1.    #1  
    You don't have to go far at all before you hear someone whining about the M505's screen. Having evaluated this model myself, I found nothing wrong with it. Well, today I was out "accessorising" for my Visor, and low and behold, I found the iPaq and M505 right next to eachother. Now the iPaq's screen has been praised tremendously, in contrast to the M505's screen. (duh) I tested them out in two different lighting conditions, in two different stores. Here is the result.

1) Micro Center = Dull lighting, Incandescent / Subdued Florescent.

Light Turned off:
    The M505: Like any screen without its light on that requires the lighting around you, I had to view it at the right angle, since the cradle on it held it at such a position where the screen looked almost monochromatic. Once a nice light source was found, the colors were all distinguishable, but not as clear as they could have been. This was caused, in part by the yellowish tint of the lighting, however, the color screen was perfectly legible, but muddy.

The iPaq: I was dissapointed. With the backlight off, the colors were hardly distingishable, even though it had a good light source. This was probably due to the overall ugliness of the PPCOS, but it was not pleasing to my eye in this lighting condition. I could still make out the colors, but they had lost their vibrance.

Both were inferior to the NeoGeo Pocket.

Light Turned on MAX:
    The M505: While there is no color adjustment, I found the color on the M505 to be quite pleasing & soft, but not muddy. It was not as vibrant as a Prism by any means, but I found the screen much nicer to look at, mostly because it wasn't as blinding. This screen is very legible in ALL lighting conditions, too. The light was not as bright as the iPaq's, but it did the job well.

The iPaq: You can use this as a flashlight. That backlight is briiiiiggghhhttt!!! I noticed more unequality in the screen brightness (as I did in the m505) than I would like to have seen, but this is probably caused by the larger screen. Everything was legible, and the colors were very vibrant.

When compared side by side, the iPaq is brighter, but the color richness is closer than I expected (in the iPaq's favor, of course.) An M505 owner would not be humiliated in front of an iPaq owner in a screen contest.

---

CompUSA = Mercury Vapor Lamps. (Similar to the Flourescent office lighting)

Lights turned off:

M505: I had to do a double check.... the light was off! The color looked tremendous!!! The blues were blue, the reds were red, and it actually looked as nice as a Prism!

iPaq: Once again, it looked nice, but didn't seem to pick up as much light. This may have been caused by the positioning of the display case, or the overall ugliness of the PPC OS. But it still had nice liveable colors.

Both required positioning to find a light source, but not nearly as much as in Micro Center.

Lights turned on:

M505: The backlight made little difference. The colors became slightly more defined, but everything was perfectly legible.

iPaq: The backlight made a larger difference than in the Palm. The screen looked very nice, and as usual with the backlights on, the colors looked crisp.

----

Conclusion: Both of these handhelds performed well. This was my first chance to compare them side-by-side, and the true underdog was the Palm M505, which seems to have become fodder for criticism.

Prism owners should keep their Prism's, unless they're willing to sacrifice screen brightness to get the sleekest color PDA on the planet, and see less of those ugly grid lines. (They were not very noticeable on the Palm.)

With the backlight (actually, it's a sidelight) on, no matter what the lighting condition was, the colors looked nice with the M505.

The winner? They're both winners. More specifically, the Palm. It makes up for the weaker backlight by providing a cleaner OS, lower price, sexy form factor, and the comfort you can take in knowing that Microsoft doesn't get a dime of your purchase.

----

Misc. Comments:

I saw a display-unit Edge at CompUSA. It had more dents in it than your grandma's Buick, and the screen was cracked on the Platinum. Ouch.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by bblue
    Misc. Comments:

I saw a display-unit Edge at CompUSA. It had more dents in it than your grandma's Buick, and the screen was cracked on the Platinum. Ouch.
    The m505 at our local OfficeMax was in equally rough shape physically, and the screen was on, but there was no way to get it to display anything (and they had the reset button covered with their anti-theft gizmo). I bet they don't sell too many. I walked away with an appreciation of my edge.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  3.    #3  
    Ouch.... I wonder if they'll sell their beat-up display units.... I love a project... (I'd love an EDGE... even a beat up one!)

I don't think CompUSA is trying too hard to sell their Handspring products. The styli were missing from every handheld (unscrewed & stolen) and the only ones that would turn on were the VDX's.

Of course, I took comfort in knowing that their PocketPC display for the Casio and HP systems was far worse. (Not a single working unit.)

But they sold two Visors (1 platinum & 1 deluxe) while I was there, as well as 3 M505s. I guess their sales people did a good job of selling them. (As opposed to the guy at Micro Center, who tried in vain to stop people from buying anything with the Palm OS!)
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"