Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a long support of the Treo from Handspring to PALM to PALMONE, etc. Over the last five years, my company has offered me a blackberry... which I refused as I love my Treo and all its capabilities.

I caved last Friday. I setup a 8310 Curve w/GPS for a coworker and was amazed at how far RIM had progressed. I've got one on order for me, and will parlay my Treo to my wife.

Now there is some apples to oranges, as I pay for my Treo service/device and my compay will pay for the Curve service/device. But needless to say, the market was there for PALM to Win, it was theirs to LOSE. They will probably go down as one of biggest Tech Company blunders of the 21st century. I can see the case study now... "How to divest your company and die a slow death." - Edward T. Colligan

See you later TC, I will still visit.
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    Maybe you should use both platforms for a couple of months before you make the judgement?

Either case Palm device and BB devices have grown increasing similar to each other. I can't tell a Treo 750 from a BB 83xx.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I never had a Treo until recently, but I had a few Palm Pilots. Then, about 6 months ago, I bought a BB. While I like the BB, it doesn't fit my needs as well as the Treo does.

If I had to choose between my BB and my Treo, I would definitely go for the Treo. For me, at least, it does everything I need it to.

Everyone has their own needs/wants, so opinions will vary.
    I came back to the Treo. The BB was okay, but I like the threaded txt messaging on the Treo better. I had an 8703e BB with Sprint. Besides, data is a lot cheaper on the Treo.
    I used the curve and 700p together for about a month. treo si STILL much better for telephony functions and calendaring. people will disagree all the time but for me, the 700 is a much better all in one. the blackberry was boring. plus I'm a lefty so the treo just seems easier across the board for me. this board is pretty harsh on the 700p but I think al whole lot of people still really love it and still buy to this day. go figure.
    Sorry, but the BB has the Treo beat in most areas.
    Phone - BB
    OS Stability - BB
    Phone Book - BB
    Form Factor - BB
    One hand operation - BB
    Keyboard - BB
    Email - BB
    Calender - Treo
    Number of programs - Treo
    I had my 700p for 10 mos and prefer my BB 8830 hands down.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I'm curious to see if anyone has went from a Treo to a Windows Mobile 6 device. I recently switched to a Moto Q9M with the lastest version of Windows mobile. The thing I miss the most is the threaded sms and I liked the calendar much better on the Treo.

As for the overall experience, I hate to admit that I really do like the Q9M. As for OS stability there have been zero crashes or lags or freezeups - which happened frequently on my 700P.
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    Phone - BB
    OS Stability - BB
    Phone Book - BB
    Form Factor - BB
    One hand operation - BB
    Keyboard - BB
    Email - BB
    Calender - Treo
    I had my 700p for 10 mos and prefer my BB 8830 hands down.
    I guess it depends on what BB you're talking about, but when it comes to 3rd party apps to enhance the stock programs, Treo is all over the BB.

The calendar is anemic on the BB, the default email viewer is bad. I've had quite a few 'uncaught exceptions' on my BB (OS stability), and I'm not sure what you mean by number of programs - Palm is way ahead in the category too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DadMan View Post
    I'm curious to see if anyone has went from a Treo to a Windows Mobile 6 device. I recently switched to a Moto Q9M with the lastest version of Windows mobile. The thing I miss the most is the threaded sms and I liked the calendar much better on the Treo.

As for the overall experience, I hate to admit that I really do like the Q9M. As for OS stability there have been zero crashes or lags or freezeups - which happened frequently on my 700P.
    I agree 100%. I went from a 650 to the q9m and love it. Wouldn't go back, but do miss threaded sms and the better calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxboss View Post
    I guess it depends on what BB you're talking about, but when it comes to 3rd party apps to enhance the stock programs, Treo is all over the BB.

The calendar is anemic on the BB, the default email viewer is bad. I've had quite a few 'uncaught exceptions' on my BB (OS stability), and I'm not sure what you mean by number of programs - Palm is way ahead in the category too.
    I guess you didn't see that I listed Palm as better in the both the calendar and number of programs.
    given BB's current lineup, carriers, and my business needs, i'd never go back given today's choices of Treos. i'm fortunate not to have to rely on third party programs, and the calendar/pim on the BB's is beyond sufficient for my needs (i don't require bells/whistles/colors/etc). what i love is that it offers everything i have to have (i.e., gets me by until i'm back in front of a desktop) in a small, pocketable device.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    The only thing keep me from looking at the BB is the extra cost for push email. Now I see why corporations are BB's bread and butter. Chatter works great on the Treo and unless they have another killer app, I will stick with the Treo or WM device.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhengisEEK View Post
    But needless to say, the market was there for PALM to Win, it was theirs to LOSE. They will probably go down as one of biggest Tech Company blunders of the 21st century.
    True dat, but there's still alot of the 21st century left for others to blunder. Palm's not (yet?) big enough to ever qualify for "biggest tech blunder", I think... It'd have to be something like the total failure of Vista/Windows (they've made a good headstart, though...), or Google completely losing its marbles (like by reading people's gmail or teaming up with the NSA...) And RIM itself has farther to fall than Palm. Yesterday's darling is tomorrow's train crash in this business. Which isn't to diminish the magnitude of Palm's blunders, or the pervasive extent of the market's disappointment in Palm (truly pervasive...).

I don't think I'll ever go to BB though. I have started using WM5/WM6 extensively. It has proven to be reliable, and obviously a solid platform on which 3rd parties are able to easily build robust and useful apps. That's all good -- solid platform, increasing good apps -- those are the hallmark of a good MS-style program loader and OS underneath. Unfortunately, it really says nothing about the usability and integration of the common PIM environment. That is where PalmOS is still ahead of WM, IMHO. And I would continue to choose Palm over WM for this reason... for now... when given a choice (diminishing weekly it seems)...
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    I guess you didn't see that I listed Palm as better in the both the calendar and number of programs.
    Yes, I did miss that . I should never post prior to my first cup of coffee
  15. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Phone - BB
    In what respect? Interface, sound quality, etc? I've owned both a BB 8830 and Treo 700P/755P, and I found the sound quality on the Treo to be much better than the berry.

OS Stability - BB
    Won't argue with you here.

Phone Book - BB
    There's nothing special about the BB Phone Book. Worse case, it's a draw between the BB and the Treo

Form Factor - BB
    You must be kidding... The BB 8830 is a horrible form factor. Yes, it's thin but it feels horrible in the hand because of how wide it is.

The Curve is a different story. I think RIM nailed it with the curve, but all of ther berrys are either worse or maybe as good as the Treo. The Treo 680/750/755 form factor is VERY NICE.

One hand operation - BB
    Of course this is just your personal opinion, but I think you'd find many who would disagree with you. One handed operation is one of the Treo's biggest assets. VERY worse case, its a draw.

Keyboard - BB
    Same as previous response.... Worse case, even money.

Email - BB
    Chatter definately gives BB email a run for its money. I personally prefer Chatter over the BB email client, but I suspect many would disagree with me. BB wins here.

Calender - Treo
    I don't think the Treo has much on the BB as far as calendars are concerned. Both are functional, but pretty minimal in features. There's no two ways about which unit has the most add-on software. Treo blows the Berry away here.

The two biggest things the Berry has doing for it are: 1) It just works, doesn't crash. 2) Push email client. In every other respect, the Treo wins. I've owned both and by far and away prefer the Treo.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "geek" factor of the Treo's. When I switched jobs I really debated between a Curve on AT&T and a Treo 750 on AT&T. Most others in my company use Blackberry's... but in the long run I would totally miss being able to get inside the OS and modify it to suit my needs. Not to mention my endless fiddling with the Today screen. I would really miss that aspect of the Treo.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    My Company recently required me to get a blackberry. I was able to at least get them to let me get the curve. I can see the good qualities in both devices. I never thought I would like a BB but the curve is pretty nice. If I could put the palm platform on the curve and keep the curves BT 2.O I think I would have the perfect device for me. I am now carrying two different phones. I have software on the Palm I use everyday and will not give up.

I think the phone quality on the Treo 700 is better than the Curve. The phone interface on the Curve is not as good as the Treo. Try punching in voicemail letter codes without seeing which letter corresponds to which number. I think the use of ringtones and alerts are better on the Curve. I never thought the size of the Treo 700 was a big deal til I started carrying the Curve, now the Treo really feels large.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I tried the Curve for about a week and ended up returning it and going back to my T650. The main reason was the email issue. Until BB can handle IMAP it isn't for me. I don't enjoy having to manually delete email on the BB that I've already deleted on my desktop (same thing going the other way as well). I also liked the browser on the T650 better. It was much simpler to operate even though the BB actually looked better. I did like the trackball on the BB but I did miss the touch screen. However, given that the touchscreen is a battery drain I could learn to live without it. I wish the BB would have worked out better because my T650 is really getting long in the tooth but I don't see anything out there that will replace it. Of course if I was willing to switch carriers there are other Treo's that would work.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I tried the BB8830 and just couldn't get used to the poor display of web and email. The usability of the email app was much inferior to Chatter on the Treo. Also, the lack of a touch screen makes some games very difficult to play. Of course, that's not a deal-breaker for business use.

So I'm back to my 700P (never applied the MR, fortunately.) I don't like the lags and resets, but it's still more fun than the BB.
  20.    #20  
    We'll I've had the AT&T Curve for 5 days now and here's my comparison to my Sprint 700p.

PHYSICALLY
    The Curve is a great size and light wieght. My treo feels like a brick. The keyboards are a wash. As for the touch screen, I really don't miss it. The menus are designed to work without it, and it is really nice not having to worry about the phone hitting something in your pocket.

SOFTWARE
    The Curve has rebooted/lockedup on me twice in 5 days, both from 3rd party FTP software. My treo it was at least a daily event. I use FTP to transfer music and video so this is key. The only program I miss is Slingbox.

EMAIL
    The Blackberry software sucks. This BES propaganda is a joke, both the lack of formatting and the sync. The treo has it beat all day with Versamail or Chatter. Even WindowsMobile's ActiveSync is better. True sync is a must, I can't beleive this suppose to be a BB strong point. I hate the "Grouped" mailbox, not even an option to have separate mailboxes.

PHONE
    The Curve just works, the treo was hit or miss. Especially when using a BT device. And as a bonus the Curve has voice dialing.

NETWORK
    AT&T EDGE sucks, its slooow. I don't know how Slingbox proposes to add BB to its list of supported devices. I don't think there is a single one beyond EDGE or REV 0. I truly miss the CDMA speed for FTP transfers.

So would I go back to a Treo/Palm OS or for the matter a WindowsMobile, yes if the device is as stable a BB, simple to use like Palm/RIM, and better email capabilities than the BB.
    Last edited by GhengisEEK; 10/17/2007 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast