Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Here's a pretty good overview of the SC2:

http://clie.nxtiak.com

I should be getting mine any day now, so I will post my impressions soon.
    Those screen shots are impressive. I'd never have guessed that 256 colors could look so good. Resolution really can make up for color depth (and vice versa).
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Those screen shots are impressive. I'd never have guessed that 256 colors could look so good. Resolution really can make up for color depth (and vice versa).
    Yeah, that picture of the porsche was unbelievable! Although there was noticable color banding on some of the other pictures...I'll have to see what my photo album looks like on the SC2 (it's hard for me to estimate the number of colors/shades in my pix just by looking at them)
    WOW. Those pictures are impressive!! Are you sure thatthe color is only 256? I am drooling over that screen with the 16 bit 64,000 color screen of the Prism
    Hmm. The author of that site doesn't think much of the pictures judging from the comments that he made about them. I personally think that some of the pictures are very good while some other ones need some help. I don't know how it goign to look in realy life though, so I think that I'm going to hold off final word until I can see it in person.

BEN
    Sony is looking good so far. You gotta love the fact that the alarm sounds can be heard though the headphones.

Hmm I wonder if games will work through headphones as well. (as to you not disterb others on train )And great sounding audio with video clips. That would be so cool.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    nXt claim that you can play MP3's and use other apps at the same time.

OH yeah....
    A question for existing CLIE 300 owners:

Can you mouht the memory stick as a drive on yout PC if the CLIE is in the cradle? The 710 allows this.
    Originally posted by dshorter
    A question for existing CLIE 300 owners:

Can you mouht the memory stick as a drive on yout PC if the CLIE is in the cradle? The 710 allows this.
    To my knowledge yes.

BTW: Wow the Clie N710c is already on Cnet's to 5 Handhelds at a rank of #4 the Visor Deluxe is #3.

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...0.html?tag=dir

I am just salivating for this new Clie.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

To my knowledge yes.

BTW: Wow the Clie N710c is already on Cnet's to 5 Handhelds at a rank of #4 the Visor Deluxe is #3.

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...0.html?tag=dir

I am just salivating for this new Clie.
    I'll knife-fight you for the first one off the boat!
    The screen Indoors:
    The Prism looks much better. The screenshots of the Clie710C look good, but in person, the colors are a bit muted - everything has a slight blue-grey overcast to it with the backlight on. Without the backlight, it's kind of dark, and the background is kind of golden. Not bad at all, but not impressive enough for me to give up my Prism.

The screen Outdoors:
    (I stood outside at work over 80 degrees - BRIGHT sunlight.) OH MY GOD!!! This thing kicks major ****!!! Beautiful, just beautiful! (I played Bejeweled on it, until I got too hot and went back inside.)

I don't usually try to use my Prism outside, but I must say, I was impressed. (Too bad Memory Sticks don't work the same as Handspring's Flash Modules - that's the most important thing for me.)

Oh yeah, the Prism's alarm is louder than the Clie710C's.
    Originally posted by narnia_77
    The screen Indoors:
    The Prism looks much better. The screenshots of the Clie710C look good, but in person, the colors are a bit muted - everything has a slight blue-grey overcast to it with the backlight on. Without the backlight, it's kind of dark, and the background is kind of golden. Not bad at all, but not impressive enough for me to give up my Prism.

The screen Outdoors:
    (I stood outside at work over 80 degrees - BRIGHT sunlight.) OH MY GOD!!! This thing kicks major ****!!! Beautiful, just beautiful! (I played Bejeweled on it, until I got too hot and went back inside.)

I don't usually try to use my Prism outside, but I must say, I was impressed. (Too bad Memory Sticks don't work the same as Handspring's Flash Modules - that's the most important thing for me.)

Oh yeah, the Prism's alarm is louder than the Clie710C's.
    narnia_77,

I am on the fence between the prism and clie. The higher clie resolution tips the scale for me, although I will miss that beautiful active matrix display indoors.
    The question I have is, which screen is better? The Clie N710c or the Palm M505. I had bought a 505 a gave it right back a few days later becuse the screen had poor contrast. Very muddy, and i mean very.
    -Mikedemo
    The question I have is, which screen is better? The Clie N710c or the Palm M505. I had bought a 505 a gave it right back a few days later becuse the screen had poor contrast. Very muddy, and i mean very.
    From all the reports that I've read it's fairly apparent that the Clie's screen is decisively better than the m505.

Here's a picture where the sidelight of the Clie and m505 looked equivalent: iPAQ and Clie at 25% and the m505 with sidelight on.

Here's a picture of the iPAQ and Clie at 50% brightness, and m505 with backlight on, the picture is kinda blurry.

Even at 50% brightness, the Clie is brighter than the m505.

Here's another picture: iPAQ and Clie at 100% and m505 with sidelight on.

Here's another picture of the size comparison:

Here's a prolife with m505 on top, Clie in the middle, and a Prism on the bottom.
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 05/30/2001 at 02:26 AM.
    Fat's
    Wow.
    It appears that 710's screen is the same size as the 505's. The clie 300 had a smaller than normal screen. Another plus for the 710
    Sony is gonna kick **** with that 710. It looks like it beats the M505 all around.
    -Mikedemo
    Sony is gonna kick **** with that 710. It looks like it beats the M505 all around.
    I didn't realize how thin the sony is! Not as wide as the 505 either, but taller... Scren is so much better if only because they let you adjust the brightness...

If Sony has enough of these to ship, they are going to whale on the M505!
    I am very tempted to upgrade to the Clie. Just the fact that is viewable outdoors is a major plus, not to mention the better resolution.

Two things keep me from jumping ship:

1. My Stowaway (I am sure that Targus will make a compatible Stowaway in the future)

2. My MemPlug. Sony can say all they want about the Memory Stick, they will not convince me to switch. I love my MemPlug and Portable Innovation has the best support I have seen (actually they are in a tie with BlueNomad).

As much as I would LIKE to have all the new handhelds, it is tough to compete with the Prism, Stowaway, Memplug combo.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    OK, checking this out. According to some testing by new Clie owners, the Clie battery life is much better than reported. The Sony site reported a 3 hour battery life while playing MP3 and having the Clie on with the brightness set at 100%.

However, the main power comsumption is apparently the sidelight, not the MP3 player. alocke ran the Clie with continous MP3 playback and brightness at minumum, the result was a whopping 10 hours!!

Here are alocke's parameters:

The settings for this test were as follows:
    -BatteryBenchmark set to "Normal" mode
    -Sidelight ON and set to Minimum (slider all the way to the left)
    -MP3 playing in AudioPlayer continuously with volume slider set to middle

http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showt...threadid=17827

Here's a picture of the Clie and iPAQ at minimum brightness compare with the m505 with sidelight off.

Fat's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast