Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is an official Round Robin contest thread

I put up my article on my initial thoughts on the iPhone awhile ago.

So feel free to discuss it here for more chances to win that smartphone of your choice!
    Besides the calendar "rolodex" thing, what turned you around to liking the calendar?
  3.    #3  
    I like how it looks on the big screen. It's really easy to see. I usually have to wear reading glasses when I've got my contacts in but I can see the iPhone screen very clearly. I also like the List view. I like the graphics and the simplicity of entering events with the keyboard.
    How about size? Thickness is ok, but the footprint seems big compared to the Treo. When I checked it out in an apple store I had a flashback to my old Visor-Treo Phone combo.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  5.    #5  
    The size is fine to me. It's not that much bigger than my Treo 680 and is of course thinner. I have noticed though that with the iPhone being thin and the sides being very slick, it's harder to pick up from a flat surface than my 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    it's harder to pick up from a flat surface than my 680.
    Very true. I wonder how the iPod Touch people feel about this one...
    Wait. You have to BUY a separate desktop app to view photos from the IP on your desktop? Can that be right?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    would love to hear more about synching.

Silly as it may sound, the thought of losing my phone with all of it's data is scary. That's the number one reason I have a smart phone.

The treo does OK w/ Outlook. Does the Iphone?? Does it match up ok w/ the contact entries and the calendar entries?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Wait. You have to BUY a separate desktop app to view photos from the IP on your desktop? Can that be right?
    No, that's not right. If it was, that would really suck.

Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 is freeware. If you have Adobe Photoshop Elements, that will work too.

On the Mac, it's compatible with iPhoto, which ships with every Mac.
  10.    #10  
    Nope, I wouldn't have been very happy if I'd had to actually buy some photo software. I should have stated in my article that the software was freeware.
    It's hard for me to use the iPhone as a smartphone, I basically just sync my Yahoo addrress book and my iTune podcast library and call it a day. I understand there is a free app that sync your google calendar to the iCal or something.

As for websites, I still find mobile sites like bloglines or skeezer work better on the iPhone. Zooming in and out of the websites gets tired after a while.
    I played with an iPhone at the store on a variety of different accounts. The GUI is absolutely beautiful and Safari is GREAT (I personally can't wait for Opera Mobile 9 to come out which has similar features, for now Mini 4 will do...). The screen is the best out there currently for a smartphone as well. However....no 3G, no official 3rd party app support (until February now it seems), restrictive data plans on AT&T, no open codec support, no Slingbox, no GPS, and no MS Exchange Activesync = no go for me. Maybe when the 2nd gen iPhone comes out it'll be enough to warrant a switch for me, but I passed on the iPhone.
    feel the same way with out 3rd party support I passed on the iphone.picked up the centro and loving every minute of it have my sling box and gps working and love the speed of this baby.
    Fred
    3g, streaming audio (radio stations) and a2dp are the three biggest for me ..some day maybe we'll see...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Even though it slows down my Treo (significantly), the one thing that I love about it is using my bluetooth wireless headphones with Softick Audio Gateway. Although I drool whenever I see the iPhone's screen, I could never go back to using wireless headphones. Especially for a phone that's supposed to be a multimedia powerhouse, I'm really disappointed Apple decided not to include this feature (also, Jennifer wouldn't have had her tangling-wire problem if the iPhone had bluetooth wireless support).
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    "How about size? Thickness is ok, but the footprint seems big compared to the Treo"

If it seems big compared to the treo, consider comparing it to the centro. IMHO the centro is the perfect size device.
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602 View Post
    "How about size? Thickness is ok, but the footprint seems big compared to the Treo"

If it seems big compared to the treo, consider comparing it to the centro. IMHO the centro is the perfect size device.
    I'm a Treo fan, but I can't agrree that Centro is the perfect size. I would say there is no perfect size. If you were watching Video or on the internet all the times, the iphone screen would be a better size.

For myself, i would go w/ the centro screen size w/o a problem. But let's be fair to those who want the "entertainment' device.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  18.    #18  
    The size of the iPhone is a little bigger than the Treo. I think I mentioned this in another thread. With the iPhone being thinner and the sides being so slick, it's harder to pick up the iPhone from a flat surface than the Treo.

So have you given the battery a run for its money?

I'm afraid that if I used this as a phone and a media player the battery wouldn't last too long and, of course, you can't carry a spare like you can with a Treo...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    ...you can't carry a spare like you can with a Treo...
    A huge consideration for me, and why I haven't switched to the iPhone...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast