1.    #1  
    This is an Official Smartphone Round Robin Post

Good Day EH!

I guess my username and greetings say it all. The full name is Kevin Michaluk and I'm a hardcore BlackBerry user and the Community Manager of CrackBerry.com (and am from the homeland of Research in Motion - Canada).

And after 3.5 days of no BlackBerry use thanks to the Smartphone Round Robin I'll agree with Dieter and say that of the bunch I'm going through withdrawal the most.

Week # 1 puts into my hands the Windows Mobile powered AT&T Tilt. I posted my initial impressions of the Tilt up at CrackBerry.com today, so take a quick trip over there and let me know what you think!

I still have 48 hours to get to know the Tilt and Windows Mobile better, so I'm looking for your help and advice to help me get up to speed quick. In my blog post I outline my initial likes/dislikes and listed some of the things I simply don't get quite just yet.

I'll let this one end here...I look forward to the responses to my Initial Impressions post, and will be in these forums lots in the next 3 weeks.

All the best!

Kevin
    Only 48hrs left eh?..lol

/me pins Kevin, then remembers Oh ya, BB connect has no way to send PIN messages
    Guess that's why they call it a Crackberry :-p

You guys seem to have a fantastic site over there on crackberry.com, if I win this contest I'll be getting myself a Curve 8310 and soaking up some berry knowledge over there.
    Excellent article on the Tilt, Kevin. I'll definitely be putting up a reply post at WMExperts a little later today!

Gadgetluva - SAY IT AIN'T SO!
  5.    #5  
    Ok.. I'm gonna spend the afternoon and evening tweaking this Tilt out. I've been giving quite a few suggestions now, and read through Dieter's how to tweak out the Tilt article.

Let's see how it goes!
    Good luck! WinMob is actually pretty tweakable from my experience.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Excellent article on the Tilt, Kevin. I'll definitely be putting up a reply post at WMExperts a little later today!

Gadgetluva - SAY IT AIN'T SO!
    haha, how else will I be able to confidently *bash* other OSes if I don't get firsthand knowledge? Plus my firm only supports BB, and sooner or later I'll probably be forced to get one for myself. However, I can see it being a data only device and me continuing to happily use WM....I'm personally looking forward to WM7 with the significant changes it's supposed to bring.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    Ok.. I'm gonna spend the afternoon and evening tweaking this Tilt out. I've been giving quite a few suggestions now, and read through Dieter's how to tweak out the Tilt article.

Let's see how it goes!
    That's the thing - in my experience with Smartphones, it seems that Windows Mobile devices are the most *tweakable* and customizable. Probably adds to the reason why they are the most complex mobile OS as well...
    The other thing I think Crackberry Kevin should know-- Every manufacturer has their own spin on the Windows Mobile Experience.

For example, your HTC tilt and my Palm 700WX have very different ways to start a phone call (I can type straight from the today screen and it will look up contacts, or type in a phone number depending on if it's in the address book or not; The Tilt requires you to be in the phone app first (by pressing the green phone key)

Just like the PC world, Windows Mobile OEMs will customise the OS to make it easier on their users to navigate the complicated os.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Actually, if your keyboard is open, it doesn't. Just like on the Wx you can just start typing on the today screen.

I think the main difference is the always exposed keyboard.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually, if your keyboard is open, it doesn't. Just like on the Wx you can just start typing on the today screen.

I think the main difference is the always exposed keyboard.

Surur
    but devices like the iPaq 910 should allow dialing by pressing the keyboard on the Today screen, but I do think it automatically switches to the phone app.
    I have used phones from all the platforms being tested in the Round Robin. I like WM's ability to customize and "tweak" but I think thats is what you spend most of your time doing to and with the device. I have spent so much time searching for apps, ROMS and list of hacks and reg edits that by the time I'm done, I don't even want to use it anymore.

The best thing about the Blackberry, to me, is that it just works. Not too much you need to do to it. Oh and you gotta love the PIN messaging too . My $0.02
  13.    #13  
    Well, I had to end my user experience with the Tilt today...I've shipped it on to Mike at PhoneDifferent.com who'll be giving it the next go.

I'll put my "final thoughts" up at CrackBerry.com tomorrow or on the weekend, but all in all I have definitely gained some respect for the Windows Mobile OS.

I think the Tilt form factor definitely isn't for me...I think I'm an exposed keyboard kind of guy for sure and would find the experience better on a WM phone that features that. I think that would solve half of my gripes.

After that....I think the WM OS is definitely powerful... 5 days wasn't enough time to unlock all the power that it has, that's for sure! I think if I spent more time with, I could overcome my usability issues and be productive with it.

But before I would ever consider that, I think there's still two major hurdles that would prevent me from giving it the two thumbs up.... It's Slow and the Battery Life sucks. So either they need to improve the efficiency of the OS somehow (and all the gadgetry inside) or the need to cram a faster processor in there and a bigger battery....or invent a Nuclear battery or something.

I do think Battery technology is the big hurdle to overcome...whoever can invent a battery that can power a mobile phone for a month will have more money than good ole Bill Gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23 View Post
    I have used phones from all the platforms being tested in the Round Robin. I like WM's ability to customize and "tweak" but I think thats is what you spend most of your time doing to and with the device. I have spent so much time searching for apps, ROMS and list of hacks and reg edits that by the time I'm done, I don't even want to use it anymore.

The best thing about the Blackberry, to me, is that it just works. Not too much you need to do to it. Oh and you gotta love the PIN messaging too . My $0.02
    Funny - i say that to my friends all the time - it just works. They like my Treo, but they're not really technically inclined. So i tell them -"Get the blackberry - it just works"
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackBerry Kevin View Post
    I think the Tilt form factor definitely isn't for me...I think I'm an exposed keyboard kind of guy for sure and would find the experience better on a WM phone that features that. I think that would solve half of my gripes.
    Next time we're giving you something with an exposed keyboard. Probably a Treo.

But before I would ever consider that, I think there's still two major hurdles that would prevent me from giving it the two thumbs up.... It's Slow and the Battery Life sucks.
    The battery life on the Tilt is generally worse than other WM devices I've used, but you're right that in general WM devices have worse battery life than BBs. As for slow, well, yeah.. point.
    The Tilt is a 3G device, whereas I believe there are no GSM RIMM 3G devices at all. The T-Mobile Dash, which is a popular GSM WM smartphone with similar hardware to the Pearl for example, has a reputation of very good battery life actually.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Next time we're giving you something with an exposed keyboard. Probably a Treo.
    I would have given him a Treo 750...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    I'm thinking that maybe Kevin would have been better suited to be using say a T-Mobile dash, I had the oppurtunity to have one of those for a few hours and while I dislike the AT&T Tilt, the Dash was...workable for me, if I had to choose a WM6 device, over the tilt and dash....I would be going with the Dash.