Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I like the look of the device, not enough yet to go from my Treo750... but the WM6 and the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi make it so much more appealing

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum uses it with AT&T and if so how is the service from an unlocked phone and what are your thoughts about it.
    I'm using the Tilt which is basically the same thing. Before this my primary device was the Treo 750, which I still have. I think the Tilt is a great device, and I'm not missing the Treo too much. The better screen, GPS, more modern look, plethora of hardware buttons = my main device for a while.
    I posted this over in the 750 forum, but here goes again:

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva
    et me preface this by saying that the Treo 750 is probably my favorite smartphone, ever.

Now, I do own both. My previous phones include the Audiovox SMT5600 MS Smartphone, Treo 650, Cingular 8125, 8525, Blackjack, and now 8925.

My Observations between the 750 and 8925:

-One handed useage is still no comparison - Treo 750 wins. However, dialing a contact one handed is easy. I have my top 7 speeddials on my HTChome plugin so I can dial those with ease. If I have to look up a contact, I just hit the green "SEND" key and I use the numberpad on the touchscreen to find and dial. Very easy to do, not as easy compare to the Treo though.

-Bigger screen is better. 8925 wins here. I use Slingbox alot and although it works great on the Treo, the small square screen isn't good for watching videos as everything is just so small. On the 8925, the 4:3 ratio screen and larger area really makes a big difference. Also, the screen on the 8925 is just better. MUCH brighter, better colors, better contrast.

-Earpiece volume: 8925 wins. Why? It's louder. Same as the speakerphone. On my Treo 750 I found it hard to hear some people.

-GPS and wifi: I don't use wifi much but GPS is great. I travel for business a lot and so it's obvious why I like having GPS.

-Hardware buttons: obviously the 8925 wins. I have 4 hardware buttons (not including the OK, Start, Send/End keys) that I can map. With AEButton Plus, I can launch 10 programs with ease. I actually have it set up so I can do almost 15 different commands with the hard buttons, compared to the 5 or so I can do with the Treo using the same program.

-Keyboard: although the Treo's keyboard is smaller, I prefer it. Why? I think tactile feedback is better, and it's also ALWAYS there. Hitting start then 'E' allows me to quickly launch Windows Media Player. Shortcuts are all over the place using the keyboard, and the Treo's form factor can't be beat.

-Battery life: about the same, I can't tell a difference.

-Camera: both aren't very good, but the 8925 has a 3mp camera and when you shrink down the images to 800x600 or so, they look decent. Good enough for email.

-Stability: now I can't say this for certain as I've been tinkering a lot with my Tilt, but I say the WM6 Treo 750 wins here. There's an issue with PIE on all Kaisers, I think it's because HTC hasn't really made the OS and processor work seamlessly together, but sometimes on large webpages it slows the device down. I found out that the Task Manager that comes with the Tilt was causing a lotof problems so I disabled that. But overall, the Treo 750 does seem more stable.

-Tweaks: Hands down, the Palm Treo 750 wins here. Palm's "Special Sauce" really is evident here in ways that would take too long to describe. But I will say that Palm has taken time to marry the software to the hardware so everything just works better. The 750 is almost optimal. HTC should take some time to do this, and I don't mean adding features, I just mean optimizing the software so it works almost perfectly with the superior hardware.

-Speed: about the same on the two, although processor intensive apps like slingbox really show that the Tilt's more powerful processor works better. However, in a lot of cases, the Treo 750 is faster, particularly when navigating through the device. However note that this also has a lot to do with the always-there keyboard on the 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuckyD View Post
    I like the look of the device, not enough yet to go from my Treo750... but the WM6 and the GPS, Bluetooth, and WiFi make it so much more appealing

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum uses it with AT&T and if so how is the service from an unlocked phone and what are your thoughts about it.
    I've been using an unlocked TyTN on AT&T for a long time now with absolutely no problems. Love it. I'd get the II if I could come up with one shortcoming of the TyTN.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I posted this over in the 750 forum, but here goes again:
    Sounds like the exact same things that everyone said (myself included) with the 8525/750 comparisons a year or 2 ago. Without the GPS of course.

I am very disappointed w/that PIE problem you're talking about. This is like their 50th device, they doubled the RAM, and this still happens? Even on 3G?
    If you are having the slow scrolling problem with pocket ie, there is a cab which fixes that.

Surur