Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    DEFINITELY an Official Round Robin Thread

OK Guys and Gals, the UPS man just dropped off my Treo 680 five minutes ago and I'm already in trouble. I stuck in my SIM card, turned on the phone, and it says PHONE OFF in the top left corner and I can't figure out how to turn the wireless connection on. I googled it, found the Palm Treo quick start guide, and all it says is that it should come on automatically, and that if it's off it'll say Phone Off. It never said how to turn it on if it's turned off.

It's an unlocked Treo 680..I'm on Rogers in Canada if that helps.

1st step phone... next step email... THANK YOU for the Help.
    I'll let somebody else field this one.
  3.    #3  
    Ohhh..got if figured out. Hold down the Red Key. And how was i supposed to know that?!?

Ahh oh.. Next Problem:

SIM Card Not Allowed.

Your phone cannot be used with this SIM card
    Kevin Michaluk
    Community Editor, CrackBerry.com
    so... phone is charged up ready to go.

1. Is the SIM card in the right way? (shiny side DOWN, notch at top left)
    2. SIM card tray slides in easily (SIM card is seated well in tray and tray pushed back up under the rear speaker)
    3. After the battery is replaced, the treo should show the 'PALM' logo, the 'Palm OS' screen, and then make a tone and show 'Treo' with a little phone underneath. Then Preferences comes up with the Automatically Set screen for time and date.. just press done.

Press the phone hard key (on the far left, under the green hard key)

If, at the top left of the screen it still says 'Phone OFF', try pressing the RED hard key below the bottom right of the screen for a few seconds, until a tone sounds. This should try to start up the phone and you should see 'Network Search' at the top of the screen.
    Your Treo is locked to another carrier. You either need a treo which is used on the same network as your SIM card, or you need the carrier to walk you through unlocking the phone.

What is the network of the treo (is there a AT&T or Verizon logo on it?)

What is the network of the SIM card?
    Isn't holding down the power key how you turn on any cellphone in any brand? How do you turn on a Blackberry radio?
    That doesn't sound good. Plan problems? I know they tell you that data won't work correctly w/o a PDA plan or something on ATT. Other users in the community have worked around that and gotten data with media max and the likes here in us. Maybe different on Rogers...

I am looking forward to hearing about your experience as I am contemplating using the wife's discarded pearl. The small form factor just keeps calling my name.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Isn't holding down the power key how you turn on any cellphone in any brand? How do you turn on a Blackberry radio?
    There is an icon on the pearl that allows you to power on the cellular radio.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Sounds to me like your phone is locked to your carrier. If the carrier won't unlock it, you can try www.treounlock.net to unlock it.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    The Palm OS is so old it can't recognize your newer sim. You're going to need a sim from your provider dating back to the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The Palm OS is so old it can't recognize your newer sim. You're going to need a sim from your provider dating back to the late 90's.

Almost didn't catch the smiley at the bottom there... ;-)

I am running a 64K 3G Cingular SIM in my 680, so you don't need an old SIM. An older SIM might actually work less well.

Interestingly, my unlocked treos (180, 270, 600, 650) all had no trouble working with Pay-as-you-go SIMs purchased abroad (Ireland and Germany) as long as the Treo itself was unlocked.
    sounds like a job for the evel orange and blue...call them punks and have them unlock it for ya...
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Actually, sounds like a SIM-unlock issue, not a provider one (as I don't remember reading that this was a branded 680).

I don't remember the SIM-unlock for Treos though - I've been on an unlocked one for a long time.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean turning on the Device..that's always hold down the power key. The device was already powered up, but it was saying Phone Off. I was trying to figure out how to turn on the Radio. To me, holding down the Power Button again (once the phone is already turned on) should turn the phone Off!

On the BlackBerry once the phone is on, you can choose to turn the actual radio connection on or off using the Wireless Settings menu. Hence my confusion.

As it turns out.... it LOOKs like the Treo i'm using wasn't unlocked. I ordered a new unlock code and we'll see how that goes. Hopefully well.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Community Editor, CrackBerry.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean turning on the Device..that's always hold down the power key. The device was already powered up, but it was saying Phone Off. I was trying to figure out how to turn on the Radio. To me, holding down the Power Button again (once the phone is already turned on) should turn the phone Off!

On the BlackBerry once the phone is on, you can choose to turn the actual radio connection on or off using the Wireless Settings menu. Hence my confusion.

As it turns out.... it LOOKs like the Treo i'm using wasn't unlocked. I ordered a new unlock code and we'll see how that goes. Hopefully well.
    Does it come up with a generic palm splash screen? (Look for any branding in the applications too.)

Which SIM are you using?

Ah, yes that would be the first thing to learn, Palm OS Treo's are never really "off" unless you pull the battery out. The screen will turn off if you briefly hit red button, but push and hold the red button and all you'll do is either turn on the radio or turn off the radio. It will never turn "off" the actual treo, it will always quickly turn on the screen when you hit a button to launch and application, phone, or go to the home screen.
    Setting Up BlackBerry Connect On Treo 680

Posted cause I know Kevin will need it lol, sorry it wasn't a direct post Kev, but it contains to many pics to post in the forums.
  18.    #18  
    OK...i have my unlock code for this Treo 680. Now how do I ENTER it into the phone?????
    OK...i have my unlock code for this Treo 680. Now how do I ENTER it into the phone?????
    With the 'bad card in, enter

*#*#<CODE># on the phone dial pad and press the green dial key

(where <CODE> is replaced by the 8? digit unlock code)

The phone should tell you that the unlock has occurred.

If it doesn't work, DON'T just try it over and over again. You have 5 tries before you lock up the phone fairly hard and need 'professional' help to get it unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post

nice ...
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast