Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When we decided to try this Smartphone Round Robin a couple of weeks ago, I immediately girded my loins (pictured above - just how uncomfortable “girded loins” actually are) in preparation for a full three weeks without a Windows Mobile device as my main brain. I knew it would be tough, but so far I've been managing alright.

The main reason, I suppose, is that my first week in the Smartphone Round Robin brings me the Treo 680 - in other words, I'm a Windows Mobile convert “old schooling it” with the PalmOS. The Treo 680 has been my *sole* device for about 5 days now - so how am I holding up with this blast from my past? Read on to find out.

(Don't forget - a comment on this post counts as an entry in the Smartphone Round Robin Contest!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...obile_guy.html
    Last edited by Overthrow; 10/30/2007 at 04:38 PM.
    This is an official Round Robin Thread

Maybe I should have led with the gripes and finished with the good stuff?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I just recently switched from a Moto Q to a Mogul. I am having fun tweaking the Mogul, but I kinda miss the simplicity of WM standard (things just worked, for the most part). I've flashed my Phone with Several Custom ROMs and none of them really suit me.

I'm anxious to play with all of the new WM Standard and WM Pro phones that are coming out soon. I'm still hopeful that the Treo 800w will be all that it promises to be, but I'm not holding my breath.
    My #1 problem with POS is the multi-tasking thing also - I'd like to be able to change screens after sending a freakin txt msg ... or lock the damn device to put back in my pocket.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

For almost a year now, I've been using a Treo 680 as my primary phone/pda. I originally wanted to use it for portable media as well, but eventually gave up and got an iPod nano, now an iTouch, and would never consider going back.

For UI, I've got almost all G5X apps to help Palm OS at least look modern.

Given that I'm in Canada and the data rates verge on obscene, missing Wi-Fi is still a *huge* deal and no one has ever explained fully explained how Palm OS can do Cell+BT but not Cell+Wi-Fi, or how older Treos could use Wi-Fi cards or Sleds, but not integrated Wi-Fi (and blaming the carriers no longer holds water, as almost every other smart phone OS has Wi-Fi).

Overall, I prefer the iPod Touch keyboard (and I assume the iPhone -- we don't have it in Canada) and use it much faster than the hard, rounded, slippery Treo keyboard (which was also unusable when I had a sprained wrist due to the amount of pressure it required -- compared to none on the iPod Touch).

Those gripes, and the daily crashes/freezes when making/receiving calls makes me -- someone who's had Palm/Handspring PDAs and now Treo's since pretty much the beginning) unlikely to stay with them going forward -- never mind 18 months for a new Linux OS that should have come out over a year ago.
    Honestly, Palm multi-tasking isn't as horrible as people make it sound. Its not good, but its not horrible. Sure, the browser and downloads can't work in the background, but I can be listening to music, while connected to aim, yahoo, msn, irc, while my email is constantly connected waiting for mail to be pushed, while having a ton of user interface hacks running in the background (FieldPlus, Shortcut5, skinUI, FontSmoother), while at the same time running any one other program at the same time.

Speaking of those user interface hacks, to try and make Palm look more modern, go with skinUI or Palm Revolt in addition to FontSmoother. FontSmoother lets you use custom fonts and adds anti-aliasing to them, skinUI and PalmRevolt change the look of the OS entirely.
    I will say that I agree with pretty much everything you said. I started my long PDA history with the Palm OS - the Handspring Visor and from then I was hooked. I craved more - color screens, multimedia, so I switched to a Casio EM-500. Then to an iPaq 3800. Then I switched back to the Palm OS when Sony came around and really made some big changes - namely the high resolution screens and a focus on MP3s. I got tired of the underlying OS (although Sony's enhancements WERE awesome) and got a Dell Axim for about 2 weeks then switched up for an iPaq 2215. From there I switched to the iPaq 4355 - QWERTYBAR PPC! That was my last non-converged device, as I bought an SMT-5600 and wanted more. Treo 650 was my last fling with the Palm OS, and from there I've had most of AT&T's PPCphones. Phew. Now I know that the current Palm OS is NOT for me, but I have high hopes for the Linux version...which I can see myself playing with in 2 yrs when it's *finally* out. Until then, I'm keen to read your thoughts on blackberry devices.
    Palm needs WIFI. That is WinMo's only advantage.
    ...and 3G for GSM folks...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    While the inclusion of a Treo 680 into the round robin is understandable, I'm not really sure as to how it can really shape up, the reason I mention this is due the fact the Palm OS, at this point anyways, is no longer used, they have swayed from their beloved OS and sucked it up for the inclusion of WinMobile, while the Palm OS is still being developed (so they say lol, delays aplenty mind you)...does anybody else feel kind of weird about including the Treo 680 into the mix, because really, we don't have the next incarnation of the Palm OS (no definitive expected date either) or am I really alone on this one?...the Blackberry has 4.2 out now...with the Pearl 2 being released on November with the new 4.3 OS, updated browser, video capture etc...and WinMobile 6 while not totally BRAND new, it's still fresh.
    Agree 100% about the Wifi. I still don't understand how a fat little Treo doesn't have the room or the battery size to be able to handle Wifi. In areas without 3G support it's like pulling teeth trying to do anything productive on EDGE.
    Bla1er, look at it this way...
    When you buy a TV, you expect to use it for the next ten years and not update the "OS". Same thing goes for most consumer electronic and cars. Updating software frequently is a concept MS spend YEARS beaten into your skull.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that I don't need an update for my winxp. Take a look at bloggers like Dvorak, they have been saying there is no point to upgrade to Vista for months, and I agree with them. There is nothing you can do on the Vista that you can't do with XP plus the upcoming sp3, at significant less system resource.

XP stop being supported doesn't mean its not the best option for many hardware for the next 5 years. You can make an argument for the (abandoned) PalmOS. It's one of the best option for some people for the next couple years. Until all the weird third party app get ported to other OS, some people still rather use it. Just like some print shops are still using MacOS9 for QuartExpress.
    I'm watching all of these reviews with real interest here. I've been back and forth between Palm OS and Windows Mobile, having originally started with a Psion running EPOC (forerunner to Symbian). Right now my main device is a Samsung SGH-i600, but I still carry my Treo 680 to play games on (I'm CCO at Astraware).

As Astraware always keep an eye on possible new platforms for development (plus I'm just a gadget addict), I've been looking at Blackberry and Symbian S60 & UIQ devices lately. My feeling is that essentially all of the platforms have positives and there's no such thing as the perfect smartphone (or smartphone OS) because we all want different things from them. As long as there are great quality third party apps out there, then we all have the opportunity to customise them to work how we want.
    mogul here and I love it!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    i feel the same way about the POS. Have switched back and forth and just prefer the other better.
    You should have cheated and used Exchange. I do, only using HS for backup.

I use a 680 all the time, and many of my pluses and gripes are similar. However, there is really nothing as versatile and easy to use. Its the user experience that the 680 brings that makes it for me. Symbian devices so far have been closest, but the touchscreen is a biggie for me. If done right, then it makes things better. The 680 is neart TS done right (IMO), hence why it stays in my stable despite the many missing pieces compared to other models.

Nice series going on.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    uggh guys - I'm still sick from last week's conference. I'll fight my way through my cold medicine here and post some replys to your *excellent* posts in this thread. In the meantime, keep 'em coming here and elsewhere in the round robin as much as ya can - every day you make a RR post is another entry.
    Why was the 680 chossen for this artile? I was looking for something that explained the process, but didn;t find it. (I really hope it's not on the home page and i just missed it, 'cause the flames will be coming)

I would have thought the Centro or the 755P would haqve been more appropiate. They are the most recently release and include things like IM & google maps. In the centro's case a much better form factor.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Why was the 680 chossen for this artile? I was looking for something that explained the process, but didn;t find it. (I really hope it's not on the home page and i just missed it, 'cause the flames will be coming)

I would have thought the Centro or the 755P would haqve been more appropiate. They are the most recently release and include things like IM & google maps. In the centro's case a much better form factor.
    The use is a GSM user, therefore the GSM Treo was chosen. The Centro and 755p would have required the person reviewing to get a contract with Sprint (for a week). That doesn't make too much sense.

As for IM and GMaps: GMaps is available for the 680, IM is a Sprint specific application.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    The use is a GSM user, therefore the GSM Treo was chosen. The Centro and 755p would have required the person reviewing to get a contract with Sprint (for a week). That doesn't make too much sense.

As for IM and GMaps: GMaps is available for the 680, IM is a Sprint specific application.

Ahh .... very sensable - Thanks Antoine.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast