Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    someone showed me their Treo 650 the other day and i almost laughed.

the Touch looks good, can't speak for the small onscreen keyboard though.

does the battery take you through the day (under heavy biz usages)?

great design for certain.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I've had my touch for over a month and a half now. Just to put things in context, I've had nothing but Treos for the past 4 years (starting with the 300 up to the 700wx). I love the Touch and haven't looked back once. The keyboard was really my only major concern, and since using Touchpal I'm typing just as fast as I did with an onscreen keyboard. Plus this is really the first smartphone I've had that I can truly carry in my pocket. One other thing to note is I never have to use the stylus to do anything, which is good for me because I never used a stylus when I had a Treo either and that would have been a deal breaker. It really is finger friendly.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    The Touch of great. Once you adjust to a virtual keyboard, and in your case, Windows Mobile, you will be happy.

Day three of being a Touch owner and i'm thrilled.....Windows Mobile has thus far been a pleasant surprise..the virtual keyboard has not been a problem at all...touchpal rocks...phone call quality is excellent....battery life is good so far as well.....the bluetooth is lightyears ahead of palm....I work at a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer and was afraid that the Touch wouldn't pair to any of the demo vehicles i drive.....unlike my Treo 700p,the Touch pairs to every car i've tried and stays paired.....no problems with my Jawbone headset ......true html email.....no resets......i know its early ....but I'm very impressed
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    raiderfan,

Glad it is working out for you.

Every time I go back to the Treo, I find it to be chunkasaurus rex.
    Right now,,, I'd take any HTC phone over a Treo.
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, yall treo lovers are gonna take that? lol
    i hate idiots... seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    Right now,,, I'd take any HTC phone over a Treo.
    Really...I should take my HTC 6700 and throw it your way, literally...lol

HTC phones are okay, but are to rushed IMO. Their firmware is late (hence why you have no GPS, ahem), they screwed the memory and BT on the Mogul and the Touch still has some alarm/notification issues (some users, not all).

Besides the Touch, they have never really put any thought into marrying the OS to hardware.

My prediction: Treo 800 ownz all.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Really...I should take my HTC 6700 and throw it your way, literally...lol

HTC phones are okay, but are to rushed IMO. Their firmware is late (hence why you have no GPS, ahem), they screwed the memory and BT on the Mogul and the Touch still has some alarm/notification issues (some users, not all).

Besides the Touch, they have never really put any thought into marrying the OS to hardware.

My prediction: Treo 800 ownz all.

The obvious advantage HTC has is the fact their phones can be found all over the planet. Any particular model may have as many as 4 different names. This allows any "hacker" to borrow the best of all forms and create a superb experience. I've yet to see any kind of ROM "cooking" for a Treo. Basically, we're stuck with what the carrier/Palm wants us to have. My HTC Tilt, aka Kaiser, TytnII, 8925 now sports a ROM that includes WM6.0, Mobile Office 2007, .NET 3.5 as well as REAL GPS, Wifi, BT 2.0 that actually works, and Touchflo.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my experience with my 700w. When it was time to retire it, I thought the 700wx would be a better phone. For me, that wasn't the case. Anyone on a CDMA carrier is limited to their phone choices anyway since GSM is the standard in nearly the rest of the world. The Treo has a nice form factor, but Palm's agonizingly slow development pushed me to the limit, not to mention Verizon's nazi-like stinginess. I couldn't wait the necessary length of time for a new model to appear, so I opted to go with what I feel is the best there is at the moment.

As far as the 800 goes, we'll all have to wait and see if it becomes reality. The Treo used to be the benchmark for all others to follow. Not anymore. Trying to catch up is harder than staying out in front.
    Last edited by Deltaflyer; 12/14/2007 at 01:52 PM.
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, did you hear that malatesta? he said yo mamma lol, go easy on him now... (grabbing popcorn)
    Quote Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, did you hear that malatesta? he said yo mamma lol, go easy on him now... (grabbing popcorn)
    lol....naaaa, he actually makes some valid points, although I would suggest that ROM cooking is a pretty niche industry--a fun one (I have WM6 on my bricky 6700 after all ) but still something that is limited to a small group--so it's hard to judge a device on that aspect.

For some it's quite important, but for others not so.

Palm is clearly at the low point and just starting to rebound, but we won't see much of that for months and months.

We'll see what the 800 brings, but Rubenstein has already effected the Centro's design, even at the last minute forcing them to re-think some design features. That makes me happy as it implies the 800w will get even more Rubenstein treatment which at this point can only be good.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    someone showed me their Treo 650 the other day and i almost laughed.

the Touch looks good, can't speak for the small onscreen keyboard though.

does the battery take you through the day (under heavy biz usages)?

great design for certain.
    I've used BBerry, Treo's, and now Touch.

Without a doubt, the Touch is superior for my needs. The onscreen keyboard isn't small. You can use TouchPal, PocketCM Keyboard, SPB FullScreen Keyboard to name a few. I use TouchPal. The keybaord keys are bigger than keys on a BBerry or Treo - and I can smoke any of my peers at work on typing with an exposed QWERTY in: speed, accuracy, and other features (copy / paste, web address, etc.). Sounds boastful. I'm not trying to be. I just somehow have gotten the nack for hammering out emails using TouchPal:

Concerning the battery - mine lasts all day and into the evening with heavy usage. But, I bought the extended battery (wich gives 30% more power and doesn't extend the battery door). I am a heavy email user (MS ActiveSync running all day). I also use GPS with BT (for now until RevA and GPS Hack). I'm on the phone allot (I have a 2,500 minute plan).

So, I think for my needs it is the best choice currently available.
    The Touch is the schiz. I can't wait for Rev. A
    im tellin yall, the touch is doin big thangs.. the only reason someone would ever down a touch is because they havent had the opportunity to use it for a while, EVERY single person that owns a touch that has previously owned a treo or any other device keeps saying that the touch has the others beat hands down
    im tellin yall, the touch is doin big thangs.. the only reason someone would ever down a touch is because they havent had the opportunity to use it for a while, EVERY single person that owns a touch that has previously owned a treo or any other device keeps saying that the touch has the others beat hands down
    Which is the way it should be anytime you are comparing a brand new WM device (Touch) to a device nearly 2 years old (Treo 700), no? It would be actually quite sad and pathetic if the reverse was true in this situation.

So I suggest we wait till a newer contender arrives, like maybe the 800w (ahem) before we start claiming who's the best

Or rather, do you think people will who own and use a Kaiser (you did say "any other device") would be as boisterous about a Touch?

Which is the way it should be anytime you are comparing a brand new WM device (Touch) to a device nearly 2 years old (Treo 700), no? It would be actually quite sad and pathetic if the reverse was true in this situation.

So I suggest we wait till a newer contender arrives, like maybe the 800w (ahem) before we start claiming who's the best

Or rather, do you think people will who own and use a Kaiser (you did say "any other device") would be as boisterous about a Touch?
    With a Touchflo ROM, my Tilt can do all the Touch can do and it still has a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinson View Post
    I've had my touch for over a month and a half now. Just to put things in context, I've had nothing but Treos for the past 4 years (starting with the 300 up to the 700wx). I love the Touch and haven't looked back once. The keyboard was really my only major concern, and since using Touchpal I'm typing just as fast as I did with an onscreen keyboard. Plus this is really the first smartphone I've had that I can truly carry in my pocket. One other thing to note is I never have to use the stylus to do anything, which is good for me because I never used a stylus when I had a Treo either and that would have been a deal breaker. It really is finger friendly.
    ok, im about to jus give up, haha.. i spend about 30 minutes trying to get this touchpal to install on my touch and the mess installed fine, and it even pops up on my list of different keyboards... now when i select it, it brings me back to the default little keyboard.. i went through all these diff possible steps an stuff like doin the "sipchange" and whatnot but it still isnt working.. jus how did you get it to work on your touch.. give me step by step details on what you did.. thanks!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ok, im about to jus give up, haha.. i spend about 30 minutes trying to get this touchpal to install on my touch and the mess installed fine, and it even pops up on my list of different keyboards... now when i select it, it brings me back to the default little keyboard.. i went through all these diff possible steps an stuff like doin the "sipchange" and whatnot but it still isnt working.. jus how did you get it to work on your touch.. give me step by step details on what you did.. thanks!
    For me it was simple. Download, install and use it. Maybe you have another SIP installed?

Anwyay, you can try this method:
    Download cab.
    Install the cab to main memory.
    Reset your device.
    Select Start, Settings, Input, and choose Input Method> TouchPal
    Select OK

Go to Word, SMS, Email, etc. and bring up your keyboard.

It should be the one in use now. You can select arrow beside the keyboard at the bottom to change them too.
    ah, c'mon now Mal....lets face it, the Treo line is far from the best and perhaps becoming one of the worst, comparatively.

regardless, happy holidays.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer View Post
    With a Touchflo ROM, my Tilt can do all the Touch can do and it still has a keyboard.
    Which is a great point: every aspect of the Touch can be either emulated or instantiated with the 3rd party apps (freeware/payware) which often improve and expand the Touch's UI, or as you mention just use TouchFLO directly.

I've done both with various devices and while they work very well, the whole "touch UI" thing is user preference, with mine leaning towards the traditional hardbutton/KB layout. But that's the nice thing here, especially with Sprint's lineup: Mogul for slider/PPC device, Touch for the touch experience, Q9c for a slick smartphone and Treos for front KB, touchscreen. There's an option there for everyone.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234