Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I've noticed that listening to music and podcasts doesn't drain the battery too bad, but of course watching videos, especially 2 hour movies does. I'm pretty happy with the battery overall.
    I have no love for the iPhone what so ever, it was touted as being this HUGE revolutionary device when it first was announced and the only thing I can see about it that makes it a good device, Apple wants to lock you out of...that being 3rd party apps, sure their is an SDK coming for it, a REAL SDK this time, so says the great Jobs, but, nothing about it appeals to me, I'm still waiting for the revolution, where is it?....it has wifi (big deal, so do WinMobile device, so does BB line), It has touchscreen (nothing new here, Treo and WinMobile been doing it fo yrs now), has a real HTML browser (maybe this is the revolution?)...last but not least...It plays Youtube videos (wow, so does a ton of other devices, and really, I'm 26, don't really find looking at crappy encoded FLV files is all that great)..now maybe if they had sayyy...stage6, you know where that videos actually look good, then it would be a sell point but for me...I'll stick with my BB Curve thnxs.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    I'm a Treo fan, but I can't agrree that Centro is the perfect size. I would say there is no perfect size. If you were watching Video or on the internet all the times, the iphone screen would be a better size.

For myself, i would go w/ the centro screen size w/o a problem. But let's be fair to those who want the "entertainment' device.
    Exactly, for multimedia nothing beats the iPhone if you don't mind being tied to iTunes. I for one am a big fan of Divx/xvid so I want my smartphone to support that format. It's just too easy to convert my video files using PocketDivxEncoder and then loading the perfectly formatted video to my 4gb microSD card for playback on a plane, train, airport, or wherever.
    If you are going to transcode anyway, there are free program that transcode you video to iPhone/iPod format.

If you don't transcode.... you would be using half of the card for one movie.
    pdaluver,

How about an update on that sweet on screen keyboard? I can't imagine a hardcore Treo user becoming acclimated to the loss of a tactile qwerty kb.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  6.    #26  
    Well pdxtreo, I'm getting more used to the onscreen keyboard but I'll take my Treo keyboard anyday. For the very reason that you mentioned; the tactile feedback. Although it's really cool that the iPhone's keyboard responds to your actual finger touches and pops up an enlarged letter of what you tapped on, I prefer the "real" touchable, tactile, raised hard keys on my Treo. When I tap on a key on my Treo's keyboard, I don't have to hope that I'm hitting the correct letter or number; I know I am. It's sort of a hit and miss with the iPhone, for me anyway. I suppose with much more practice, I could really type pretty fast and hopefully more accurate. The iPhone keyboard is very cool and looks great, but I still prefer my Treo's keyboard. It's been very interesting typing on the flat surface of the iPhone the past few days. I'm going to cut my thumbnails this evening and see if I can thumb type any easier.
    No....not the nails! This round robin exercise is proving to be much too costly.
    What I think they should be doing is a comparison of the iphone keyboard with the HTC touch...

...Just a thought...
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
    What I think they should be doing is a comparison of the iphone keyboard with the HTC touch...

...Just a thought...
    Yah I'm curious about that also ... It's really the only "fair" way to compare the keyboards of the iphone to any other smartphone.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post

...Just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    Yah I'm curious about that also ... It's really the only "fair" way to compare the keyboards of the iphone to any other smartphone.
    http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...art_2_vid.html

HTC Touch's (gsm edition, anyway) built-in keyboard sucks. You need a 3rd party app, either spb full screen or TouchPal, to use it. Sprint Touch's keyboard is actually really cool, though.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Short nails do help, also thin thumbs! My wife can fly thumb typing on the iPhone, My wide thumbs and I stumble along miserably.
    I'm wondering about the keyboard also. When I played with the iPhone in a store, I had several mis-types per sentence. That would drive me nuts!

Now that you've had it awhile, have you getten better with the keyboard (as others say they have)?
  13.    #33  
    Yes jarharr, I've gotten better for sure! It did help to cut my thumbnails. I still tend to hit some wrong letters though. I'm sure that with much more practice, I could fly on the keyboard. I learned a long time ago that you have to practice to improve. I would practice the difficult parts in a piece of music on my clarinet until I had it perfect and could play it quickly and fluently.
    I often type no look on my Treo. No way this is going to happen on the iphone. Wait, is there a bump on the screen over the F key on the virtual keyboard???
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
  15.    #35  
    I often type no look on my Treo. No way this is going to happen on the iphone. Wait, is there a bump on the screen over the F key on the virtual keyboard???
    TeeHee, afraid not!

There's no way on earth I could type on the iPhone without looking! I doubt if anyone could.LOL! I'm sure it would result in total gibberish. I've never tried that on my Treo. I'll have to see if I can type on it without looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    TeeHee, afraid not!

There's no way on earth I could type on the iPhone without looking! I doubt if anyone could.LOL! I'm sure it would result in total gibberish. I've never tried that on my Treo. I'll have to see if I can type on it without looking.
    Questions:
    1-As a Treo user, How much do you miss the tactical feel of a keyboard?

2- How is the Text messaging? Can it create threading messages, like the Treo? (love that feature)

3- Are there games available for the IPhone? I don;t own a ipod, so i'm not sure how people get games on there. If the iphone is locked, can you add anything ?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...art_2_vid.html

HTC Touch's (gsm edition, anyway) built-in keyboard sucks. You need a 3rd party app, either spb full screen or TouchPal, to use it. Sprint Touch's keyboard is actually really cool, though.
    I must say that TouchPal was a big reason why it made it easier for me to transition to the Tilt after my Treo 750.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    I'm a Treo fan, but I can't agrree that Centro is the perfect size. I would say there is no perfect size. If you were watching Video or on the internet all the times, the iphone screen would be a better size.

For myself, i would go w/ the centro screen size w/o a problem. But let's be fair to those who want the "entertainment' device.
    I'll grant you a larger screen would be nicer. I was commenting on the size of the device and how it feels in my hand. I was actually trying to imagine how Palm might fit a larger screen into the centro footprint.
  19.    #39  
    Questions:
    1-As a Treo user, How much do you miss the tactical feel of a keyboard?

2- How is the Text messaging? Can it create threading messages, like the Treo? (love that feature)

3- Are there games available for the IPhone? I don;t own a ipod, so i'm not sure how people get games on there. If the iphone is locked, can you add anything ?
    1- I do miss the tactile feel of the keyboard, a lot.

2- There is threaded text messaging on the iPhone. You have to type in a pretty small space, but the little balloons are cute and have nice graphics. I enjoy texting on the iPhone.

3- As of right now, since there are no 3rd party apps, you'll have to get games for the iPhone by jailbreaking it. I did so yesterday but had no luck with the two games that I downloaded; iPong and Sketch. Well, Sketch was actually a cute drawing tool but it never did work for me. You can go online though and play Bejeweled. I'm sure that after Steve Jobs releases the SDK in February, there will be games galore for the iPhone and I for one can't wait!
    The onscreen keyboard of the iPhone is one of its best features. I can type far faster on the iPhone than I do on my blackberry or windows mobile slider.

We just got 3 centro's in yesterday to test (in bright red). The keyboard is awful. I couldnt imagine using it to more than a few emails a day.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast