Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I must say that TouchPal was a big reason why it made it easier for me to transition to the Tilt after my Treo 750.
    I agree... I've tried PCMKeyboard, HTKeyboard, Dual keyboard, SPB fullscreen, plus a couple of others.

By far, the easiest I find is TouchPal. A bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty quick and really intuitive... I just wish is was landscape also.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I did get to play around with the iPhone interface while looking at the iTouch, and dont like the typing.
    It was slow and the mistakes I made typing in url's were annoying. Even if I got used to it, I have the feeling it will never match the more useful Treo keyboard.
    The iPhone keyboard IS software, so maybe it will get better with updates. Turning the phone on its' side helped, but it still seemed to want to pick the next letter over too often.
    I can foresee a device that pulls together Palm's form factor and iPhone's beautiful, larger screen and refined media elements.
    With this week's Google announcement, and Palms stifling response...I am no longer certain it will be Palm that does it. 2009 may very well be too late to launch in such a changing competitive environment; they need exactly the opposite of vaporware and delay we've been experiencing too often from Palm.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I've used Palms and Treos on a daily basis since the Palm V. My last Treo was a 700p. I've also used Blackberrys. Email, calendar, phone, and web were are most important to me, and in that order, but used most other functions and lots of 3rd party apps. Switched to the iPhone. Thought it was VERY cute, but was skeptical for the first week or so. Now, I cannot imagine going back. I went back to my 700p for a day recently and it felt like I was using an IBM selectric typewriter. Yes, there are lots of missing pieces on the iphone (mostly software), like a decent search capability and cutting and pasting. But focusing on these holes really misses the point (and those deficiencies will be fixed within months, either by Apple or others). This iPhone clearly represents a significant evolution in handheld devices. You've read all of the reviews, so I won't repeat it's features here. But I challenge anyone to use it consistently and exclusively for 3 or 4 weeks and then tell me they don't want one (unless you don't use an iPod, don't use the web on a desktop/laptop, and don't have wifi easily available at your usual locations, like home). It just changes how, where, and when you'll use such a pocketable device. Playing with it in a store won't provide you with enough experience to make a real judgment. And one last point-- it's fun, beautiful, powerful, and stable. I haven't said that since my Treo 600 (or maybe 650)... (w/o the stability).
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I'm a Palm fan and have a Treo 700wx now. My wife wants the Treo, so I'm looking for a new device.

iPhone
    I really like the look of the iPhone, but I am a power-user and like to tinker, it sounds like the iPhone is out in that department. (And whats up with no stereo BT?)

Tilt
    I use WM5 now, so the Tilt really has my interest. How does the performance compare to the Treo 700wx? I also have a Dell x51v, boy does it blow the Treo away in performance. But I want PDA Phone, one device.

Thks
    Seems the iPhone is "what you see is what you get". Power users need not apply.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Well..to be fair, what you see is pretty good. Iphone has a killer screen & browser.

It really depends on what you want feature wise.
  7.    #47  
    I went back to my 700p for a day recently and it felt like I was using an IBM selectric typewriter.
    LOL, that was a funny comparison! I loved it!

Tilt
    I use WM5 now, so the Tilt really has my interest. How does the performance compare to the Treo 700wx? I also have a Dell x51v, boy does it blow the Treo away in performance. But I want PDA Phone, one device.
    I've never used a Treo 700wx but I would wager a guess that the Tilt would have a better performance. Hopefully someone reading here who has used both a 700wx and a Tilt will chime in and let us know how they compare. I'm interested to know myself. Mmmm, I always thought the Dell x51v looked sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Seems the iPhone is "what you see is what you get". Power users need not apply.
    Sort of.

I have a touch, so Im missing the phone features but I am just using the treo as a phone now, except when I go out and dont need music eg. work meetings.

Once you have 'jailbreaked' the ipod/iphone, there is a slew of FREE 3rd party apps available and they ALL seems to work very well, unlike the somewhat clunky freeware that is out there for Palm OS. the process is quite easy, and if you could do Treo custom ROM's this is a piece of cake.

I will get an iPhone 2nd gen I think. Palm is moving much too slowly and now apple has dealt a massive blow.
    I made the switch to the iphone when it came out and have not looked back. Most of what I do is email, calendar, & web browsing. I find it just fine as a phone and incredible as a web browser (given you're on wi fi). I never used any Treo (and I've had most) that much on the web, I use the iphone all of the time, often instead of a desktop or notebook computer. Yes, there is some missing functionality at this point (e.g., search, docs editing) all of which is a matter of software (and which will change dramatically once the SDK is released next month). But you are right, the 3rd party "jailbroken" apps show how incredible the platform is for great, on-the-go software. (So does the google maps program) So, if you have WiFi around (which I've discovered is almost everywhere I go), like to listen to an ipod, like the idea of sometimes watching outstandingly clear video, and want to really want to like owning and using you pda phone, join the club. All users I know who have done the same and came from Treo world have not looked back (once they got used to the on-screen keyboard, which can take up to a couple of weeks).
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    yeah, totally agree. Im not a corporate user so I will never need Office apps, I got rid of them on the Treo.

Im just shocked how Apple has pretty much nailed the iPhone on the first go. Sure its missing a few next gen features, but those will come.

The GUI is what we would have hoped Palm OS would be today. I feel like Im using a Palm m500 when using my Treo now.
    What I miss about the Treo 680 since switching to the iPhone:

Ability to beam/send info. Ability to shoot video. Find contact by typing letters. DialByPhoto.

What I don't miss:

Nasty little hard, round keyboard I dreaded ever using. Phone crashing/hanging at least daily (even on fresh, 3rd-party-less installs). Palm's vintage UI. Lack of Wi-Fi. Lack of decent synching esp. media.

iPhone 1.0 has impressed the heck out of me. It's so useful for my needs that many nights I don't even bother pulling out my laptop anymore and just use the iPhone.

(I used to own WinMob 5 and liked it less than Palm. Blackberry was a non-starter for me due to the unusable (for me) keyboard and the single-point-of-IT-insanity-failure that is RIM's server setup. It wins the award for the only thing crazier than Exchange server...)

Can't wait to see the next Round Robin with Nokia, Open Moko, and Android...
    Editor-in-chief, iMore
    Executive producer, Mobile Nations
    Co-host, Iterate, Debug, ZEN & TECH, Ad hoc, MacBreak Weekly
    Cook, grappler, photon wrangler.

http://www.imore.com
    http://www.mobilenations.com
    http://twitter.com/reneritchie
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123