Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Right, a newer GSM Palm OS offering. Like me, and everyone else is waiting for that. Unfortunately, I doubt that there will be one in the near future as it looks like Palm doesn't seem to want to push out new devices anymore.

I think that what WM needs is some of that simplicity of the Palm OS. Sure, multitasking is great but why do they have to keep everything in the background unless we go in and exit or close them all? Give us the ability to tap on the "X" so that it's gone and not running minimized or whatever. That was my biggest gripe about WM.

Regardless, I think the best thing would be to have a WM and Palm OS device so that you can still do all the things that each platform does best and get the best of both worlds, so to speak.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I'm hopeful for a great user experience on the Linux Palm OS. I want Windows Mobile to actually feel competition from the Palm OS and for Palm OS to actually be able to trade shots with Microsoft like they did back in the day when PPC 2002 was out alongside the current Palm OS. Right now, I can't stand to use the Palm OS, and I was a diehard palm fan back in the day (owned the visor, a couple of sony clies, and the Treo 650).
    Wow - a TON of comments here. Awesome!

I think I'm going to store up responses and post them in my Treo680 roundup article tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Wow - a TON of comments here. Awesome!

I think I'm going to store up responses and post them in my Treo680 roundup article tomorrow.
    do it!

Many of us are old Palm OS users - It';s gonna be great to see what a person new to the OS feels about it. What we think is terrible may not be so bad, or may be really as bad as we thought - but the fresh view will be great.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I agree. I want to see some WM6 users head over this way for a change. I keep hearing about people leaving POS for WM6, but few the other way around.

I have been so frustrated with Palm for so long. OTOH, they got it so right in the beginning, I wonder if WM6 and the latest devices are just catching up, or have they surpassed Palm? (Hardware wise, this is a no-brainer. WM devices with BT2.0 and Wifi have way past Palm).
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    I'll admit, I'm a long time Palm user and am watching this RoundRobin closer than others because I'm considering WM. I feel like Palm is Windows XP and WM is Vista. All I really want is XP 64bit.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD View Post
    I agree. I want to see some WM6 users head over this way for a change. I keep hearing about people leaving POS for WM6, but few the other way around.

I have been so frustrated with Palm for so long. OTOH, they got it so right in the beginning, I wonder if WM6 and the latest devices are just catching up, or have they surpassed Palm? (Hardware wise, this is a no-brainer. WM devices with BT2.0 and Wifi have way past Palm).
    right - harware no argument. But really - is no multitasking that much of an issue? And Palm has bugs ... but how many does WM have?

It's get a little blury when you start adding 3rd party software, but still, this is gonna be good
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.

They got it right in the late 90s/early 2000, but POS 5.xxx has been out for what, 5 years? That's just PATHETIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    They got it right in the late 90s/early 2000, but POS 5.xxx has been out for what, 5 years? That's just PATHETIC.
    Exactly. That's my point.

If Palm was to have focused on updating their platform, they would be far ahead right now. WM has come a long way and, if they keep up this momentum, they will go even further.

While we don't have a Round Robin yet on going from POS to WM6, we have heard plenty of people talking about it in the recent past. This is the first time I have participated in a conversation going "backwards."
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I have been so frustrated with Palm for so long.
    I agree. In 2005 I went from WM2003 to a Treo 650, just to see if the PalmOS had improved since my Visor and M505 days, but I couldn't get rid of the Treo quick enough.

For me, it was the lack of multitasking that ultimately drove me away... I felt confined by the way apps would close rather than run in the background. I also found the OS cumbersome; most think it's the other way around, but I found simple tasks such as adding a file to an email on the Treo burdensome.
    Mundu Instant messaging does multi-task, as does the push eMail client Chatter eMail.

Booth applications pop-up message notifications regardless of what other application or game you're in.

Perhaps there are other areas of multitasking that Palm is incapable of but the review should get his facts straight. In this case, multi-tasking (or the perception there-of) seems to be less about the 0/S and more about the software.

Dieter Bohn has written an article without properly researching all the facts. How can one be sure that any other aspect of the article is accurate?

If I have misunderstood your point, please clarify your gripe.

One more thing - where did you get the statistic "most Palm users use Palm desktop?" As a Palm user, I've avoided using the desktop at all costs and have synchronised all of my Palm Treos with Outlook. Not only is it more convenient BUT it allows me to keep one programe to manage all of my contacts, notes, schedules etc.

Regards,

Ben
    Dieter, for the record, I agree with most of your gripes but would like to add:

1. After having used a WM device, I find the Palm os refreshingly simple to navigate.
    2. The media apps may be third party but from what I've seen, they _are_ better.
    3. After having used a Nokia Communicator 9000, 3 Treos and 2 WM Device, I'm yet to see a navigator as good with Java websites as the Communicator. I've just installed Opera Mini 4 Final this afternoon and perhaps this is the killer web app.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez View Post
    Dieter, for the record, I agree with most of your gripes but would like to add:

1. After having used a WM device, I find the Palm os refreshingly simple to navigate.
    2. The media apps may be third party but from what I've seen, they _are_ better.
    3. After having used a Nokia Communicator 9000, 3 Treos and 2 WM Device, I'm yet to see a navigator as good with Java websites as the Communicator. I've just installed Opera Mini 4 Final this afternoon and perhaps this is the killer web app.
    I definitely agree with the point about the media apps. Kinoma is absolutely fantastic for the Palm OS. I can stream the TreoCentral Treocast without ever downloading it, can pause it, come back to it later, and it picks up right where I left off! And that is with STREAMING! Full access to internet video (i.e. YouTube), excellent media management. In fact, the only thing missing is background play.

Now I also use the Slingplayer, PocketTunes and CorePlayer, and coupled with Softick Audio Gateway, I have A2DP as well! The iPhone can't do that. Not all Windows Mobile phones can do that.
    gjlowe, Can you explain why you use three players?

You've explained PocketTunes (becuase it plays in the background and with the phone off). Are there any other reasons? And why use CorePlayer as well?

At the moment I use both and hoping to discard one if I purchase Kinoma EX 4.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123