Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by b1lanceman
    * puts up heat shield to defend against searing flames

POCKET PC IS BETTER THAN YOUR WIMPY PALMS AND VISORS!!!

240X320 SCREEN RESOLUTION
    MP3'S AND MEDIA OUT OF THE BOX
    WORD AND EXCEL COMPATIBILITY OUT OF THE BOX
    VOICE RECORDING
    BETTER SPEAKER

would you rather get a Cassiopeia Em500 with all of this for $400? or a low res Visor Prism with a tinny speaker for $450?
    Looks good on paper; pain in the *** to use. Rather like Windows itself come to think of it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Or you could get Yada Yada and run it seamlessly

can you get a free yadyada modem with a contract signup?
    [b]
    I already admitted that greyscale support was flash RAM's shining moment.

Very little and very limited memory whose only redeeming quality is that its contents can survive a hard reset. Big deal when you have to restore everything from a backup medium anyway.

Backup modules cost extra. 600K is quite a bit in the Palm world. (Although, not for Tealmovie & AvantGo)

You're right! MenuHack is SO expensive that I can see how flash RAM comes through nicely on that one.

I know, I know... but that would require work!!!!

That's exactly the point. The OS is progressing to the extent needed to allow for hardware upgrades. If you don't have the hardware, the OS - flashable or not - is useless. Can you flash OS 4 onto a Palm V? My point exactly.

Actually, you can. Palm made a slimmed-down version of OS4 that I guess has all of the necessary upgrade features (I can guess they removed some of the stuff Palm Vx & IIIxe users won't need like card support) and made it availible to us. So yes.

Disagree all you want, the screen of the prism looks better in more lighting conditions than the m505's to most people, grid or no grid. You can hardly tell there is a grid on my edge, but that doesn't mean that my edge has a better screen than the prism. The redeeming quality that is gained by reducing grid visibility is more than lost by the lack-luster screen Palm chose to throw in the device.

The edge isn't color! It's only a problem with color screens!

And the screen on the M505 is nice. It's not "poor quality" or "too dim" unless you've got the backlight off. With it on, it's crisp, clear, and just right for people who don't like their screens "downright blinding."

The poor screen quality of the m505 is not an isolated case, either, which was my point.

The quality of the M505 screen certainly is not poor by ANY standards. It may not be a CLIE or a Prism, but that doesn't mean it has a bad screen.

So you have nothing to back up your assertion that there is a better datebook available for free? This appears to be a reoccuring theme in your posts.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only by taking the figurative example literally, apparently. The point was not that crap in a box is more functional than an m505, it was that smaller is only an advantage when it can be done well. I figured that was obvious, but I guess Palm needed to take a financial hit to drive the point home.

Puleeeeeezzz. Palm's financial problems were NOT caused by a lack of demand for the M505. It was caused by a parts shortage.

This is why I question your ability to argue cogently. A company that has an aversion to poor battery life would make devices that put battery life as a high priority - even to the detriment of screen quality. Does that sound like a company you know? Just out of curiosity, does the backlight come back on after you turn the device off and then on, or do you have to turn it on manually each time you use it?

The screen quality is more than acceptable. As for everything else, Palm's working on it. (Something like GlowHack is coming out)

This dealt with absolutely nothing concerning the argument to which it was addressed, but, just to throw another idea out there, it also means that American dollars isn't going to these poorer countries. Without capital, they have no chance for improvement. Take a look at Japan. They're astronomical economic rise would never have happened without American dollars, and now we're getting the kick-backs. All in all, the consumers have benefitted greatly. I agree, it sucks when Americans lose their jobs, but no more so than when Malaysians lose theirs (especially considering the unemployment support available to Americans)

This was a petty arguement. You're trying too much. But I gotta acknowledge your sticktuitiveness.

To you, maybe. If you meant something different, clarify. Saying, "it's not hard to figure out" is a nice way to make it appear that your argument was valid without actually validating your argument. Try again.

Ok

All very nice programs, quite a few of which perform quite nicely at 33MHz (as on my prism - makes sense, really - that's what they were designed for). I can't imagine what I'd do with that extra second of my life I would gain if only AvantGo would show the pages instantaneously (which even the fastest processors wouldn't be able to do). But you're right. Speed does matter to those who want more than just a PIM. I thought I was talking about the 'average' user, though. Personally, I don't play any of the games you have mentioned, because that's what my iMac is for (among other things).

Tealmovie and Dreadling make speed almost a necessity. But you do bring up a good point... who needs a 100mhz processor for a Palm handheld? Microsoft, are you listening?

I didn't realize we were in a time crunch. Did it take you a long time to respond to that point? You could've just skipped over it and saved yourself that time.

I certainly am. That's what I hate about these arguements. But this one is actually going quite nicely.

That's fine, but there are some preferences that can be defended logically. I have made plenty of illogical decisions, and would again if given the chance, but I'm not about to try and logically argue them.

right-on

Unfortunately, I won't see the iPaq's screen until I get down to Sioux Falls again. I may have to reassess my opinion if it's as poor as the m505 screens I've seen.

Actually, this place is the quickest to come forth with Handspring criticism. Handspring has proven themselves as quick with responding to that criticism for the most part.

Really? Not to prove you wrong or anything, but I'm betting there is more criticism on the Palm M505 than there is on Handspring.
    Aside: I'm still of the opinion that the person who came forth with the fix to the prism shimmer was a Handspring employee.

Go Mr. Employee!!!!
    Actually, I think THIS is how I wish most arguements would go. I'm quite pleased, since I have not really had to argue so much with someone's opinion.

----

B1Lanceman?

PocketPC is better than a wimpy Palm or Visor?
    1) Look Ma! No crashes!
    2) Palm's have got Media! Look at Tealmovie and Fireviewer! Sure, the sound's not the best, but they are ORGANIZERS!
    3) Palm's are mac compatable! PocketPC's are not!
    4) Can your PocketPC become a digital camera? Can it become a barcode scanner, or a radio (coming soon!) No. You really can't.
    5) Software. More, and if you ask me, more revolutionary. VRally? Zap 2010? Simcity? DREADLING???? Whoever said the Palm OS can't do real gaming's **** is puckered now!
    6) My batteries last months. Yours last hours.
    7) Hmmm... you can store 4 mp3's on your PocketPC, and get moderate playback quality. Yawn.
    8) Your handwriting program is junk. Graffiti, while you have to learn it, is far more reliable in my opinion.
    9) Who gives about the resolution? If you do, get the CLIE or HandEra!
    10) Your PPC is a lot bulkier than the sexy M505!
    11) You're running the PPC-OS. Ha Ha!

Like I said, just because it's crammed with features I really don't need, does not mean it's a better handheld.

Omnigroup.com should explain to you why.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by b1lanceman

would you rather get a Cassiopeia Em500 with all of this for $400? or a low res Visor Prism with a tinny speaker for $450?
    Since you ask, I would rather get the low res Visor Prism with they "tinny" speaker. I bought the Prism because the OS on it is easy to use and keeps me organize. I can do stuff on it faster than you can press the start button on your PPC.

Of course, If I wanted a laptop in my pocket I would have gotten a PocketPC.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    [B]
    Thanks.

Not familiar with that term. Please explain.
    There's an old fable where a bear and a fox wanted to catch a rabbit. They built a little kid (baby) out of tar, put clothes on him, and put a carrot in his hand. The rabbit came by and asked for the carrot several times. No response from the tar baby. Rabbit gets mad and hits the tar baby, gets one hand stuck. Kicks the tar baby, and gets a foot stuck. The more he wailed away at the tar baby, the more trapped in the goo he became, until he was hopping mad and immobilized!

Every time I read one of bblue's rambling, innacurate posts, this is what I think of. Don't get trapped in the goo...
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine
    There's an old fable where a bear and a fox wanted to catch a rabbit. They built a little kid (baby) out of tar, put clothes on him, and put a carrot in his hand. The rabbit came by and asked for the carrot several times. No response from the tar baby. Rabbit gets mad and hits the tar baby, gets one hand stuck. Kicks the tar baby, and gets a foot stuck. The more he wailed away at the tar baby, the more trapped in the goo he became, until he was hopping mad and immobilized!

Every time I read one of bblue's rambling, innacurate posts, this is what I think of. Don't get trapped in the goo...
    Yes, and his recently apropos sig: "Never argue with a fool. It only brings you down to his level, and he's had much more experience there." (or something along those lines)
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine

I was familiar with the fable, just hadn't heard it used as a technique and wasn't sure of your implication. Thanks.
    -Joshua
    You know, I've done my best to avoid the tar baby, but it seems like it's just so BIG. Every time it comes ramblin' into a thread, it goes way off topic... I was hoping this thread would be about the long-term viability & quality of the VPL, and how surprising it was that it still stood up to the new PDAs on the block. Instead, I've got battles caused by the beast...

Very aggravating.
    can you get a free yadyada modem with a contract signup?
    Does that matter if it's your only option?

I know, I know... but that would require work!!!! []

Actually, you can. Palm made a slimmed-down version of OS4 that I guess has all of the necessary upgrade features (I can guess they removed some of the stuff Palm Vx & IIIxe users won't need like card support) and made it availible to us. So yes.
    OS 4 without USB support (you'd need an entirely different connector on the device - hardware), hardware expansion support (again - hardware), or any of the code that makes accessing the information stored on removeable memory possible (there's no memory that can be removed - that requires different hardware) can hardly be called OS 4. How much are they asking for this?

The edge isn't color! It's only a problem with color screens!

And the screen on the M505 is nice. It's not "poor quality" or "too dim" unless you've got the backlight off. With it on, it's crisp, clear, and just right for people who don't like their screens "downright blinding."
    personal preference

The quality of the M505 screen certainly is not poor by ANY standards. It may not be a CLIE or a Prism, but that doesn't mean it has a bad screen.
    That's been the point from the beginnning: it's not as good as a Prism.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Puleeeeeezzz. Palm's financial problems were NOT caused by a lack of demand for the M505. It was caused by a parts shortage.

The screen quality is more than acceptable. As for everything else, Palm's working on it. (Something like GlowHack is coming out)
    I'm sure they are.

This was a petty arguement. You're trying too much. But I gotta acknowledge your sticktuitiveness.
    After your comment about sweatshops.

Ok

But you do bring up a good point... who needs a 100mhz processor for a Palm handheld? Microsoft, are you listening?
    To you? I hope not.

I certainly am. That's what I hate about these arguements. But this one is actually going quite nicely.

right-on

Really? Not to prove you wrong or anything, but I'm betting there is more criticism on the Palm M505 than there is on Handspring.
    Without reason, I'm sure.

Actually, I think THIS is how I wish most arguements would go. I'm quite pleased, since I have not really had to argue so much with someone's opinion.
    = an "argument" of yours that isn't.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ashmed

Except Mac's don't run Windows
    As much as I hate to give props to Macs, they CAN run Windows (using Virtual PC). Windows cannot run ANYTHING mac-related.
    I read that article yesterday and I totally agree with the results. The Prism is definatley the best all around Palm. Kick *** color, great performance, decent form factor (feels better in hand than a Palm V or M series) and its expandability is being developed for now. The iPaq is by far the best Pocket PC.

nuff said on that.

adding to the Prism v m505 v Clie N710c.

I just returned my M505. The screen doesn't hold a candle next to the Prism. Yes, I admit it is harder to view the Prism outdoors on a bright day, but the Prism is superior in many more situations than the M505. if viewing outside and form factor is the most important thing to you then the M505 will make you happy. But like most other user, want great color. And the Prism whips out the Palm and Pocket PC arena as well in screen quality. Though Sony might take that crown shortly.

As far as Palm OS 4.0. I wasn't impressed. I didn't find any benefits to it except the little flash in corner of screen to remind you its alarm was on snooze. None of the standard apps were enhanced at all, and that reminds me. . . . Datebook+ on my Prism has much better views and customization than plain datebook. You can't set your Palm to switch views in Date book by pressing the datebook button. I was losing a very useful function going to the M505. To me the M505 is Palm reliving the mistake Sony made with the first color Clie. oh and did I forget to say no real audio capabilities? Atleast my Prism has a mic.

My advice to all is wait to see if Sony does it right the second time around. Or wait longer for the Color Edge
    Last edited by mikedemo; 05/29/2001 at 02:37 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by creole

As much as I hate to give props to Macs, they CAN run Windows (using Virtual PC). Windows cannot run ANYTHING mac-related.

I work on both platforms and I definatley prefer mac. And its neat how it can run the gamut of windows. But if you pc guys wanna try out mac.

You too can emulate.

http://www.emulators.com/

It actually runs pretty good. I still prefer the real thing though
    Last edited by mikedemo; 05/29/2001 at 03:47 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    Thanks, I've had my therapy. I feel better now.
    Last edited by bblue; 05/29/2001 at 09:02 PM.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Dual G4 450 with a gig of ram baby!!!
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Dual G4 450 with a gig of ram baby!!!
    oooowwwwwww!!!!!
    Hey, wanna switch computers?

You're giving my almost-3-year-old iMac inferiority complex!
    Originally posted by bblue
    Hey, wanna switch computers?

You're giving my almost-3-year-old iMac inferiority complex!
    No way.

How do you think I made the 3d image for my avatar.

BTW, does your 3 year old have a M505 as well?
    -Mikedemo
    My guess is that you went ahead and stole it from someone's site.

Oh yeah? How do you think I made my avatars!?!?? I had a really good one, except Flash 4 will NOT run on Classic for more than 5 minutes. I can't say how many avatars I've lost because of it.

My almost-3-year-old is only home to a VII, IIIxe, and an ICE Vdx. No M505's... but that may change. Although, I'd probably be more inclined to get a Prism because I've already got some VISOR accessories.

I'm drooling over both right now...... mmmm..... liquid crystal..........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12