Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Samsung i780 which we talked about earlier this month was finally announced by Samsung in London yesterday.

Samsung i780 follows the design of i600 and it will be a top of the line product integrating the 3G, HSDPA, GPS and Wi-Fi. The main features of this device include a full keyboard, a screen with 320320 pixels resolution, Windows Mobile 6 Pro OS, as well as a mouse which gets rid of the stylus making it operable with only one hand.

Hardware specs:

2.6″ TFT touch screen
    Full QWERTY keyboard
    integrated GPS receiver with assisted GPS
    Triband GSM (900, 1800 and 1900 MHz), GPRS, EDGE, 3G (2100 MHz) and HSDPA
    2MP digital camera and a VGA lens in the front for video conferencing
    256 MB ROM
    128 MB RAM
    Bluetooth 2.0 + A2DP
    Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
    MiniUSB 2.0
    microSD port
    Integrated Trackpoint
    Dimensions : 11.66.11.33 cm
    Mobile Windows 6 Professional
    No details have been revealed about the supplier of the GPS chip by Samsung. It will be marketed in Europe in January for about 500 Euros
    http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/...-i780-details/

I have a Kaiser, but with an exposed keyboard, large flush high resolution screen and slim size I may just have to trade up.

Surur
    mouse for one handed nav? WTF?
    Newness Developments apps:

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    mouse for one handed nav? WTF?
    Kind of like the trackball on the Pearl? That has become very popular.

Surur
    Interesting...

Ergonomically, I'm not yet sold on the trackpoint, I guess I'd have to play with it first. Still waiting for that perfect device.

[Off topic] Surur why aren't you off in the round-robin forums trying to win an Iphone? You're a shoo-in
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    [Off topic] Surur why aren't you off in the round-robin forums trying to win an Iphone? You're a shoo-in
    I would want to have an iPhone first, wouldn't I

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I would want to have an iPhone first, wouldn't I

Surur
    LOL, touche... Given the amount of iphone-related posts, your absence in that forum seemed a bit, uhhh, conspicuous. Unless of course, Dieter tied your hands with a USB-cable, heheh.

( my conspiracy theory for the day )
    Surur,

If I lived out East, I wouldn't think twice about buying this phone. If those specs hold up than this is by far THE BEST SMARTPHONE I have ever seen hit the market. JMO of course.

I pray this thing makes it to the US. We get the Blackjack 2 hahahahaha
    Magnificent device! That possesses every possible feature I could want in a smartphone. I could buy that and not want another upgrade for 5 years!

The cat's meow.... there is no doubt about it.

Unfortunately, the US and its carriers ( b/c of their self-imposed limitations as Mossberg described) receive only mediocre devices in comparison with this beauty.

What an absolute gem.
    Triband...checked
    Front camera...checked
    GPS....checked

It will never come to U.S. then heh.

I do like the fake allegator skin.
  10.    #10  
    Samsung has a strong US presence, so I am sure they wil send a US version AT&T's way.

Surur
    This is indeed a nice device. Definitely something that if priced right will make the 750 a heck of a squeeze out. I hope that battery life is solid-ish with the GPS, but good to see it included.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    This is indeed a nice device. Definitely something that if priced right will make the 750 a heck of a squeeze out. I hope that battery life is solid-ish with the GPS, but good to see it included.
    I'm sure the battery life is terrible with GPS, but most people use it in their cars, where power is readily available.

Surur
    I'm hoping this will be my next device, maybe as the i787?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I'm sure the battery life is terrible with GPS, but most people use it in their cars, where power is readily available.
    If its not usable when walking around town just as much so as when in a car then phooey. And I say that having used the N95's GPS for biking and walking and it did a lot better than I thought it would battery wise.

One thing about it...since the battery area of the phone is thinner than the top portion where the camera lens is, it shouldn't be tough to develop a high capacity battery that won't require an obnoxious battery door.
    You need GPS for walking?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    In NYC with MS Live Search it's pretty awesome. Here aGPS would be really nice as it takes a long time to acquire a good GPS-only signal with all the skyscrapers.

Also, lots of people use GPS for hiking and off-road activities.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I do on occasions here in NC. I also use it when biking to track mileage and see what other paths/roads might be around that I'll miss. Its pretty handy even without geotagging everyting.

19.    #19  
    You know Samsung - they will ship it with 2 batteries - just carry both with you

Surur
    If this thing drops on Sprint before the 800w (fat chance - first US, then CDMA!), my 700wx is destined for eBay.

More realistically, here's hoping that Palm's new management sees this as the bar and jams the 800w with features to match.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast