Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlarsen23 View Post
    If your email can use IMAP (like Gmail now can), and you are going to compare the Treo to the blackberry, you have to get Chattermail. Versamail is mediocre. Used with IMAP, Chattermail is actually better than the blackberry's email in most ways since it is a full featured IMAP client.
    My guess is third party aps are not going to get much attention in the short time Blackberry Guy has to review- much like missing the speed of EVDO that newer Palm's offer. It's a shame because EVDO alone makes networking tasks like email and DUN so much more seamless.
    The 755p or Centro might have been better choices, but as was mentioned elsewhere, the Round Robin team kept to the slower networks that are more compatible with the majority of devices being traded around.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  2.    #42  
    Hey Guys,

OK...so I've been using the Treo 680 for a few days now...getting closer to my final review. Just wanted to see if there's any other 3rd party apps I should try out before moving onto the iphone.

I've got ChatterEmail on there...so my Gmail is running via imap.

I put on AudioGate, so I can stream music to my Motorola S9s...

I put TCPMP on for movie viewing...

Any good free games i can download? How bout ways to customize the theme/shortcuts?

Thanks

Kevin
    Kevin Michaluk
    Community Editor, CrackBerry.com
    You can run free trials of everything Astraware offers, they make great games.
    Try colorize for the theme customization. It allows you to customize almost everything separately. I used it for a while and then started to have resets so I deleted. It works pretty good though. Not really sure if colorize caused them, but the resets have been fewer and farther between. Have you experienced the signature 680 lock up and reset?
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Astraware is a good place to start- Zuma is kind of addicting, and not sure if Bejeweled or DlxSudoku are bundled already. Others might have better ideas for games. Here is one of many freeware sites with games and productivity ware.

If you want to use A2DP, try Softick. They also have an awesome cache program.

Try PdaNet to get online with your notebook- highly recommended; even more so with evdo.

Lots like ZLauncher, I went away from it and use Butler for it's key caps Keylauncher, and the free fileprog for managing internal and sd files.

For programs not used with key launcher, I just use the default Palm Launcher. A (perhaps) little known tip is to delete all categories on Palm's default launcher. It will then keep everything in the 'All' screen. Simply type the name of what you want, ala Vista, and the cursor goes to it. Much quicker than hunting categories...but you might want to select list view. Who knew Microsoft copied one of the redeeming Vista qualities from the venerable Palm OS?

Here is a must read for purely free applications. It is also where fileprog is linked from.

Best of luck in your review!
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Get Audible if you want to listen to downloadable audio books from audible.com.
    Just for fun I would recommend trying Arcade Reality:

http://www.toyspring.com/arcade/

You can play the first level of it for free. It's just kinda cool, but be warned you may get funny looks from those around you as you play.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Get Audible if you want to listen to downloadable audio books from audible.com.
    Good suggestion mlarsen23...I love Audible. Should mention that Audible-Air downloads from cloud to Palm make this once 'only in a dream' program a reality.

It is included in a recent post of stable 755p programs I use. I was stuck in an airline terminal writing it so even mapped where I put programs on the key launcher. Perhaps I should've had the d-caf that day.
    Last edited by roams11; 11/14/2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: got username wrong- sorry
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    With just a short time left you won't be able to really explore ZLauncher, but it's incredible. Pretty much anything you can visualize can be done. Any background, icon, layout - it can all be done with ZLauncher. You can make it look like XP. Vista. A Mac. Probably even can make it look exactly like your trusty Blackberry It's a deal breaker app for me, as in no ZLauncher=No Palm OS.

A few others to try in the short term: Today, Ultimate Phone, Snap, xWeather, Phone Technician.

There are tons - that's what make Palm worth sticking with....
  10.    #50  
    Yikes Guys..soo many things to play with. Dieter/Septimus is gonna get mad cause I need to get my final Treo impressions up, but there's just soo many apps to try out that I don't want to give it up the phone just yet and move onto the iPhone.

ONE more question.. RE: Email. I'm using ChatterEmail, with imap to my Gmail... and some of the messages arriving to the phone are coming through all jarbled.

If I go to the message in Gmail on the computer, it's fine..but on the Treo in ChatterEmail it's messed up... like: UXxiXYLJDSFnnklandflkadsfLLKNSLDNKFDKLNDSF Bpbpbpdalkdjnf lakjd;fljSKDLKJF KvlkdajQLEWRjbkljXLKJXXXPoefejieaijslkdgj adSDFALKJEIObn
    UXxiXYLJDSFnnklandflkadsfLLKNSLDNKFDKLNDSF Bpbpbpdalkdjnf lakjd;fljSKDLKJF KvlkdajQLEWRjbkljXLKJXXXPoefejieaijslkdgj adSDFALKJEIObnUXxiXYLJDSFnnklandflkadsfLLKNSLDNKFDKLNDSF Bpbpbpdalkdjnf lakjd;fljSKDLKJF KvlkdajQLEWRjbkljXLKJXXXPoefejieaijslkdgj adSDFALKJEIObn

any ideas?

Thanks!
    Kevin Michaluk
  11.    #51  
    Another thing I'd like some insight on...is what do you find to be the most effective way to hold/use the Treo 680??

do you find you use the stylus a lot? the touchscreen with your fingers a lot? or ignore the touchscreen and do everything off of shortcuts and the multi nav controls?

Initially I was mainly using the 680 as a one handed phone held in my right hand...and it was working for me, but seemed a bit annoying to use. eventually i switched to holding the phone in my right hand, and the working the screen/keyboard/nav button with my right hand and found I could get around and do what I wanted faster (always typing msgs with two thumbs on the keyboard though)... I try to avoide the stylus, but am still finding i have to use it sometimes to access certain things...but I'm guessing that if you really know the phone inside and out you can probably avoid it for the most part.

sooo yeah..insight/suggestions/tips with general "use" still would be appreciated. but it's interesting for me to look at the general evolution I have gone through as i get more acquainted with the phone.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    There have been some issues with Chattermail. I dont use it so nothing to offer in way of suggestions. I've been using SnapperMail and find the imap works well with it. I actually think the bundled versamail has come a long way also- perhaps that would be worth a try in the short time you have.
    I like that you are taking the time and evolving your approach with the Treo. As far as how to hold it, similar to you it depends on the program but usually I navigate with the buttons and type with thumbs- or with one thumb if multi-tasking. Stylus seems to be less necessary with the 5 way navigator, but it's all technique and tribal knowledge.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    That's not true. The issues that you're having are with the Gmail IMAP implementation.
    I find that I seldomly use the stylus anymore. I hold mine in my left hand mainly and use the 5-way with my thumb. For the touch screen, I normally just use my thumb also. There are times that the stylus is needed--solitaire mainly.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    kevin

I use a work-around to get my gmail since chatter can be a battery drain, however, when I tried google's IMAP with chatter, the same happenned to me as well, I can't telll you why that is, but interestingly enough, I tried my aol account, and not garble...might be gmail.

I also tend to not use the stylus, the 5-way nav is plenty enough and moving through screens and links is a breeze...I do envy you BB users with your nifty rocker on the device's spine, do the new crackberry's have the rocker? or just the trackball?
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Try TreoSideKey. It converts the Treo's volume up/down buttons and side button to a scroller and selecter respectively.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    If you check out this thread, you can see that the problem seems to be caused by the way gmail implemented IMAP. It looks like the developer of Chattermail is working on a fix that will be delivered shortly.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=154882&page=6
    Last edited by mlarsen23; 11/16/2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: I was wrong on some info!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    If you check out this thread, you can see that the problem seems to be caused by the way gmail implemented IMAP. It looks like the developer of Chattermail is working on a fix that will be delivered shortly.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=154882&page=6
    This will hopefully offer a solution for Chattermail's gmail implementation issue.

I was lucky I guess with Snappermail. It configured cleanly the first time with gmail imap. I find it works smoothly, allows you to ghost deleted emails, sync folders, and all the stuff you want for mobile imap.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    This will hopefully offer a solution for Chattermail's gmail implementation issue.

I was lucky I guess with Snappermail. It configured cleanly the first time with gmail imap. I find it works smoothly, allows you to ghost deleted emails, sync folders, and all the stuff you want for mobile imap.
    But it doesn't give push email, which means it won't work for a lot of people.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But it doesn't give push email, which means it won't work for a lot of people.
    Ahh- that explains where the issue is. thanks.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast