Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The BlackBerry Curve (8310)

For the first week of Smartphone Experts' Smartphone Round Robin, I was assigned the BlackBerry Curve 8310. As I've indicated in the Crackberry forums, I've said some nasty things about BB in the past. Some of that is going to have to be put behind me this week; this BlackBerry 8810 isn't going to use itself.

And don't forget - a comment on this post counts as an entry in the Round Robin Contest!

Read more at http://www.phonedifferent.com/2007/1...rry_curve.html
    this is gonna be good. I just recommended this phone to two people new to the Smartphone world- both heavy e-mail users. I was comparing to a Treo, not a iphone. Hope i got it right
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Welcome CrackBerry.com users!

If you are interested, Mike praised the 8310 a bit in our TreoCentral podcast, it's towards the beginning.
    BB devices are rock solid.

Too bad they use some goofy OS If they ran WM that's all I would own.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    BB devices are rock solid.

That, jrinehart, is a fascinating statement. If we did a Windows Mobile podcast, I would want to talk about that.

Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Welcome CrackBerry.com users!

If you are interested, Mike praised the 8310 a bit in our TreoCentral podcast, it's towards the beginning.
    Guilty as charged. Powering through email on the BlackBerry is faster than on the Desktop. I still use the Desktop for sorting everything into folders, but my email setup might be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    this is gonna be good. I just recommended this phone to two people new to the Smartphone world- both heavy e-mail users. I was comparing to a Treo, not a iphone. Hope i got it right
    If all they want is e-mail/PIM, you probably made the right suggestion... probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    That, jrinehart, is a fascinating statement. If we did a Windows Mobile podcast, I would want to talk about that.

You can't argue with the devices. Maybe the earlier versions (72xx etc..) but not with the new 8830, 8310 etc. I was surprised at the trackball most of all. How smooth it moved and how accurate it could be.

I don't like Symbian OS. I guess it's because I've always been a WM guy and that is what I know, so the idea of getting to know a new OS is very unappealing. Not to mention the lack of 3rd party support. I can do anything with my 700wx/Mogul. I have even written some small apps for my phones that you can't do (maybe can, I just don't know how) with the Symbian OS.

I had better close this before I go off on a tangent.

just what i was looking for, an honest phone switch. It'll be interesting to read this week as I'm in the market for a new phone, and the toss up is between the iphone and the curve.
    I've never owned a blackberry (I use a Treo 680 and an iPod Touch) but I've tried several models out in stores and never liked the keyboard -- it was even worse than the Treo's, which I find overly round, hard, and frustrating to type on.

On the IT side, the idea of a server sitting on top of Exchange is just a completely unnecessary level of complexity, and RIM parsing everything themselves, an unacceptable single point of failure (as witnessed in the past).

Lastly, as a Canadian, our obscene data rates make even excellent email handling also expensive email handling.
    Ugh. What to get now, wait for to come out, etc. I have Sprint. I've been looking forward to gettin the 8130 Pearl. I'm not sure how I'll like the SureType keyboard but considering I've been using a regular cell phone with the ABC, DEF, etc lay to type txt msgs I guess the suretype keyboard would be a sort of improvement. No word on Spring getting the Curve YET. It's a toss up with me between the 8130 Pearl 2 or the Centro for Sprint. If the Curve was around for Sprint though the toss up wouldn't be so hard.
    Well this is a great first post about the Blackberry world coming from a non-blackberry user. Of all of these device reviews, I'm mostly interested in Blackberry as its most foreign to me. Of course, I'd also be interested in Symbian devices like the N95, but I digress. I'm excited for Dieter to review the crackberry as he's a fellow WM guy...but Mike, your insights are also VERY helpful for me too!
    Quote Originally Posted by rener View Post
    I've never owned a blackberry (I use a Treo 680 and an iPod Touch) but I've tried several models out in stores and never liked the keyboard -- it was even worse than the Treo's, which I find overly round, hard, and frustrating to type on.

On the IT side, the idea of a server sitting on top of Exchange is just a completely unnecessary level of complexity, and RIM parsing everything themselves, an unacceptable single point of failure (as witnessed in the past).

Lastly, as a Canadian, our obscene data rates make even excellent email handling also expensive email handling.
    Until the announcment of SMS Mobile 2008 and the release of Exchange 2007 there was no real "non 3rd party" way for Enterprises to get the same level of functionality that a Good Messaging or RIM would bring.

And you are right. The beauty of an "Active Sync" enviornment (speaking enterprise) is the lack of what you say, an unacceptable single point of failure. But with beauty often times comes the lack of brains if you will.

We used blueberry devices for several years in my corporation but with the lack of proper support from RIM concerning the server, we made a move to another cell carrier and to Good Messaging. If I could, I would have kept each BB device and put Good Messaging on them. The devices are great, but to use it in an enterprise is not when the BES in the picture.

My cousin has a Curve - and honestly the resolution is too low for that screen ... and I had a freakin 700wx! Honestly, BB's just seem too business to me for a power user to fully utilize and tweak the device.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

If BB ran Winblows...errr I mean Windows it's would no longer be rock solid.
    how is the curve to hold as a phone? the one time I looked at it in a store it felt too wide to me..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    treo feels much more natural as a phone. I own noth and prefer the 700p in many ways.
    I love my curve, the treos seem overly large to me, like a 2 handed device, where as my curve, I can fully type and do pretty much every basic function with one had and not worry about anything.
    good article. BTW there's a few typos:

search for
    toucscreens
    problem
    What a let down with the browser, I was actually excited for it. Thinking the BB could be a replacement for my 700wx was a joke.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Does the curve have cut/copy/paste? that's something I use on my Treo, and the lack of has prevented my interest in the iPhone. (Of course, it'd be better with 'shift-arrow' highlighting text, so you could do it from the keyboard. How does the blackberry highlight text (if it does) for onehanded use (and no touchscreen)?

Also, Opera Mini on the Treo doesn't seem as good as your description on the Curve. Is there a significant difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    You can't argue with the devices. Maybe the earlier versions (72xx etc..) but not with the new 8830, 8310 etc. I was surprised at the trackball most of all. How smooth it moved and how accurate it could be.

I don't like Symbian OS. I guess it's because I've always been a WM guy and that is what I know, so the idea of getting to know a new OS is very unappealing. Not to mention the lack of 3rd party support. I can do anything with my 700wx/Mogul. I have even written some small apps for my phones that you can't do (maybe can, I just don't know how) with the Symbian OS.

I had better close this before I go off on a tangent.
    I didn't realize that BB was running Symbian. In fact, I'm pretty sure it runs its own, Java-based OS, yes? And I know for a fact that you can develop 3rd party apps for the BB because of their Java capabilities...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast