Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. darufryda5's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #1  
    i was just curious..is the iphone considered a smartphone??
  2. #2  
    hooooo doggy! Dare I answer this, overthrow?

    My paticular vote: just. It is just now because it's been hacked and made into a platform for apps. It will be unquestionably when the SDK is released.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by darufryda5 View Post
    i was just curious..is the iphone considered a smartphone??
    By me, yes. It's a smarter smartphone in many regards than any of the other smartphones I've used, though primarily with media. The browser is what seals the deal on the iPhone for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    hooooo doggy! Dare I answer this, overthrow?

    My paticular vote: just. It is just now because it's been hacked and made into a platform for apps. It will be unquestionably when the SDK is released.
    I think of this definition of smartphones as arbitrary. Most featurephones eaturephones have Java or BREW SDKs. Does that make them smartphones?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    I think of this definition of smartphones as arbitrary. Most featurephones eaturephones have Java or BREW SDKs. Does that make them smartphones?
    Define smartphone, then.
  5. #5  
    wikipedia quote
    A smartphone is a mobile phone offering advanced capabilities beyond a typical mobile phone, often with personal computer like functionality. There is no industry standard definition of a smartphone[1][2]. For some, a smartphone is a phone which runs complete operating system software providing a standardized interface and platform for application developers[3][4]. For others, a smartphone is simply a phone with advanced features[5].
    Incidentally, the iPhone is listed in Wikipedia's entry for smartphones. It would not be there if the masses didn't think it belonged there. If you disagree, log in to wikipedia, take it out and see if the masses put it back in.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    wikipedia quoteFor some, a smartphone is a phone which runs complete operating system software providing a standardized interface and platform for application developers[3][4]. For others, a smartphone is simply a phone with advanced features[5].
    So are you "some" or are you "others?"

    Define smartphone yourself. Or i can make it easy for you. Smartphone or no on the following:

    - iPhone
    - RAZR
    - RAZR II
    - Sidekick
    - Sony W800-series
    - LG's Prada phone
    - Blackjack
    - Treo 680
    - Nokia N95
    - Motorola U9
    - BlackBerry Pearl
    - MOTORIZR Z6tv
    - The Carter Phone
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    So are you "some" or are you "others?"
    I'll freely accept either definition, as the definition from wikipedia makes no distinction between in-house developers and third party developers...



    Regarding the 2nd part, once I get my BlackBerry article up.
  8. #8  
    for me, no.

    without a user accessable file system, a task list, and a sophiticated calendaring program (built-in or easily added) it's just a feature phone. perhaps the king of feature phones, though.

    to me, a smartphone is about productivity, not entertainment.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. dckiwi's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    So are you "some" or are you "others?"

    Define smartphone yourself.
    This debate also seems to raise its head whenever they do polls (time/warner forbes, etc). I remember one year there was controversy as they excluded the Treo from a particular poll because it wasn't a "smartphone", rather, it was classified as a PDA.

    I think it breaks down to a combination of OS, capabilities and processor.

    Courses for horses I guess...
  10. #10  
    I think the iPhone is beyond a feature phone but not yet a smartphone - multimediaphone?
  11. #11  
    I put it in the same category as the N95, p990i, "Premium Multimedia Phone".
  12. #12  
    It's funny, those who do not like/use the phone say it is not a smart phone, and try to "lower" its class by calling it a media phone.

    Those who use/love the phone say it is a smart phone.

    First hand opinions usually matter most, but it really is just an opinion. I consider it a smartphone, without any doubt in my mind. How can you not?

    Sure you "can't" install apps, but soon you will and the capability is there. It's just not allowed yet.

    Not a smartphone because it doesn't have all the "capabilities" of a WM phone? Palm OS cannot multitask properly (a very basic function in every other SP OS, including iPhone), does that bring it down a tier on the smartphone scale?

    I'm not hear to praise the iPhone, there are many things I like better about my WM phones, but I just feel that the "iPhone is not a smartphone" theory is more anti-iPhone than anything.
  13. #13  
    To me, I sought out and bought my first smartphone (MPx200) years ago because I wanted my contacts and my calendar to be accessible on my phone and I wanted them to sync with my desktop seamlessly. I also wanted to be able to open and edit my MS office files. I of course soon learned to access my email and the internet and I even added mp3 player functionality to my smartphone. But what it boils down to for me is, until these other platforms (and I use that word loosely w.r.t. to the iphone) get the calendar and contacts to sync as easily as my smartphone I am sticking with WM.
  14. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    #14  
    If a phone has email, it's "smart" enough for me!
  15. #15  
    I dislike the premise of the Iphone altogether. But have to concede that it is a smartphone just by simple computing power.

    As far as third party apps, I think both apple and the evil orange and blue had to protect their investment in a major way, so they are both figuring out ways to unlock and yet still lock some of the Iphone's potential.

    I may be super loyal to the Treo family, but I actually think that like the original IPODs aka white bricks with vibrating HDD have evolved, the Iphone has an untapped potential and outstanding marketing behind it.

    I see a second, perhaps third generation IPHONE nano-er-ish (aka, cheaper than the IPHONE) eating RIM, PALM and any other WM phone manufacturer's dinner.


    I am scared for everyone in the smartphone world, because Apple's ability to penetrate a market and run it is unparallel. Ask any noob to tech gadgets what am MP3 player is and they'll tell you "ain't that an IPOD?"
    Pretty soon, they'll be saying the same thing about a smartphone...or is it already happening?
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
  16. #16  
    Apple has a poor history of penetrating to desktop and server market, and unlike the mp3 player market, face very strong encumbents.

    The main thing Apple has got, is the media on its side. With their recent shenanigans however they are well overdue for a backlash.

    Surur
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Apple has a poor history of penetrating to desktop and server market, and unlike the mp3 player market, face very strong encumbents.

    The main thing Apple has got, is the media on its side. With their recent shenanigans however they are well overdue for a backlash.

    Surur

    Yes, judging by their stock price, its apparent Apple has no idea what they are doing.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Yes, judging by their stock price, its apparent Apple has no idea what they are doing.
    Who said anything about stock price? (except you that is... Shareholder?)

    Surur
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Who said anything about stock price? (except you that is... Shareholder?)

    Surur
    I own not one share (unfortunately), and the only Apple product I own is an iPhone. Last I checked, Apple also sold 2 million copies of their new OS, and their computer market share continues to grow nicely.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I own not one share (unfortunately), and the only Apple product I own is an iPhone. Last I checked, Apple also sold 2 million copies of their new OS, and their computer market share continues to grow nicely.
    Just like the Zune market share?

    Not relevant? Yes, just like Apple's share price is not relevant. Don't you know we are in a tech stock bubble?

    Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions