1. price. Even reduced, that's a lot a dough w/ 2 year commitment!
    2. calendar ap. I live by my calendar and todo lists. Even though I only use the built in aps I rely on categories and being able to share with my wife. Still no can do on the iphone.
    3. 3rd party apps. When february comes I'll be curious to see how long before I can get Bible and MS Access abilities. No option to do without these for work.

We'll see, maybe time will tell... (or the iphone 2.0!)
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I am intrigued by the iPhone and appreciate your article, as my perspective seems similar to yours.
    One question I have after many hours typing/dialing/texting/playing while holding the Treo one handed. How well can you do this with the iPhone?
    It's a sad multi-tasking question, not between aps, but between life chores.
    Thanks in advance for the insight!
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    If the iphone gets a full suite of applications, it'll be a great device sadly limited by Apple's choice of carrier and lack of 3g speeds. those r issues will keep me from buying one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast