Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In this month's Mobile Computing and Communications magazine, thirteen handhelds were put to the test, PPC and Palm OS alike. Two took best of show: the Compaq iPaq and the Visor Prism. Palm handhelds came out generally looking quite poor: slow performance, only acceptable screens, and... did I mention slow? Oh yeah, and for the most part, boxy. The Prism came out of the testing with high regards for it's screen and color compatibility. The Platinum tested as THE FASTEST HANDHELD running the Palm OS, just narrowing inching out the Prism for that award. Just thought y'all should know.
    www.studio1809.com
    P.S. I feel at home with geeks like you.
    Coooooooooool! VERY cooooool!

Did they test the edge? HS suppusdly redesigned a couple o things that makes it the fastest visor.. I don't care. Palm sucks! HANDSPRING ROCKS!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    The prism is overpriced. I think it DOES have the best color screen, but for $449, I'd take an M505.

Here's why:
    M505 has an upgradeable OS. Yes, it really does matter, especially at this price range.
    M505's color display is the most realistic so far of all Palm Handhelds (until the new CLIE comes out) . It can be used in daylight, and is acceptable everywhere else.
    The M505 doesn't have problems like loose buttons, & peeling paint.
    The M505 has vibrating alarms (A $40.00 option on the Handspring)
    The M505 is the smallest color display handheld ever, and there's a minimal tradeoff.
    The M505 has a useable speaker.
    The M505 isn't manufactured in some 3rd world country. (well, if you're smart you bought the USA ones)

Now the Prism is Faster & brighter, and it has some nice Springboard expansion options the Palm M505 won't have for some time if ever. As for the Edge, I love it, but It needs to be dropped in price by about $200.00.

And the Palm's got marked for boxy? Uh... the M505 certainly is not a box.... especially when compared to the Prism & iPaq.
    Oh well, stick on Afterburner with the money you save when you buy an M505 and blow the pants off of a Platinum who hopefully, doesn't have Afterburner.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by bblue
    The prism is overpriced. I think it DOES have the best color screen, but for $449, I'd take an M505.

Here's why:
    M505 has an upgradeable OS. Yes, it really does matter, especially at this price range.
    M505's color display is the most realistic so far of all Palm Handhelds (until the new CLIE comes out) . It can be used in daylight, and is acceptable everywhere else.
    The M505 is the smallest color display handheld ever, and there's a minimal tradeoff.
    The M505 isn't manufactured in some 3rd world country. (well, if you're smart you bought the USA ones)

hopefully, doesn't have Afterburner.

Yawn. Bottom line is that the Visor Prism is the King of the Palm OS color space right now. This may change when the Clie arrive...But Handspring wont take the Sony's arrival sitting down.

From what I have seen myself and on these boards in the handheld section... The M505 is a big FLOP.

Here's why:
    No, it doesn't.
    The prism's screen is usable damn near everywhere. Even outside you can still see what's going on for the most part.
    New prisms don't, either. Where have you been?
    The prism has a better datebook, springboard expansion, etc.
    Smaller isn't necessarily better (as Palm is proving).
    WTF? Are you just pulling things out of your ***? The prism's speaker could hardly be called unuseable.
    And with all the money those third world countries are making off our auto/oil/computer/kid's toy purchases, your $450 makes a big deal how? Especially considering that how much of that goes to the third world countries for the components (the "USA" ones are only assembled here)?

Now the Prism is Faster & brighter, and it has some nice Springboard expansion options the Palm M505 won't have for some time if ever. As for the Edge, I love it, but It needs to be dropped in price by about $200.00.
    But you're not complaining about the price of the m500? I think you're pulling these prices out of your ***, as well.

And the Palm's got marked for boxy? Uh... the M505 certainly is not a box.... especially when compared to the Prism & iPaq.
    Oh well, stick on Afterburner with the money you save when you buy an M505 and blow the pants off of a Platinum who hopefully, doesn't have Afterburner.
    Good call. And what money are you talking about saving? The m505 is more expensive than the plat and equally as expensive as the prism. If you're comparing cost between the m505 and the iPaq, it's fatuous to use the savings to upgrade the machine and then compare it to a something entirely different.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  6.    #6  
    Oh y'all didn't just dis my Platinum?
    It's been proven that the Platinum kicks any Palms ****, be it the V the 505, 500, whatever.
    www.studio1809.com
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

No, it doesn't.

Yes it does. Knowing that you most likely do not OWN a Palm product, you would probably not be able to appreciate it.

The prism's screen is usable damn near everywhere. Even outside you can still see what's going on for the most part.

When you take it outside in bright broad daylight / OR / by a window with quite a bit of sunlight. The M505 looks great.

New prisms don't, either. Where have you been?

CompUsa. (I was able to twist the "up" button significantly... and it wasn't just this particular Prism unit) The paint finish wasn't in what I would call "acceptable" condition... but practically ALL of the handhelds in the Handspring section has the crap beatten out of em.

The prism has a better datebook, springboard expansion, etc.

True, but you can download a better datebook for free. (The M505 has Documents to go, too!)

Smaller isn't necessarily better (as Palm is proving).
    I'd have to disagree. Sorry.

WTF? Are you just pulling things out of your ***? The prism's speaker could hardly be called unuseable.
    It's useable in the sense that it'll alert you if it's in your pocket and you're wide awake. The M505 unit I used was almost loud enough to be an alarm clock. Go Palm!

And with all the money those third world countries are making off our auto/oil/computer/kid's toy purchases, your $450 makes a big deal how? Especially considering that how much of that goes to the third world countries for the components (the "USA" ones are only assembled here)?

The fact that Palm payed for decent labor. Thousands of people's $450.00 makes a BIG difference.

But you're not complaining about the price of the m500? I think you're pulling these prices out of your ***, as well.

Do a price comparison search. Tell me what you find. I found quite a few for sub- $400.00. ($386.00) The lowest Prism I could find was $419.00

Good call. And what money are you talking about saving? The m505 is more expensive than the plat and equally as expensive as the prism. If you're comparing cost between the m505 and the iPaq, it's fatuous to use the savings to upgrade the machine and then compare it to a something entirely different.

No. I'm talking about the fact that you can pick up an M505 for $386.00 mentioned on this BBS alone , than an Edge. I'm talking in comparison to the Prism, not the Platinum. (that's like comparing an Aston Martin to a Camaro)
    Also, I think it's a bit irrelevant to compare the speeds between the M505 and the Prism. The M505 is running a more feature-crammed OS, which usually requires more work from the processor. (This is why the Deluxe waxes my IIIxe)
    ---
    Just a question... My ICE VDX "supposedly" was running at 51 Mhz running 3 "speed enhancement apps." I dunno if it's true, but I can say that it sure did run fast! I'll keep my formula as secret as possible to keep you Platinum owners from outrunning me, but how the hell is this possible? Even more, if it's true, why didn't Palm just use these Apps to allow Mp3 playback?
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by "Genius"
    Yes it does. Knowing that you most likely do not OWN a Palm product, you would probably not be able to appreciate it.
    I don't need to own one to know that the advances being made are hardware. You show me how having flash RAM gets you a higher resolution, 16-bit sound capabilities, faster processors, etc. and I'll listen. Until then flash RAM is next to pointless (unless you're using JackFlash or the like the utilize that memory for secure back-up of important apps - although I'd rather carry a backup module and keep everything safe). Are you able to argue cogently? There is a reason I don't OWN a Palm product (OS aside). But I'd rather hear how the functionality that you have with your flash RAM has proven itself in any other fashion besides "appreciation." The only thing that comes to mind is 4-bit greyscale support for the deluxe and solo. That was a case of the software not supporting the hardware capabilities. That issue hasn't come up since, nor is it going to. Handspring has more than proven themselves intelligent, and you can bank on the fact that every hardware feature in their devices will be supported.

When you take it outside in bright broad daylight / OR / by a window with quite a bit of sunlight. The M505 looks great.
    And it looks less than great in almost every other lighting condition, in which the prism shines.

CompUsa. (I was able to twist the "up" button significantly... and it wasn't just this particular Prism unit) The paint finish wasn't in what I would call "acceptable" condition... but practically ALL of the handhelds in the Handspring section has the crap beatten out of em.
    And so you're telling me that prisms are crap because of beaten demo units that you've had experience with? So then, according to your logic, all m505's suck because the screen don't show any information at all (per the unit at our local OfficeMax right now). I'd rather have a wiggly button and the ability to display something on the screen, but that's probably just me.

True, but you can download a better datebook for free. (The M505 has Documents to go, too!)
    Better than? The last time I checked DateBook 3/4 were the only thing better than the included DateBook+.

I'd have to disagree. Sorry.
    That's fine. I can smear some crap in a matchbox and send it to you for the ultimate in compact PIM's. It'll hold those small sticky notes just fine. Only $450. The point being that size shouldn't be the ultimate goal until functionality can go with it. The m505 isn't there yet.

It's useable in the sense that it'll alert you if it's in your pocket and you're wide awake. The M505 unit I used was almost loud enough to be an alarm clock. Go Palm!
    So because the m505 can double as an alarm clock (aside: with Palm's aversion to poor battery life, how could they think upping the juice to the speaker would be a good idea?), you feel free to imply that the speaker on the visor is unuseable. I guess it's a matter of priorities. I would rather be able to tell I had a color unit over the ability to play the melody to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" with a piezzo speaker a little bit louder, but again, that's probably just me.

The fact that Palm payed for decent labor. Thousands of people's $450.00 makes a BIG difference.
    Decent is a subjective term. Until I see figures comparing how many Americans Palm is keeping in business (vs. Hungarians), this is a moot point. There's a lot going into this equation that you're not considering. Corporate overhead, research and development (wait a minute...nevermind), component costs, shipping, property upkeep, etc. The "Made in the USA" label just isn't what it used to be.

Do a price comparison search. Tell me what you find. I found quite a few for sub- $400.00. ($386.00) The lowest Prism I could find was $419.00
    First off, I was comparing the cost of the edge to the cost of the m500. Secondly, comparing anything but retail prices is subject to change, and as such is pointless to quote (excepting to chart a change with regard to time and try and statistically determine demand). Thirdly, having a product that isn't able to hold its value once it's out the door is hardly complimentary.

No. I'm talking about the fact that you can pick up an M505 for $386.00 mentioned on this BBS alone , than an Edge. I'm talking in comparison to the Prism, not the Platinum. (that's like comparing an Aston Martin to a Camaro)
    No, you said the money you saved - which would only be saved if you're comparing the price of an m505 to that of an iPaq - could be used to buy After-burner/Quickbits/etc. and make the m505 faster than a Platinum/Prism/edge. If you're comparing the cost for those prices that you were able to find using whatever cost-cutting method you have, again, those prices are anything but carved in stone. People were picking up the prism for $299 after rebate. Find me an m505 for that price.

Also, I think it's a bit irrelevant to compare the speeds between the M505 and the Prism. The M505 is running a more feature-crammed OS, which usually requires more work from the processor. (This is why the Deluxe waxes my IIIxe)
    Personally, I think it's fairly pointless to compare the speeds for any Palm OS device. I really don't see the need to have a Palm clocked at 100MHz for anything other than bragging rights. Who the hell has an address book large enough that having said processor is going to make that big of a difference? We're not talking video editing, folks. 90% of everything done on these is text (taking the 'average' user into consideration).

Frankly, I wish you would just say that your preference for Palm is personal, rather than wasting my time quoting ebay prices and pseudo-economics.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 05/28/2001 at 06:48 PM.
    -Joshua
    This is interesting thread. I like it!

note: I agree with you, ****-richardson!
    Go ****-richardson!
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    i don't know if anyone has similar views. i own a prism, a palm V and a compaq ppc, all great machines. but i keep going back to the mother of them all, the nokia 9110. i've had the 9110 for 3 years now and nothing beats it. it has the best compromise of any pda/communication device out there. i'll be receiving my new 9210 in a few days time and i reckon it will be the one to beat. that is of course, until the pc-ephone starts shipping (check it out: www.pc-ephone.com)
    I agree with **** Richardson above. His arguements are more cohesive and makes a lot more sense. BBlue should have just came out and say he prefer Palm than starting the thread slamming the Prism.

I am now convinced that he is here to cause trouble and get attention.

SIDE NOTE: That Ephone thing is way too broad to be used as a phone. And its feature sets isn't all that impressive.
    I put the m505 screen beside the Prism in a store yesterday, there is no comparison. The Prism screen looks much better. The Clie's screen is the nicest of all, of course. Too bad it's only expandable via memory sticks. As for price, here are the lowest prices I found on mysimon:

Prism: $394.95
    m505: $383.99

So the difference between an m505 and a prism is about $10.00. In my opinion, $384 is too much to pay for a product with a mediocre screen. I haven't seen one positive review of the m505 yet, and when I saw the screen in person I could see why. If form factor is really so important that you would choose an m505 over a prism, why not just save $150 and get a vx? (Note: the lowest price for a vx on mysimon is 229)
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

I don't need to own one to know that the advances being made are hardware. You show me how having flash RAM gets you a higher resolution, 16-bit sound capabilities, faster processors, etc. and I'll listen. Until then flash RAM is next to pointless (unless you're using JackFlash or the like the utilize that memory for secure back-up of important apps - although I'd rather carry a backup module and keep everything safe). Are you able to argue cogently? There is a reason I don't OWN a Palm product (OS aside). But I'd rather hear how the functionality that you have with your flash RAM has proven itself in any other fashion besides "appreciation." The only thing that comes to mind is 4-bit greyscale support for the deluxe and solo. That was a case of the software not supporting the hardware capabilities. That issue hasn't come up since, nor is it going to. Handspring has more than proven themselves intelligent, and you can bank on the fact that every hardware feature in their devices will be supported.

If my Visor Deluxe had flash memory:
    I could run an Omnisky modem seamlessly
    I could run AvantGo with full grayscale resolution
    I could run several other apps with full grayscale resolution
    I would have more memory
    I would not have to type that stupid menu button to get a drop list. I HATE THAT!

As the Palm OS progresses, this list can go longer. It probably could if I had the time.

And it looks less than great in almost every other lighting condition, in which the prism shines.

I disagree dicksy, The Prism clearly has a brighter screen, but the Palm's screen isn't as bad as people say it is. Particularly, I like how the grid is not as noticeable on the M505 as it is on the Prism. In all lighting conditions, the M505 screen looks good. The better your light source, the better it looks, as with all reflective screens.

And so you're telling me that prisms are crap because of beaten demo units that you've had experience with? So then, according to your logic, all m505's suck because the screen don't show any information at all (per the unit at our local OfficeMax right now). I'd rather have a wiggly button and the ability to display something on the screen, but that's probably just me.

The wiggly buttons is NOT an isolated case, dicksy. I've seen it on every Prism demo / unit I've ever used. If it was, I would NOT have used it.

Better than? The last time I checked DateBook 3/4 were the only thing better than the included DateBook+.

Then be happy.

That's fine. I can smear some crap in a matchbox and send it to you for the ultimate in compact PIM's. It'll hold those small sticky notes just fine. Only $450. The point being that size shouldn't be the ultimate goal until functionality can go with it. The m505 isn't there yet.

Do I really need to argue this? The only "tradeoff" is the screen, which isn't bad at all. Uh... it does a little more than a matchbox with crud on it.

I mean comeeee onnnnn!

So because the m505 can double as an alarm clock (aside: with Palm's aversion to poor battery life, how could they think upping the juice to the speaker would be a good idea?), you feel free to imply that the speaker on the visor is unuseable. I guess it's a matter of priorities. I would rather be able to tell I had a color unit over the ability to play the melody to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" with a piezzo speaker a little bit louder, but again, that's probably just me.

Like I said, the screen on the M505 is perfectly crisp in all lighting situations with the backlight on. And you think the Palm's have poor battery life? With the backlight turned off, there's no way it takes up as much juice as the Prism. A louder speaker does not suddenly offset that. (It may, but it'd be hardly noticeable)

Decent is a subjective term. Until I see figures comparing how many Americans Palm is keeping in business (vs. Hungarians), this is a moot point. There's a lot going into this equation that you're not considering. Corporate overhead, research and development (wait a minute...nevermind), component costs, shipping, property upkeep, etc. The "Made in the USA" label just isn't what it used to be.

It means it wasn't screwed together by someone in a sweat shop.

First off, I was comparing the cost of the edge to the cost of the m500. Secondly, comparing anything but retail prices is subject to change, and as such is pointless to quote (excepting to chart a change with regard to time and try and statistically determine demand). Thirdly, having a product that isn't able to hold its value once it's out the door is hardly complimentary.

Fine, I stand corrected.

No, you said the money you saved - which would only be saved if you're comparing the price of an m505 to that of an iPaq - could be used to buy After-burner/Quickbits/etc. and make the m505 faster than a Platinum/Prism/edge. If you're comparing the cost for those prices that you were able to find using whatever cost-cutting method you have, again, those prices are anything but carved in stone. People were picking up the prism for $299 after rebate. Find me an m505 for that price.
    I must've made a typo. It's not hard to figure out anyway.

Personally, I think it's fairly pointless to compare the speeds for any Palm OS device. I really don't see the need to have a Palm clocked at 100MHz for anything other than bragging rights. Who the hell has an address book large enough that having said processor is going to make that big of a difference? We're not talking video editing, folks. 90% of everything done on these is text (taking the 'average' user into consideration).

Zap2000
    Dreadling
    Tealmovie
    Fireviewer
    SimCity
    Tide Tool
    PolliGlot
    WordSmith
    Hotpaw Basic
    Tealpaint
    Diddle
    Graypaint
    AvantGo
    VRally

All of these apps are ones that have proved that speed matters. You notice one HELL of a difference. Especially Dreadling!

Frankly, I wish you would just say that your preference for Palm is personal, rather than wasting my time quoting ebay prices and pseudo-economics. [/B]
    Frankly, I'd wish that you'd can the irrelevant arguements, and stick to the facts. (Which were good.) It'd make this go much quicker.

And yes, I still like Palm. And I'll defend them nonetheless.
    Also, you should really compare the M505 screen to the iPaq. Although it has a dimmer backlight, I found the screen to be nicer on the M505.
    ----

Also, one thing. I understand this is a Visor site. Defending Palm is like defending Windows at a Mac convention.
    Defending Palm is like defending Windows at a Mac convention.
    Except Mac's don't run Windows
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    ****-rich:

Two things -

1 - cool new avatar!!
    2 - beware of bblue. He's using the "tar-baby" technique on you.

- SM
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
  16.    #16  
    In all fairness, I went to OfficeMax today and saw the 505. Not a bad screen at all. I'll admit, I was drooling. So here's a question. I'm a "Palm developer", and now they're offering deep discounts on Palms to U.S. developers. Should I pick up a Palm for cheap, if so which one? Keep in mind, I bought a Platinum but 3 months ago. I know, I know...I'm greedy like that...
    www.studio1809.com
    See? I told you you'd like it!

Well, here's my list:
    If you want:

Decent Color= Palm IIIc
    Form Factor= Palm Vx . It still looks good!
    Dirt-Cheap handheld with good Wireless access= Palm VIIx .

Don't waste your time with the M105/M100 . They're cute, but never as loveable as they look.

I wish the M500/M505 were part of this.... maybe they will be soon.

Beware: while none of these may make you get rid of your Platinum, if you end up liking the Palm's upgradeable OS, and some of the other features, you may end up with sibling rivalry. My IIIxe & Visor DLX are still duking it out.

----

What's the tar-baby technique??? Please tell me!
    If my Visor Deluxe had flash memory:
    I could run an Omnisky modem seamlessly
    Or you could get Yada Yada and run it seamlessly

I could run AvantGo with full grayscale resolution
    I could run several other apps with full grayscale resolution
    I already admitted that greyscale support was flash RAM's shining moment.

I would have more memory
    Very little and very limited memory whose only redeeming quality is that its contents can survive a hard reset. Big deal when you have to restore everything from a backup medium anyway.

I would not have to type that stupid menu button to get a drop list. I HATE THAT!
    You're right! MenuHack is SO expensive that I can see how flash RAM comes through nicely on that one.

As the Palm OS progresses, this list can go longer. It probably could if I had the time.
    That's exactly the point. The OS is progressing to the extent needed to allow for hardware upgrades. If you don't have the hardware, the OS - flashable or not - is useless. Can you flash OS 4 onto a Palm V? My point exactly.

I disagree dicksy, The Prism clearly has a brighter screen, but the Palm's screen isn't as bad as people say it is. Particularly, I like how the grid is not as noticeable on the M505 as it is on the Prism. In all lighting conditions, the M505 screen looks good. The better your light source, the better it looks, as with all reflective screens.
    Disagree all you want, the screen of the prism looks better in more lighting conditions than the m505's to most people, grid or no grid. You can hardly tell there is a grid on my edge, but that doesn't mean that my edge has a better screen than the prism. The redeeming quality that is gained by reducing grid visibility is more than lost by the lack-luster screen Palm chose to throw in the device.

The wiggly buttons is NOT an isolated case, dicksy. I've seen it on every Prism demo / unit I've ever used. If it was, I would NOT have used it.
    The poor screen quality of the m505 is not an isolated case, either, which was my point.

Then be happy.
    So you have nothing to back up your assertion that there is a better datebook available for free? This appears to be a reccuring theme in your posts.

Do I really need to argue this?...
    Only by taking the figurative example literally, apparently. The point was not that crap in a box is more functional than an m505, it was that smaller is only an advantage when it can be done well. I figured that was obvious, but I guess Palm needed to take a financial hit to drive the point home.

Like I said, the screen on the M505 is perfectly crisp in all lighting situations with the backlight on. And you think the Palm's have poor battery life? With the backlight turned off, there's no way it takes up as much juice as the Prism. A louder speaker does not suddenly offset that. (It may, but it'd be hardly noticeable)
    This is why I question your ability to argue cogently. A company that has an aversion to poor battery life would make devices that put battery life as a high priority - even to the detriment of screen quality. Does that sound like a company you know? Just out of curiosity, does the backlight come back on after you turn the device off and then on, or do you have to turn it on manually each time you use it?

It means it wasn't screwed together by someone in a sweat shop. []
    This dealt with absolutely nothing concerning the argument to which it was addressed, but, just to throw another idea out there, it also means that American dollars isn't going to these poorer countries. Without capital, they have no chance for improvement. Take a look at Japan. They're astronomical economic rise would never have happened without American dollars, and now we're getting the kick-backs. All in all, the consumers have benefitted greatly. I agree, it sucks when Americans lose their jobs, but no more so than when Malaysians lose theirs (especially considering the unemployment support available to Americans)

I must've made a typo. It's not hard to figure out anyway.
    To you, maybe. If you meant something different, clarify. Saying, "it's not hard to figure out" is a nice way to make it appear that your argument was valid without actually validating your argument. Try again.

Zap2000
    Dreadling
    Tealmovie
    Fireviewer
    SimCity
    Tide Tool
    PolliGlot
    WordSmith
    Hotpaw Basic
    Tealpaint
    Diddle
    Graypaint
    AvantGo
    VRally

All of these apps are ones that have proved that speed matters. You notice one HELL of a difference. Especially Dreadling!
    All very nice programs, quite a few of which perform quite nicely at 33MHz (as on my prism - makes sense, really - that's what they were designed for). I can't imagine what I'd do with that extra second of my life I would gain if only AvantGo would show the pages instantaneously (which even the fastest processors wouldn't be able to do). But you're right. Speed does matter to those who want more than just a PIM. I thought I was talking about the 'average' user, though. Personally, I don't play any of the games you have mentioned, because that's what my iMac is for (among other things).

Frankly, I'd wish that you'd can the irrelevant arguements, and stick to the facts. (Which were good.) It'd make this go much quicker.
    I didn't realize we were in a time crunch. Did it take you a long time to respond to that point? You could've just skipped over it and saved yourself that time.

And yes, I still like Palm. And I'll defend them nonetheless.
    That's fine, but there are some preferences that can be defended logically. I have made plenty of illogical decisions, and would again if given the chance, but I'm not about to try and logically argue them.

Also, you should really compare the M505 screen to the iPaq. Although it has a dimmer backlight, I found the screen to be nicer on the M505.
    Unfortunately, I won't see the iPaq's screen until I get down to Sioux Falls again. I may have to reassess my opinion if it's as poor as the m505 screens I've seen.

Also, one thing. I understand this is a Visor site. Defending Palm is like defending Windows at a Mac convention.
    Actually, this place is the quickest to come forth with Handspring criticism. Handspring has proven themselves as quick with responding to that criticism for the most part.

Aside: I'm still of the opinion that the person who came forth with the fix to the prism shimmer was a Handspring employee.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 05/29/2001 at 01:00 AM.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine
    ****-rich:

Two things -

1 - cool new avatar!!
    Thanks.
    2 - beware of bblue. He's using the "tar-baby" technique on you.
    Not familiar with that term. Please explain.
    -Joshua
    * puts up heat shield to defend against searing flames

POCKET PC IS BETTER THAN YOUR WIMPY PALMS AND VISORS!!!

240X320 SCREEN RESOLUTION
    MP3'S AND MEDIA OUT OF THE BOX
    WORD AND EXCEL COMPATIBILITY OUT OF THE BOX
    VOICE RECORDING
    BETTER SPEAKER

would you rather get a Cassiopeia Em500 with all of this for $400? or a low res Visor Prism with a tinny speaker for $450?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast