Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    If you haven't already, you really need to go read this: Smartphone Round Robin: Goodbye BlackBerry, Hello Windows Mobile and the ATT Tilt | CrackBerry.com.

    Anyway, it's a die-hard BlackBerry's guy's take on the Windows Mobile AT&T Tilt (Video First Look of the Tilt here). We chose the Tilt for the [Smartphone Round Robin](http://smartphoneexperts.com/roundrobin/) for a couple reasons - the main one being that I've said here many-a-time that it is a very good contender for the “best damn Windows Mobile smartphone ever.” That said, I was a little nervous using a “slider” in this Round Robin, as it's the only entrant that isn't a very good two-handed device. Well Kevin definitely picked up on that as well as picking up on a whole bunch of other issues with the Tilt.

    We'll post some of our own reactions here after the break. More importantly, **you** should post your reactions in the comments here for a chance to Win in the Round Robin.

    Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/featured/sm...n_crackbe.html

    He's also annoyed by the battery life. Well, them's the breaks with a device as loaded with radios as this one. Maybe we should have sent him something with better battery life -- any suggestions for next year?

    Anyhow, those are a few brief thoughts. What do you folks think? Tilt getting a fair shake so far from our BlackBerry fanatic?
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 11/01/2007 at 02:45 PM.
  2. #2  
    official round robin contest thread
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by WMExperts Articles View Post
    Link returns:

    Not Found

    The requested URL /contest-rules.html" target="_blank was not found on this server.

    Apache/2.2.3 (Fedora) Server at roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com Port 80

    Seems like it might be quite hard to win this competition
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Link returns:

    Not Found

    The requested URL /contest-rules.html" target="_blank was not found on this server.

    Apache/2.2.3 (Fedora) Server at roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com Port 80

    Seems like it might be quite hard to win this competition
    Nah, I think the post you made is good...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  5. #5  
    I consider the BBs to be very straightforward but narrowly focused devices. Very stable, quick operation, but in the end, they're limited in what they can do.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Link returns:

    Not Found

    The requested URL /contest-rules.html" target="_blank was not found on this server.

    Apache/2.2.3 (Fedora) Server at roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com Port 80

    Seems like it might be quite hard to win this competition
    fixed.
  7. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #7  
    Yeah, WM Pro can be a bit complicated, which it looks like our BB user has picked up on. WM Standard might have been a better choice-- you gotta walk before you can fly .
  8. #8  
    I actually find pro to be a bit easier to get than standard - it's like what I said with the 680 - for new users you can just tap what you're looking for rather than scrolling around the screen trying to find what you're looking for.

    ...or it could just be that I learned Pro before I ever used a standard device.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I consider the BBs to be very straightforward but narrowly focused devices. Very stable, quick operation, but in the end, they're limited in what they can do.
    They may be limited in what they do, but what they do is everything that a bb owner is looking for, nothing more, nothing less, take a look at the Tilt, for me I would liken the Tilt to say a new computer from say HP, full of bloatware and stuff you will probably NEVER use...My BB has everything that I want, and is extendable and if something is on there that I really don't want, just remove it, the tilt in this case requires much more, possibly downloading some ROM from some guy, who sat up all night HEX editing CAB files to make it work the way he wanted and then released it, now personally I would'nt mind that cause I love to tinker around with my toys, but the average user will not do that, and really you shouldn't have to..just to get the device to work the way you want...plus run the risk of voiding warrentys and such for loading a ROM not sanctioned by your carrier, with BB devices installs are easier, use the apploader, or just simply point your browser to the OTA download and your done, don't like the installed app, no problem, just access the application list press menu key and choose delete, voila gone..and since the BB will only run on sanctioned OS's no worries about warrenty voids.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11/02/2007 at 04:02 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    They may be limited in what they do, but what they do is everything that a bb owner is looking for, nothing more, nothing less, take a look at the Tilt, for me I would liken the Tilt to say a new computer from say HP, full of bloatware and stuff you will probably NEVER use...My BB has everything that I want, and is extendable and if something is on there that I really don't want, just remove it, the tilt in this case requires much more, possibly downloading some ROM from some guy, who sat up all night HEX editing CAB files to make it work the way he wanted and then released it, now personally I would'nt mind that cause I love to tinker around with my toys, but the average user will not do that, and really you shouldn't have to..just to get the device to work the way you want...plus run the risk of voiding warrentys and such for loading a ROM not sanctioned by your carrier, with BB devices installs are easier, use the apploader, or just simply point your browser to the OTA download and your done, don't like the installed app, no problem, just access the application list press menu key and choose delete, voila gone..and since the BB will only run on sanctioned OS's no worries about warrenty voids.
    I think what you're basically saying is plainly obvious - everybody has their needs and since there are a variety of smartphone form factors and OSes right now, everyone is capable of finding the right device for them. I personally feel that the Blackberry OS is just limited for MY needs. No 3G on GSM devices, lacking multimedia support, no slingplayer (not that it matters due to my first point, but I do know they're working on a BB client), no feature that is nearly as customizable, flexible, and powerful as the Today screen on WM Pro devices (the Today screen is probably one of the main reasons why I love Windows Mobile so much), not as customizable overall, etc. I do think they're great devices, but they're not the be all end all. Blackberrys have their strengths (email and stability) but that's where the advantages remain.
  11. #11  
    Yah, I think the only phone you might be happy with in the long run besides the BB is the iPhone ... POS and WM phones seem to just have "enough" but with the required love of a tweaker, turn into dream phones.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

    Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

  12. #12  
    I wonder if you'd find a different hardware form-factor would leave you with a different impression. For example, the TMobile Shadow is designed for 1-handed operation, and features a shure-type keyboard similar to the Pearl.
  13. #13  
    Hehehhee. I love the impressions in this one. Mainly because I've been saying the same thing for years myself about WM. Nice writeup.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.

Posting Permissions