Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Facer is pretty good as a launcher.

The Win XP ZLauncher theme is pretty cool too...
    My 2 cents...

- Launcher
    I know it's been said, but I have to reinforce it. LauncherX. It's just enough without being too much. I've used it for years.

- email
    Versamail isn't bad, Chatter is MUCH better, even does Outlook Web Access, which I have not found ANY other app that can do. For some reason though, it made my Treo 650 unstable. Random crashes that didn't link back to Chatter at all in the Crash log. Maybe it's just my old (but still trusty) 650...

- Alarms.
    Watchmaker. multiple alarms, very configurable but still very manageable (a rare combination), looks good. FREE
    Last edited by Rstyle; 10/31/2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    I think he got it wrong when it comes to the bluetooth performance.

I have a HTC Dash and a 680 and the 680 performs outstandingly with bluetooth headsets! The second I turn on my BT ear piece, my Treo picks up the connection and im off on a call in seconds! no button presses, ever. I wouldn't be using BT if it was any harder... bye, bye cable earpiece!

Mundu can do IMing in the background, so can Chatter do push-email in the background.

He mentioned media, the Palm OS is by far praised for media! the latest picture and video viewer on the 680 is outstanding for albums, my friends flip through it... a tad too easy I might add *nudge *nudge lol Also, pTunes comes bundled with every 680, and all you need to do is sync it with Windows Media Player, Yahoo whatever, or pull MP3's onto an SD card!

I use pTunes when walking with my bluetooth stereo headphones since it plays in the background. but ill use Kinoma *SOOO WORTH IT!* for video streaming and internet radio, not to mention flash files! Id like to see anything on Windows Mobile compete with pTunes and Kinoma! Oh, and TCPMP is a free all-codec video player for the Palm OS, so video and music is covered out of the box, in an excelent matter... where's the problem now???

QUICKIPEDIA
    DA
    DUE YESTERDAY
    DIDDLEBUG
    FREE CHECKING

Oh, and Windows Mobile sucks when it comes to Documents like Word, its too complicated and always messes up my formatting! DocsToGo 10 for Palm OS is outstanding and lightning fast...

I like how he praises the Palm OS for its simplicity and genious, but I do not think he is properly informed when bashing it. I do not want WIFI in my Treo, no need. This is a one-touch PDA smartphone, not a damn laptop!

My working combo: Treo- iBook- Desktop Mac
    Lets face it, even those who try to replace a laptop with a WM Device, just end up with laptops again also. Unless you are the 1% population that can go WM device, desktop computer... Palm OS is the best route, because your gonna end up with a laptop, or no laptop either way.

Sorry... late work + 2 sodas + some Vista issues + a Treo review = ranttttt :P
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I recommend you try the following applications:
    - Butler
    - Phone Technician
    - UltimatePhone
    - LauncherX
    - TreoWeather

I'd stay away from the IM apps though as they have a tendency to crash your phone often!

As far as bluetooth, I've had very good experience with my 700p and the Mot. H700C headset!

Like the article - was very well done I though!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post

I have a HTC Dash and a 680 and the 680 performs outstandingly with bluetooth headsets! The second I turn on my BT ear piece, my Treo picks up the connection and im off on a call in seconds! no button presses, ever. I wouldn't be using BT if it was any harder... bye, bye cable earpiece!

Mundu can do IMing in the background, so can Chatter do push-email in the background.

He mentioned media, the Palm OS is by far praised for media! the latest picture and video viewer on the 680 is outstanding for albums, my friends flip through it... a tad too easy I might add *nudge *nudge lol Also, pTunes comes bundled with every 680, and all you need to do is sync it with Windows Media Player, Yahoo whatever, or pull MP3's onto an SD card!

I use pTunes when walking with my bluetooth stereo headphones since it plays in the background. but ill use Kinoma *SOOO WORTH IT!* for video streaming and internet radio, not to mention flash files! Id like to see anything on Windows Mobile compete with pTunes and Kinoma! Oh, and TCPMP is a free all-codec video player for the Palm OS, so video and music is covered out of the box, in an excelent matter... where's the problem now???

QUICKIPEDIA
    DA
    DUE YESTERDAY
    DIDDLEBUG
    FREE CHECKING

Oh, and Windows Mobile sucks when it comes to Documents like Word, its too complicated and always messes up my formatting! DocsToGo 10 for Palm OS is outstanding and lightning fast...

I like how he praises the Palm OS for its simplicity and genious, but I do not think he is properly informed when bashing it. I do not want WIFI in my Treo, no need. This is a one-touch PDA smartphone, not a damn laptop!

Lets face it, even those who try to replace a laptop with a WM Device, just end up with laptops again also. Unless you are the 1% population that can go WM device, desktop computer... Palm OS is the best route, because your gonna end up with a laptop, or no laptop either way.

I like these excuses that Palm fans always make. It's not multitasking when only certain items can do things in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I like these excuses that Palm fans always make. It's not multitasking when only certain items can do things in the background.
    Well what else would you like to multi task? Honestly moving from a MDA to a 755p I don't see what I was missing. I can do music in the background, email, IM, copy and paste, and I don't have to use my entire college education just to learn how to use the damn thing.

Chatter is an amazing program, and with gMail now having the IMAP functionality it's making Chatter look even better! You can setup a button to switch between mail boxes (menu -> pref -> pref -> Buttons and keys) there you can set some hot keys. They are easy to use in the Treo 755p because I'm using the "hold down App button"" to switch between apps.

I'm still a cheerleader for the Project Gizmo for IM. You have to setup the desktop app to create an account but once that is done you'll have FREE background IM on your Treo. It's a beautiful thing.

Good luck!

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post

Asi Asi. The dash doesn't have great bluetooth performance, but I've had much better luck with other HTC devices. The thing that always kills me is a RAZR gets MUCH better bt performance.

Heh. No need to apologize. I'd like to think I'm pretty well informed, having owned a Treo 180, 270, 300, 600, 650, and then every windows mobile treo, plus having used the 680, 700p, 755p, and the Centro. Anyhow, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a genius when it comes to how memory management works.

As to the 1%, I actually am in agreement. Windows Mobile is NOT as good for the entry-level user, but it's passable. What I think is that PalmOS can't compete at all these days for that 1% (well, I'd like to think it's more like 5%).
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Well what else would you like to multi task? Honestly moving from a MDA to a 755p I don't see what I was missing. I can do music in the background, email, IM, copy and paste, and I don't have to use my entire college education just to learn how to use the damn thing.

Chatter is an amazing program, and with gMail now having the IMAP functionality it's making Chatter look even better! You can setup a button to switch between mail boxes (menu -> pref -> pref -> Buttons and keys) there you can set some hot keys. They are easy to use in the Treo 755p because I'm using the "hold down App button"" to switch between apps.

I'm still a cheerleader for the Project Gizmo for IM. You have to setup the desktop app to create an account but once that is done you'll have FREE background IM on your Treo. It's a beautiful thing.

Good luck!

Timmay
    In general, multitasking isn't what YOU want to multitask, it's just a capability of a device. Either it can do it natively or it can't. Downloading something in your browser while listening to music while having GPS open in the background while replying to an email. Sounds ridiculous but I've done it before (not while driving). That's just an example, I have more but there's no need to get into it.
    Patrick is right on here - don't be afraid of ZLauncher. The total customization options make it very powerful. It is overwhelming at first - and way too cluttered out of the box - but there's pretty much no way I'd stay with Palm if it weren't for this app. I've got mine set up very iPhone-esque in function (i.e. rarely use the stylus) and with the full keyboard, 5-way nav, and a thumb the one-handed productivity is awesome.

Now, if they could just get the 320x480 screen to fit on a Treo and retain the keyboard ....

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Launcher:

ZLauncher -- PAY THE PRICE -- One day you will thank us the way the soldier who first encounters action thanks his drill sergeant.

Today Screen:

Another vote for the excellent 2Day application from a very responsive developer, Shimon, http://www.shsh.com
    ZLauncher is a very ... scary ... application for people who just get started. Honestly, I was extremely overwhelmed, and uninstalled it quickly - especially after finding that there are some skins you have to pay for. My whole philosphy with the POS is that while it is as customizable as WM, it's not as much of a headache and less prone to breaking if you don't really try to break it.
    ASUS A8Jp XBOX360 Elite NDS Lite & R4DS Kodak Z712 IS Creative ZEN 8GB Palm Centro

Current MP Games: Team Fortress 2 (PC), Halo 3 (360)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post

Chatter is an amazing program, and with gMail now having the IMAP functionality it's making Chatter look even better! You can setup a button to switch between mail boxes (menu -> pref -> pref -> Buttons and keys) there you can set some hot keys...

Timmay
    It was driving me nuts having to tap on the screen to switch between mailboxes (there's no 5-way support for this). Thanks for the tip!
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    The only time I wish I have true multitasking on my 700p is when I am making a post in the forum and I get a call come in.

Boom I lost my post. Otherwise POS's "fake multitasking" is servicable.
    > reset
    Shudder. I'm coming from the other direction, I was using a Kyocera til it broke, got a $30 Treo 650 because the phone company, or whoever, insists they need the phone to report where I am all the time via GPS. Feh.

Never had a Palm OS 5 before. I'm hoping I can cope after having used the old Kyocera and a Clie SJ30 (OS 4.1).

Can I ask some stupid Treo 650 questions here?
    OR, happy to have a pointer to any place to look for questions like:
    -- is there a way to attach a lanyard?
    -- how do I turn the thing OFF? It keeps blinking its little green lighteven when I've gotten the phone off and the screen dark.
    -- can I keep the phone off and still use the PDA?
    -- i screen brightness slider FOUND thanks to the 'cool things' 650 thread
    -- what replaces the standard Palm "Pen" button option setting (dragging the pen from the writing area to the top of the screen), which is where I always set screen brightness in any app that needed it
    -- ohmighd, is there any way to get the original Graffiti back?
    -- is the "wedge" end of the stylus meant for pushing the ittybittybuttons?
    -- when I press one number button all those around it flex, is this typical or something missing behind the keypad that should hold it up?
    -- shift-i gives a capital I not the @ symbol that's on the keyboard. Where's the @ at?
    -- compact flash cards, are faster ones any faster, or is it limited by the hardware? (I use 80x in my fairly old digital camera, much faster saves than standard speed cards)

And am I right that the less I add in the way of applications the less unstable this will be? Or is it just that way no matter what?
    Last edited by ankh; 07/05/2008 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ankh View Post
    > reset
    Shudder. I'm coming from the other direction, I was using a Kyocera til it broke, got a $30 Treo 650 because the phone company, or whoever, insists they need the phone to report where I am all the time via GPS. Feh.

Never had a Palm OS 5 before. I'm hoping I can cope after having used the old Kyocera and a Clie SJ30 (OS 4.1).

Can I ask some stupid Treo 650 questions here?
    OR, happy to have a pointer to any place to look for questions like:
    -- is there a way to attach a lanyard?
    -- how do I turn the thing OFF? It keeps blinking its little green lighteven when I've gotten the phone off and the screen dark.
    -- can I keep the phone off and still use the PDA?
    -- i screen brightness slider FOUND thanks to the 'cool things' 650 thread
    -- what replaces the standard Palm "Pen" button option setting (dragging the pen from the writing area to the top of the screen), which is where I always set screen brightness in any app that needed it
    -- ohmighd, is there any way to get the original Graffiti back?
    -- is the "wedge" end of the stylus meant for pushing the ittybittybuttons?
    -- when I press one number button all those around it flex, is this typical or something missing behind the keypad that should hold it up?
    -- shift-i gives a capital I not the @ symbol that's on the keyboard. Where's the @ at?
    -- compact flash cards, are faster ones any faster, or is it limited by the hardware? (I use 80x in my fairly old digital camera, much faster saves than standard speed cards)

And am I right that the less I add in the way of applications the less unstable this will be? Or is it just that way no matter what?
    Lanyard = I don't remember the Treo 650 having a connector for a lanyard. though it could be there...

The Blinking LED = Take a look at a LEDOFF (http://treoware.free.fr/LEDOff.zip)

Keep phone off = Hold down the Red Button and that'll turn off the Phone function leaving you with a PDA

Just Press the button on the lower right (white button) and the letter P at the same time to change the brightness at any time

For Graffiti, check out Graffiti Anywhere (http://graffiti-anywhere.en.softonic.com/palm)

The wedge at the end of the Stylus is just to help you get the stylus out of the silo... but hey, get creative

You don't press the shift button on the keyboard to get a symbol. you use the white button on the lower left next to Z. That'll give you numbers or symbols

Compact Flash? You must mean Secure Digital cards. Faster cards are faster. PQI is a good brand i've used in the past.

And let me leave you with these words of advice, read the manuel. Here's the GSM (T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T, etc) manuel (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...fZwQMNjG9Wo15A) And at least try to search on Google or these forums for the solutions, I found most of these with three or four words in Google.

Oh and don't post in the Treo 680 forum with questions about the Treo 650. They are two different Treo's with different types of software and hardware.

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123