Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is an official Round Robin Contest Thread

Hi everyone! I love the iPhone but I have some learning to do. I was reading Mike's article on IMAP for Gmail. I watched the video and was attempting to set it up but there is no IMAP option under settings in Gmail. So I don't understand how to set the thing up. Can anyone help?

When typing on the onscreen keyboard, do most of you use two thumbs? I'm not very good at typing on this keyboard yet. Maybe it would help if I cut my fingernails. So far I've been typing with my index finger.

I'm a real big chicken when it comes to hacking. I'm sort of tempted to try the new AppSnap to get instant 3rd party apps on the iPhone since it's supposed to be the simplest way so far. But I'm afraid of bricking my iPhone. I might just wait until February.

Is there some way to change the font or text in Notes? If not, that's okay, but it would be nice to see something different.

Safari is really sweet! Browsing the internet on my Treo 680 doesn't even compare! Blazer can be so annoying. I like the threaded text messaging on both devices but the iPhone's graphics look better. I'm addicted to watching YouTube videos. That is some great, instant entertainment. I really appreciate the tough screen on the iPhone and don't have to worry much about it getting scratched up. I'm careful with it but I don't feel that I have to baby it like my delicate Treo screen.

Thanks!
    For your problem with GMail, log out and then back in to it several times - but this is if your'e talking about the web interface. It's taking them some time to get all users upgraded.

No clue about the iPhone though.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

3.    #3  
    Thanks dreadpiratdoug! I tried that but the settings options didn't change. I did however set up my Gmail on my iPhone using the POP mail option. It's working great! I don't know why I couldn't figure that out before. Duh! Now I can actually send some pics that I've taken via email. Cool!
  4.    #4  
    zelgo, I really love the large screen on the iPhone! It looks way better than the Treo screen. I could get very used to the iPhone screen. Of course I'll be going to the BB 8310 screen for the next round of Round Robin and that screen will be different too.
    my brother & his wife have iphone & treo 680 respectively.
    another sister-in-law has an iphone.

what is mind boggling to me is how much more intuitive the iphone ui is and how both iphone users use every feature of the iphone

using a 755 that doesn't work with gmail--i am so ready to get an iphone after my sprint contract is up!

it's the simple things that palm misses that annoy me! especially after using an ipod touch daily with the safari browser versus blazer!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Does the screen smudge as easy as my Treo? It seems like I am always cleaning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by seadooken View Post
    Does the screen smudge as easy as my Treo? It seems like I am always cleaning it.
    Yes, it does. A screen protector goes a long way here.

But also: if you use the standard brightness settings, the screen is so intensely bright that you won't notice. I only like to charge every 3 days, so I have my brightness set way down at about 1/8 or so.
  8.    #8  
    As Mike said, the screen does smudge easily. I don't have a screen protector on the iPhone but maybe I should if it helps with the smudges because I'm continously wiping my screen.
    I don't have an iPhone but I do play with them every time I go to the local Apple Store. My comment is about typing on the keyboard. On iPhone launch day I was a little disappointed with it and I could certainly see how it would take some getting used to. The most recent experience I had with it however was amazing, I was surfing the web in Safari and typing in full URLs and was able to type everything in, using both thumbs like I type on my Treo 700p, without any mistakes! I hate my Treo more each day, I so want an iPhone.
    I got pretty good using the keyboard on the iPhone after a couple of tries, the intelligent guessing works fairly well. After a week or so of normal texting for me would acclimate me quite well to the keyboard I would think.
    I'd like to see a Sprint-branded iPhone ... one can only imagine it as an EVDO enabled device
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I got pretty good using the keyboard on the iPhone after a couple of tries, the intelligent guessing works fairly well. After a week or so of normal texting for me would acclimate me quite well to the keyboard I would think.
    I wonder how a female with long nails would be able to use the screen keyboard of the iphone. I was just thinking that if my wife or sis in law had one, they would literally break a nail or scuff the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    Thanks dreadpiratdoug! I tried that but the settings options didn't change. I did however set up my Gmail on my iPhone using the POP mail option. It's working great! I don't know why I couldn't figure that out before. Duh! Now I can actually send some pics that I've taken via email. Cool!
    IMAP will probably be working soon on your Gmail, don't forget to check again in your settings!
    Oh yeah, and to the OP about hacking the iPhone.

Just go to jailbreakme.com, and your iPhone is jailbroken OVER THE AIR, with no work required. It's so easy now Apple is sure to update the software soon to counter it now.

It's not like UNLOCKING the phone, that's permanent radio reprogramming. Jailbreaking is much less intensive, and can be undone simply by restoring the phone. I've done it and now have ebooks on my phone, sudoku, and an IM client (apollo). Lovin it until the next update comes out!
    awesome - never heard of jailbreaking untril this thread. Funny - i see that website discussed on Engadget all the time and thought it was a slick way of unlocking the phone. cool
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    I'd like to see a Sprint-branded iPhone ... one can only imagine it as an EVDO enabled device
    If this were the case, I might actually leave the Treo's for one. Sprint EVDO + iphone = more gooder.

I recently fell in love with the iphone while playing with one of my student's phone. It was amazing. At first I hated the keyboard, but realized I could really use it! The other thing I did not like tho... which was a big one, was lack of the copy and paste features. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!
    Only cons i have on the iphone:

Not the speed. Sure, evdo would be sweet, but the pages still render pretty quickly compared to the competition.

Not the battery. It's great i think. And no covers to peel off. (think Centro..ouch). Keeps charge longer for me than Centro.

Lack of third party apps? yes, big con.

No navigator button. Yep, your fingers do the walking and it's fun. For awhile. You then discover in about a month that it starts to get a bit annoying. Constant finger swiping & zooming to navigate. A treo like navigator button at bottom would be great.

Constant wiping of the screen. But not too big a deal considering you can get it back to 100%.

Lack of voice recording/recognition.

And just for being on the go..say in the car. You need a number. On Demand works well for the Centro. Having an on demand type app on the home screen would be great. Google maps can function some what like this or perhaps a web2.0 app but i'd like to be able to do it from home screen quickly.

Speaking of web2.0 apps, lots of them are lame. But how about an icon for it on the home page that scrolls them? Much like the youtube one. With most popular, featured, new ones, favorites, etc buttons at the bottom? Browsing to them is lame. This could help the prior con i listed. This is also one "feature" i think newbies to the iphone could miss out on as it's not well hyped. And yes, i know bookmarks (great system) in safari (awesome btw) could do the same but it requires well..bookmarking.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks Pattycerts! I had it in my mind that jailbreaking was unlocking for some reason. Maybe I should try it since it's not. I'd love to get ebooks and a game or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpiratedoug View Post
    the iPhone needs more than just 3G for me to consider it a replacement device.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    the iPhone needs more than just 3G for me to consider it a replacement device.
    While I agree that there's a lot that needs to be changed on it - having different carriers would be the first step. They want everyone to have one, don't restrict it to AT&Nazi. I seriously dislike Apple's products - but the iPhone itself is a nice product - once they "open" it up, it will be even better. But it is a device that needs integrated GPS - get rid of the Wifi if they come over to Sprint ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast