1.    #1  
    I need a new Handheld to replace my Jornada 548, here are my criteria.

1. It can't cost more than $500
    2. It has to be at best buy, because i have service warranty there.
    3. It has to be color, but i dont care which OS
    Umm...so why don't you go to Best Buy and pick one out?

Was there a question?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    See if you can price haggle with Best Buy.

I'm thinking of a Palm M505 if you can live with the screen,
    Or a HS Prism if you don't mind peeling paint/buttons , and a bulky form factor. (You had a Jornada, so you probably won't mind this)

Make sure it's what you want.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Check out the SONY Clie NC710. It's not available..yet, but it will begin shipping within the next couple weeks.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Check out the SONY Clie NC710. It's not available..yet, but it will begin shipping within the next couple weeks.

Good luck!
    Actually, I picked one up at Fry's in San Jose this morning.
    Originally posted by bradhaak

Actually, I picked one up at Fry's in San Jose this morning.
    And what do you think?
    Originally posted by dshorter

And what do you think?
    I think that I'm fairly impressed.

Sony appears to have done a pretty decent job. It is fast, the graphics are incredible, The MP3 playback sounds good - a little more base would be welcome, but that may just be the headset that Sony includes.

There are a few of surprises about the audio playback. There is a background mode so that you can listen to audio while running other apps. This is not multitasking since the audio playback uses separate circuitry. The player just starts up the music and then terminates to run something else without shutting off the audio.

You can also turn off the display while listening to music. This should go a long way toward decent battery life. The reviews of early machines complained about how much battery life was degraded by MP3 playback.

Sony also ships drivers that let you mount the memory stick as a removable drive and copy files directly to it from the Windows Explorer. Not only is it cool, but also very fast. I may use it to transport files when I need to work at home.

On more mundane issues, The screen is stunning. Quite a bit brighter than the m505, but still not as bright as the Prism. Since it is reflective, it also looks great outdoors.

I have not seen any apps that won't run on it. But if I find some, there is a control panel in Prefs that lets me disable the enhanced graphics and fonts on an app-by-app basis. In almost all of the apps that I have tried, the new smoothed fonts are used to replace system fonts in menus and windows. The only app that I have tried that still uses low-res fonts is Palm Reader (Peanut). I suspect that it's fonts are embedded in the program, so you get what it gives. But even in this program, the fonts in the menus and dialogs are hi-res.

The unit is gorgeous, but about half-again as thick as the m505 with the leather cover. Speaking of leather covers, the one that comes with the Clie is very cool. The cradle from my old mono Sony is compatible (barely), so I don't have to buy a second cradle for work.

my biggest complaint so far is that the up/down rocker is a little too small and recessed for my fingers. It is usable, but I am very aware of it.

One other interesting point is that the OS is v3.6S.

All-in-all, my initial reaction is very favorable. I'll see if that continues.
    Bradhaak, just a quick question: Have you tried converting movies yet? Do they have full audio also?
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    Bradhaak, just a quick question: Have you tried converting movies yet? Do they have full audio also?
    I haven't converted any, but there are some examples. With audio, the frame rate is pretty poor. I will probably play around some and see if they can be improved.