Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    This is an official Round Robin Contest Thread

Hiya all -

So my first week is with the PalmOS on a Treo 680 and I have to say so far I'm doing alright. I am going to ask a few "stupid" questions here so people can answer with chances to win -- i.e. I am kinda sorta breaking the "do a search!" rule -- but I figure these threads will get some attention so it shouldn't hurt too much.

So, as a WM guy using PalmOS as my main device again after a year and half hiatus, I need me some help:

- Chat. Seriously, why is it so hard to find a decent chat client after the demise of VeriChat. What should I use here? What I want is support for AIM and Yahoo, speedy, and able to stay on in the background without destroying my battery. It can use SMS if need be.
    - Launcher. I'm not a fan of this launcher but ZLauncher is WAY more power than I'm interested in.
    - email. I'm trying out Chatter (for the first time, can you believe it, I was always a snappermail man myself) and it's a complete freaking mystery to me. Is this featuritis? How to I switch between accounts? Are there keyboard shortcuts for things that I'm just missing?
    - Today Screen. Yes, I miss Window Mobile's today screen. i want one screen with calendar, todo, email, chat alerts, weather. Is there such a thing?
    - Profiles. In the same category of "I never thought I'd say this," I want more than just "vibrate" and "ring" - I want "ring" (with varying levels of volume), "vibrate," and "dead to the world" with no vibrating at all. Possible?
    - Alarms. Seriously. How stupid is it that there isn't a simple, built-in multi-alarm clock here? I'm glad there's World Clock, but one alarm isn't going to cut it for me. I don't wake up at the same time on the weekends.

PalmOS is snappy in ways I completely forgot compared to Windows Mobile. It's almost enough to make me forget it doesn't multitask. I should have my full article about my initial impressions coming back to PalmOS later today.
    Chat- Mundu IM is the main option right now, though Chatworks is in beta and works pretty well so far.

I personally prefer Initiate as a launcher, because it searchs as you type not only through the programs, but through phone numbers, bookmarks, etc. Also, if you enter in a phone number such as 1-800-SPRINT1 it'll convert the letters to the numbers that they should be, which is perfect for a smartphone. It'll also do this search directly from 2day, if you set it that way, which means that you can perfectly duplicate the functionality of WM Treos.

Today screen- 2day is definitely the best, though it has a ton of options.

For email, I use Chatter for push email, haven't ever had a problem with the options personally.

For alarms I used to use mobileClock which worked great on my Treo 700p and 600, but on my 755p I now use PalmaryClock since mobileClock wasn't reliable for me on it.
    [b]
    - Today Screen. Yes, I miss Window Mobile's today screen. i want one screen with calendar, todo, email, chat alerts, weather. Is there such a thing?
    I just recently upgraded to a Treo 680 from a 650, and luckily one feature I liked is still there. In the calendar program you can setup something similar to a Today screen.

In the calendar view click on the menu key. Under the menu choose "Display Options". Change the default view to "Agenda". Click on the Agenda box, and then click on the check boxes for what you would like shown on the agenda page. Be default calendar events are included, but you can add Tasks and Messages. You can also set a background picture just for fun. So now you can push the calendar key and get a quick view of important items.

Unfortunately there is no chat alerts or weather, you'd have to install something for that. So not a perfect solution, but close (and free).
    Check out Shape Services IM+. I found it good for occasional use. Not sure what it does to battery life though.
    I would use Mundu for IM and you can use agendus for your today screen. I would put agendus on par with programs like Pocket Informant on WM.

Good luck on the 680.
    Today screen-- I use 2day by ShSh. It does everything I need. It monitors Versamail, shows my appointments for the day, tasks, and with the 4cast plugin -- weather. It even has a launcher for about 5 apps.

Email--Versamail with the EAS update gives push email. Plus yahoo, sbcglobal, and gmail. Separate inbox for each(unlike bb) and cycling with the push of the email button.

Alarms--2 day has a menu option of a reminder or Treo Memo can have separate alarms for weekends and weekdays which can be an MP3 or a regular alert.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Profiles. Freeware.

Today screen and Launcher. PocketCraft offers the Today app and a relatively functional but not overload launcher app in Facer. Check them both at PocketCraft.

Alarms. There are many different clock apps that provide multiple alarms and alarm sounds.

If you want freeware, you can use the freeware Watchmaker which is great in my view and supports 6 different alarms with various times or repeating times. I actually have 4 different instances of the same program installed, with each either supporting the monophonic midi alarms that GeekSounds and Emerald Sounds offer, or use the Treo polyphonic midi sounds. There's also a beta WM+ which also support mp3s.

If you have Datebk5/6, you can set different alarm sounds in your appointments in the Calendar.

You can also read my post on alarms here for more apps suggestions and links.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    RoninKSB,

Tried your yahoo IM solution but only received a news update in return from my sms. Seems I am missing something. More details if possible would be appreciated.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    RoninKSB,

Tried your yahoo IM solution but only received a news update in return from my sms. Seems I am missing something. More details if possible would be appreciated.
    Sorry,

for Yahoo IM, I left out an important detail. The SMS message to sign in should take this form: in [your Yahoo! ID] [password] on your mobile phone and send it to 92466 (This spells YAHOO on the phone pad numbers.)

The detail missing from the original post is the word "in" followed by a space then your Yahoo ID and password. The "in" is not necessary for AIM.

BTW, you should be aware that both services automatically sign you out after a period of inactivity. My experience has been that this period is considerably longer for Yahoo then AIM.

Hope it works this time.

Here is a link to the Yahoo instruction page http://wataniya.yahoo.com/smsmgr_signin.html

Also if you would like I can post the complete instructions for each. I carry the instructions on my Treo in a memopad entry.
    Regards, RoninKSB
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by LFD153 View Post
    What alarms were you using on WM? I only have one alarm option in settings on WM. Perhaps its the difference in the Smartphone edition???
    On WM you can set up to three alarms, customized by time, alert tone, and which days of the week you want. out of the box.
  10.    #30  
    Excellent suggestions all so far, keep 'em coming. I'm grinding away at my initial impressions article now, will let you know when it goes up.
    launcher? Check out Aardquick for something completely different. I have 4 apps assigned to each of the 1st three hot keys, and could have more. Easy access to my 12 most used apps without having to switch to a separate app first: just press the desired hard key 1,2,3, or 4 times quickly to select the desired app.

For a more traditional launcher, check out launcher X. similar in look and feel to zlauncher, but much simpler.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    One built-in feature on the newer Palms that I find lots of users overlook, if you press and hold the home button a popup list of the last 8 apps used will appear and you can jump directly to any of them. If you continue to hold the home button after the list has appeared you will jump back to the last/most recently used app.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    On WM you can set up to three alarms, customized by time, alert tone, and which days of the week you want. out of the box.
    IMO Treo alarm would be the best for you. You can do all of that up to 8 plus set the volume, duration, interlude, and repeat times

http://treoalarm.com/home/index
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    CHAT!
    they all stink when compared to Verichat. really.

Alarms - it's funny how often we see that request in the forums, yet it seems o simple to answer- just use the calendar. set as many alarms as you want. repeat them daily, weekly, etc.

Or are we Palm OS people missing something ??
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    If you don't mind spending Money, Mundu is probably the best choice for an IM client. Gizmo is ok. Free is awesome, but it doesn't show user status properly on my 680, and it sets my MSN screen name to my Gizmo name, which is damn annoying. Not sure if this can be changed?

Calender alarms don't work very well for brief countdowns (e.g. 10 minutes, 30 minutes, etc) as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by ipsi; 10/30/2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: rephrasing
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    CHAT!
    they all stink when compared to Verichat. really.

Alarms - it's funny how often we see that request in the forums, yet it seems o simple to answer- just use the calendar. set as many alarms as you want. repeat them daily, weekly, etc.

Or are we Palm OS people missing something ??
    I was always really fond of mobileCLOCK. I think I mentioned in yesterday's treocast that Invisible was the best $5 I ever spent on a Palm OS app... mobileCLOCK was probably the best $10.

Calendar alarms... if you don't wake up at the same time every day, or need to get up early on a certain day, etc., it's a lot nicer to turn off the alarm in prefs than it is to deal with calendar.

Addition of timers and stopwatches for cooking and naps is a big bonus too.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Interestingly, I have found mobileClock to be somewhat unstable on my 680 (it was rock solid on my 650). Also, the last time I checked it seemed like it was no longer underdevelopment.

Try aClock at www.a0soft.com ($8 for the bundle which includes every feature you could ever want in a clock without the overhead of PalmaryClock) or Butler.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Launcher:

ZLauncher -- PAY THE PRICE -- One day you will thank us the way the soldier who first encounters action thanks his drill sergeant.

Today Screen:

Another vote for the excellent 2Day application from a very responsive developer, Shimon, http://www.shsh.com
    My last Palm OS device was the Treo 650. I used to be pretty well versed with this OS as I had a variety of POS devices, including the great Sony Clie series. I loved those PDAs. Anyways, when I think of the Treo 650 I think of myself 2 years ago sitting in my room doing homework and sending texts and watching my Treo 650 just reset itself out of the blue. Huh. After that I switched to WM for good (I had flip-flopped between the OSes for about 6 years) and thinking of the current Palm OS makes me shiver in fright.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinehart View Post
    That was my biggest complaint about PalmOS, no Mobile Outlook. I feel your pain there. Chatter is an acceptable alternative to Mobile but when you get back on your WM you will wonder how you ever survived a PalmOS phone.

Have a look at this site to spice up your PalmOS: http://www.gx-5.com/index.htm

That should help things out a bit.

This is a great site. I use the treo memo and the blue skin for it. I wanted to like the ultimate phone, but the only thing I wanted was a skin for my dialpad, not all the other stuff. When I installed utimate phone, when I used their dialpad, I couldnt use it to enter tones for voice mail or automated systems, and pushing and holding the number one wouldnt dial voice mail.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast