Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Just like the Zune market share?

Not relevant? Yes, just like Apple's share price is not relevant. Don't you know we are in a tech stock bubble?

Surur
    Not sure what you are talking about in regard to the Zune. Apple's share price has surged because of strong ipod and iphone sales, along with strong Laptop/desktop and OS sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Not sure what you are talking about in regard to the Zune. Apple's share price has surged because of strong ipod and iphone sales, along with strong Laptop/desktop and OS sales.
    Yes, with a price earnings ratio close to 50, I'm sure there is no irrational exuberance there at all. Not even a little bit. Just like RIMM. Solid investment.

Surur
    Apple has a poor history of penetrating to desktop and server market, and unlike the mp3 player market, face very strong encumbents.

The main thing Apple has got, is the media on its side. With their recent shenanigans however they are well overdue for a backlash.

Surur
    Hey Farva, what is that restaurant we go to?

Surur! I love that word.

When you put the phone up against the likes any HTC or the Treo series I find it hard to classify it as a "smartphone". To me, it's just an overblown mp3 player with a great browser. The only difference between the iPhone and my PSP is making a phone call.

I would categorize it as a multimedia phone.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    So many 3rd-party programs were created for Treo because the Treo did not come with things people thought should have been standard.

What 3rd party programs would you think the iPhone needs (when Apple allows them afetr January)?
    Looking at the apps I used frequently on my Treo:

- A Task / Todo list
    - An RPN (reverse polish notation) calculator
    - A calendar with the functionality of DateBk 5 or 6
    (The iphone calendar has lots of flash, but not nearly the substance: customizalbe alarms, flexiable repeats, floating events, integration of calendar events and todos, multiple calendar views (daily, 3 days, full week, monthly), customizable even categories
    - An email app and file system that lets me save attachments to the iphone, and add file attachments to outgoing mail.
    - An encryped database to store userids and passwords
    - Stopwatch / Timer program, with multiple alerts
    - The functionality of Directory Assistant
    - Docs to Go (or equivilent functionality)
    - Backup to memory card (oops, it doesn't have a memory card, does it?)
    - An installation monitor / uninstall program
    - Something like keycaps, so I don't need to worry about shift keys
    - Something like Butler's Attention grabber, that will keep reminding me if I missed a call or have a new voicemail (not sure if the iphone does this now)
    - Profiles (not sure if the iphone already has this)
    - A key macro facility, like Shortcut5 (enter . followed by a character, and Shortcut 5 expands the character into a full test string--extremelyl useful for frequently entered data)
    - More flexibility with Ringtones
    - Games
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Yes, with a price earnings ratio close to 50, I'm sure there is no irrational exuberance there at all. Not even a little bit. Just like RIMM. Solid investment.

Surur
    A solid investment? Are you kidding? If I would have invested in either company 6 months ago, I would have made a fortune. You see Surur, people invest in a company in hopes of the stock price increasing. That is exactly what both company's stock has done.
    A solid investment? Are you kidding? If I would have invested in either company 6 months ago, I would have made a fortune. You see Surur, people invest in a company in hopes of the stock price increasing. That is exactly what both company's stock has done.
    Yes, as long as there is a bigger fool to buy your shares, you are definitely making money...

Unless you end up being the biggest fool of course....

Surur
    Apple's share price has surged because of strong ipod and iphone sales, along with strong Laptop/desktop and OS sales.
    I guess I'd phrase that the other way round. Macs were the real performers last quarter - 34% growth (yoy), contributing 58% of revenue. iPods showed more modest growth (17%).
    Yes, as long as there is a bigger fool to buy your shares, you are definitely making money...

Unless you end up being the biggest fool of course....

Surur

Thats right Surur. Obviously everybody buying Apple shares are fools They are getting filthy rich while you sit on the sidelines ridiculing these people. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Don't quit your day job to become a stockbroker.
    Interesting that since I wrote this RIMM has lost 25% of its market cap... Lots of big fools are crying now.

Surur
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I saw this thread and thought I'd comment on the original question.

Wether or not the iPhone qualifies as smart phone... most people owning one would probably think so. It would be hard not to characterize it as a very refined state of the art device no matter which side you come down on. I don't think its as hardy as my Treo, and it can't yet do the virtually endless list of tasks my phone can do- which easily rival and nearly replace a desktop. But what it does it does pretty well- and it makes use of the screen in very convincing (multi-touch, auto-rotate) ways. Also the capability it there for the same third party aps, or their next generation, to be added to the iPhone.

I like jrinehart's characterization of it currently being a multimedia phone- but with software development capability already present, it can easily be considered a touch smart phone platform. It just has software development obstacles to overcome.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    The definition of smartphone is, and should be,fluid and always changing. It used to be if you had more than 100 or 200 contacts, good PIM functions, the ability to synchronize with a PC and the ability to have a data connection would get you a smartphone ranking. However, with soo many 'low end' handsets now having these capabilities the definition is up for grabs.

Who cares? Find a phone with the features that appeal to you and buy it. Call it want you want. How about Franky the Wonderphone?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12