Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnovate View Post
    Does the curve have cut/copy/paste? How does the blackberry highlight text (if it does) for onehanded use (and no touchscreen)?
    If it's like the Pearl (which my wife uses) then yes, you can cut/copy/paste. You select the text somehow using the trackball. Personally, I'm not going to switch to a BB because of the trackball. I'm tired of popping off that little retaining ring (which seems flimsy) to remove it for cleaning every couple of weeks for my wife. I feel like I went back to the 80's and am using a 512K "Fat Mac"
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  2. #22  
    Ya, it's the same on the curve, you can cut,copy,paste easily...one handed if ya wish...and how does your wifes trackball get so dirty anyways?..lol I never have any problems with the trackball on my curve.
  3. #23  
    Being a Treo 700wx owner, I have to say that, though I'm not a fan of the BB line, I do like the way the curve looks...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Being a Treo 700wx owner, I have to say that, though I'm not a fan of the BB line, I do like the way the curve looks...
    I think the curve is definitely a hit for the target market that RIM was focusing on, and that's the consumer or prosumer demographic. Great design, very good size, and pretty good features. Of course, it's still really a business first device with some consumer stuff added in on the side.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I think the curve is definitely a hit for the target market that RIM was focusing on, and that's the consumer or prosumer demographic. Great design, very good size, and pretty good features. Of course, it's still really a business first device with some consumer stuff added in on the side.
    Indeed.... And I feel that with the ActiveSync push technology and the new server software Microsoft is getting ready to push out, RIM is going to be losing ground in the business arena if they don't start working on features similar to those available on WM devices...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Indeed.... And I feel that with the ActiveSync push technology and the new server software Microsoft is getting ready to push out, RIM is going to be losing ground in the business arena if they don't start working on features similar to those available on WM devices...
    Going forward with WM6.1 and particularly WM7, I hope MS REALLY focuses on two things - speed of the OS and user interface. The reason the iPhone is so popular is probably due to those two things and of course, brand name recognition.
  7. #27  
    I can never remember how to quote just a certain section of someone's previous post.
    I went from the Nextel 7510 to the 7520 to the 7100. I was nervous and doubtful of SureType. However it is quite brilliant and did a great job. One eventually gets faster as there are less keys to press. Also as a one-handed device a SureType model is narrower and when coupled with less keys to press it really works well.
    I moved to the Treo line because of all of my medical programs and wanted to converge to one device. If it weren't for that I would still use a Bberry.
    Oops, I take that back - I got tired of paying $45 a month for unlimited data. The Treo is definitely cheaper as far as data I think with any carrier.
  8. #28  
    gksmithlcw: You are correct and thank you for pointing out my error!

    I have been in the middle of testing Nokia's Intellisync and using the N61 and the feel of Symbian is very similar to RIM. I was not thinking
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul


    Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
  9. #29  
    Of the 4 devices being swapped the iPhone and BlackBerry are the most different. The iPhone is about web browsing and entertainment, whereas the BlackBerry is about email and business. The iPhone interface is elegant whereas BlackBerry is a throwback with its clumsy icons and trackball (!). Apples and berries, so to speak. About the only things worth comparing are the "secondary" features such as the phone and calendar. Of course, things will change as they both add features for different markets.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    BB devices are rock solid.

    Too bad they use some goofy OS If they ran WM that's all I would own.
    But if they ran Windoze they wouldn't be rock solid. Seriously.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Ya, it's the same on the curve, you can cut,copy,paste easily...one handed if ya wish...and how does your wifes trackball get so dirty anyways?..lol I never have any problems with the trackball on my curve.
    Not quite sure how it gets so dirty, but she doesn't baby the phone like I do my Treo...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  12. #32  
    It is true that the iPhone interface, and web browsing experience, is far superior to the Blackberry, and for that matter ay other smartphone (sorry Touch advocates)...BUT...as a long time user of Treos (600 & 650), a half dozen WM Smartphones and PPC's (including recently the 3125, 8125, Blackjack, and Tilt), and a one week test of the iPhone, the BB Curve is the best smartphone implementation yet.
    • Email cannot be touched by any other platform
    • Exchange synchronization of email, calendar, contacts, tasks AND notes is flawless
    • voice dialing (imagine that Mr. Jobs) works right out of the box; no training and initiates calls from your bluetooth headset without endless registry edits (take that Mr. Gates)
    • speaking of bluetooth - headsets and stereo a snap (even on Moto S9 which skipped all over the place on Blackjack and Tilt)
    • GPS a great add on with Google Maps
    • BEST OF ALL - excellent call quality on both ends
    On the overall satisfaction meter, the Curve 8310 is a 9 out of the box; old style interface and all. That comes from five solid years of searching for the perfect "smartphone" regardless of OS platform. As a friend recently put it best, the BB Curve was designed as a communication device from the ground up, not a converted PDA (ala Palm and WM) or iPod (Apple) with voice communication and email bolted on the side.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I didn't realize that BB was running Symbian. In fact, I'm pretty sure it runs its own, Java-based OS, yes? And I know for a fact that you can develop 3rd party apps for the BB because of their Java capabilities...
    BBs do NOT run Symbian (of any iteration). They use a heavily modified java-based OS (probably the best made one to date). All 3rd party apps for BBs are Java apps.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnovate View Post
    Does the curve have cut/copy/paste? that's something I use on my Treo, and the lack of has prevented my interest in the iPhone. (Of course, it'd be better with 'shift-arrow' highlighting text, so you could do it from the keyboard. How does the blackberry highlight text (if it does) for onehanded use (and no touchscreen)?

    Also, Opera Mini on the Treo doesn't seem as good as your description on the Curve. Is there a significant difference?
    Highlighting test is shift-directional pad on BBs.
    Opera Mini is the same on all platoforms, however the underlying Java engine makes the browser different on Treos versus BBs. The Java implementation on Treos is quite poor, and therefore Opera Mini and several other Java-based programs just are not as good in terms of overall user experience compared to BBs.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    It is true that the iPhone interface, and web browsing experience, is far superior to the Blackberry, and for that matter ay other smartphone (sorry Touch advocates)...BUT...as a long time user of Treos (600 & 650), a half dozen WM Smartphones and PPC's (including recently the 3125, 8125, Blackjack, and Tilt), and a one week test of the iPhone, the BB Curve is the best smartphone implementation yet.
    • Email cannot be touched by any other platform
    • Exchange synchronization of email, calendar, contacts, tasks AND notes is flawless
    • voice dialing (imagine that Mr. Jobs) works right out of the box; no training and initiates calls from your bluetooth headset without endless registry edits (take that Mr. Gates)
    • speaking of bluetooth - headsets and stereo a snap (even on Moto S9 which skipped all over the place on Blackjack and Tilt)
    • GPS a great add on with Google Maps
    • BEST OF ALL - excellent call quality on both ends
    On the overall satisfaction meter, the Curve 8310 is a 9 out of the box; old style interface and all. That comes from five solid years of searching for the perfect "smartphone" regardless of OS platform. As a friend recently put it best, the BB Curve was designed as a communication device from the ground up, not a converted PDA (ala Palm and WM) or iPod (Apple) with voice communication and email bolted on the side.
    The blackberry was built from the ground up to be an EMAIL communication device. Phone, internet, multimedia was an after thought, much like it has been for all smartphones. This gets better with each new OS, but it takes a big revamping for a device to be good at it all. This is what I'm hoping for with WM7 and the Linux POS.
  16. #36  
    I have always read that BB's email is so superior to anything else but I have never read a review that details what makes it better. I have a 700w with hosted exchange from 1and1.com. To me this is a fantastic email solution.

    What are the ways that BB still beats this combination out?
  17. kc25's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #37  
    BB email does rock, I get email on the curve substantially faster than the PC. How's that????? After all the discussion about the shortcomings of the browser...lets see some great software coming real soon, as if our techno types could create successful touch screens, but not a software program that would browse effectively. C'mon you programmers out there in cyberland, lets see your stuff!
  18. dckiwi's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by kc25 View Post
    After all the discussion about the shortcomings of the browser...lets see some great software coming real soon
    OperaMini's out of beta now, has had a couple more enhancements.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions