Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I really like my 755. But, I have to admit, that I am eagerly awaiting Touch arrival at my local Sprint store. I'm very intersted in a test drive and trying to determine if the TouchPal keyboard would work for me (the way I believe it will for my use).

Had Sprint not nerfed the GPS in the Touch, it would be a slam dunk decision for me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I'll have to try one of those on-screen keyboards since everyone is clamoring about them.

It's going to be difficult to not have a new Treo at the end of the year - again.
    I've had the touchpal on my mogul and I'm loving this program. I rarely ever use the slide out keyboard anymore. I believe the Sprint Touch has a similar program. I would jump to the touch if I already didnt have my mogul.
    I'll go into the store and I'll fiddle around with it. My main concern is that the touch screen/no keyboard scenario will make retrieving data and entering data a more convoluted process. If I find during my initial impressions that this is not the case, I will purchase.
    Blackberry 7520 (Nextel)> Palm 700p (Sprint)> Burgundy Palm 755p (Sprint w/sero)> HTC Touch (Sprint w/sero) Apps include: Touchpal, HTC Home Customizer, TCMCP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize View Post
    I really like my 755. But, I have to admit, that I am eagerly awaiting Touch arrival at my local Sprint store. I'm very intersted in a test drive and trying to determine if the TouchPal keyboard would work for me (the way I believe it will for my use).

Had Sprint not nerfed the GPS in the Touch, it would be a slam dunk decision for me though.
    So no internal standalone GPS on the Touch? Might just wait for the 800w then (if and when that ever comes out).

I'll still play with the Touch just to cop a feel anyway.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    The Boy Genius Report has a 1st look at the Sprint Touch...
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...ouch-hands-on/

The big news here: It has Sprint's new IM program installed (!)

This was priviously found only on their handsets and POS devices, but it looks like they FINALLY ported it to WM. So just a matter of time before that .cab comes off for the rest of us WM users on Sprint...

As for the brief review, its seems to get an "eh" from BGR.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It wasn't even a full review. He even says at the end that he does not know half the stuff because navigating is so hard. If he says that, its because he didn't even try to navigate it completely first before doing a review. He just played with it for 5 minutes and decided to say its hard to navigate.
    Oh I'm definitly dropping my freezing,laggy,resetting 755p.Not even a question.But I will say that the lack of a physical keyboard will take getting used to.But I usually adapt pretty quick.It has an awesome form factor,its gonna have a more stable O.S.,and it cost the same price as my 755p.So I'm just gonna go swap mine out on the 4th(Still under 30 day trial) and call it a day.I am stoked about getting my hands on one.It already looks like its gonna stomp a mudhole in this 755p.So yeah,Im jumping ship.And I really did like this Treo at first...such a shame.
  8. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how the Touch would support an app like UltimateSearch plugin from the today screen? Since theres no onscreen keyboard on the today screen (from what Ive seen so far) , I was just wondering how you would type in a search from the today screen.
    I've had Treos for years. First the Treo 300, then 600, and currently 700wx. The Treo is tired and I'm moving on to the Touch. I'm not worried about the lack of a physical keyboard as I don't enter huge amounts of text anyway. I definitely like the form factor and the Touch-Flo interface looks pretty cool to me. I just need to convince Sprint to sell me one for $250 when I'm not out of contract for a couple more months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Prince View Post
    I'll go into the store and I'll fiddle around with it. My main concern is that the touch screen/no keyboard scenario will make retrieving data and entering data a more convoluted process. If I find during my initial impressions that this is not the case, I will purchase.

Well I played around with a Touch demo today and I am no more closer to my decision than I was before. I am not used to WM that is for sure. I don't know if the discouragement I felt navigating the device was because I don't know WM as well as I know the Palm OS or because it was just too confusing.
    Blackberry 7520 (Nextel)> Palm 700p (Sprint)> Burgundy Palm 755p (Sprint w/sero)> HTC Touch (Sprint w/sero) Apps include: Touchpal, HTC Home Customizer, TCMCP
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Prince View Post
    Well I played around with a Touch demo today and I am no more closer to my decision than I was before. I am not used to WM that is for sure. I don't know if the discouragement I felt navigating the device was because I don't know WM as well as I know the Palm OS or because it was just too confusing.
    Do they have the Touch in stores already? I thought the release was Nov. 4. Or do you have access to one through some other channel?

BTW, this reviewer seemed to like the interface.

http://crunchgear.com/2007/10/29/spr...-touch-review/
    Well,my local Sprint store got theres in.And they decided to sell them early.So lucky for me,Im gonna be getting a job there.Because they set one aside for me.But Ive had it for a few hours now,and Im completely and totally satisfied with my decision.I had a 755p that was resetting all the time.And I was still in my 30 day trial period.So I just swapped them out.And Im happy that I did!lol.Im loving everything about it.The touch keyboard is already growing on me.And that was the one thing that was making me have second thoughts about buying it.Im glad that I said screw it!And just picked one up.Because now Im locked to the Touch.And Im totally cool with that!lol.Like I said,Im loving this thing!
    My main conerns on switching to the Touch:

- Speed. The WM5 Treos (700wx, etc) are dog slow. It the Touch is faster, I am there.

- Keybaord. Will the virtual keyboard (or 3rd party ones be good enough?)

I like the fact there is no bezel and the screen is flush.
    Speed-it is an extremely fast smartphone all around.From switching apps to browsing the internet,it's flying!I love the flick scrolling!Though it really takes some getting used to.

Keyboard-Now the keyboard all depends on you.The pre-installed keyboard is awesome!But so is the Touchpal that I downloaded.But there is good on-screen KBs out there.Go to YouTube and pull up some videos on the Touchpal KB.Now I'm not nearly as good as those people!lol.Their retarded fast!But I'm getting there.lol.So it just takes a little practice to get good at.But when you do,I think that I could end up being faster than a physical keyboard!So don't let the keyboard hold you back.It's a badass device.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I have all the Touch interface loaded on my Mogul, I also played with the IPhone interface but I prefer the Kaiser for the Mogul.
    The reviews I have read say it not that much fast or responsive but these are early reviews. Memory is controllable if don’t have to many apps open. Wi-Fi is fun even if its not needed with EVDO. Last the coming update will fix the major issues of the device. So I’m sticking with the mogul cause I can load it with everything even palm apps.
    I ended up getting a Touch. The thing I love the most is the size. I no longer feel like I'm toting a brick. I definitely have to get used to WM6. I've got 30 days. If I can't work with it long term, it's going back.
    Reading all of this really has me ticked at Verizon. Why can't that lousy company grow some balls and give its customers something good to use for once.
    I just got the Touch.

In comparison to the 700wx, there are pros and cons as I have been switching between the two:

- Size. The Touch obviously wins here; it's not just pocketable, it's t-shirt pocketable.

Screen - It's very hard to go back to the 700wx screen once you start using the larger Touch one. Also, the flush screen is much more usable. Flick scroll is great.

-Speed. The Touch is anywhere from 25% to 40% faster, based on my non-scientific tests. Much of this probably depends on the app and how well it is written, but the Touch is quicker.

-Keyboard. I am still trying to wean myself off the physical keyboard. TouchPal works pretty well. For me, with fat thumbs, it's a bit tough. Also, on some screens, not being able to see behind the keyboard is a pain(fortunately, this is not the case in IE). I think I "feel" slower on the virtual keyboard, but when I've run some tests, I'm pretty much even (depending on the use of auto-complete, which is very good on the TouchPal.) But right now, the physical keyboard wins out. I'm curious how I will be in a couple weeks.

- Camera - The Touch camera and app are great. Really good compared to other smartphones.

- Battery life. Pretty decent on the Touch. And it recharges faster than the Treo, which is nice. I will likely get a spare one, just to be covered (just like on my Treo).

- The little things. The mini-USB all-in-one plug is nice, except when @ want to use a 2.5mm headset. Fortunately, they provide an adapter, but if you want a less bulky one, get a razr one off eBay for $5. Also, the holster they include is nice, along with a usb charging cable. They really did a nice job of giving you all needed accessories out of the box - no nickel and diming.

-Bluetooth is better on the Touch, esp. if your headset is 2.0.

- I wish the Touch stylus was longer. The Treo 700wx stylus actually is better, imho.

- WM6 vs. WM5. I am surprised at some issues in WM6. IE does not reneder some simple web sites properly, but WM5 IE does. Also, the email (pocket outlook) is less configurable than WM5, and actually does not work with one of my key accounts. I may have to send the Touch back if I cannot resolve. There is also a huge Live Search / Phone bug (posted in another thread on WM Experts) that needs to be addressed.

All in all, I like the Touch a lot. If it wasn't for some critical 3rd party apps not being WM6/Touch friendly, I would be putting the Treo on eBay. But until I can resolve those, I have to keep 'em both.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I finally gave up on the MUD-Gul because I spent too much time searching to get things working vs just using the thing. So Now I am a Touchie, very happy so far and it has almost everyting I need. This is a great phone so far. We will see after a few weeks.
    I'd really like to have one of these...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/1...gets-official/
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast