Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    To solve a lot of the web browing complaints, you can easily just download Opera Mini 4.2 which is better than any version of Pocket Internet Explorer.
    I have loved my various Treo's through out the years but Palm is just not innovating like the other companies are. RIM has really stepped up with their 8000 and 9000 series phones. I am using an 8820 right now and looking forward to an eventual upgrade to the Bold. As a business user and international traveler the Treo is just not as functional or cost effective. Overall if any of the wireless providers want to really make a dent in the RIM dominance in the market they need to create data plans similar to those that RIM has for global travel. I know my phone bill was HUGE when I spent a week in Singapore using my Treo 750. The same length of time in the same country with my Blackberry a year later was a fraction of the cost.

Also, the stability of a BB IMO is the nail in the Treo's coffin. I NEVER have to reboot. In fact I have had my BB on for probably six or eight months now with not a single issue. With past Treo's I had to reboot the thing at least once every other week.

Unless Palm and the carriers make some drastic changes I can never see going back to a Treo let alone a WM device.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    I have loved my various Treo's through out the years but Palm is just not innovating like the other companies are. RIM has really stepped up with their 8000 and 9000 series phones. I am using an 8820 right now and looking forward to an eventual upgrade to the Bold. As a business user and international traveler the Treo is just not as functional or cost effective. Overall if any of the wireless providers want to really make a dent in the RIM dominance in the market they need to create data plans similar to those that RIM has for global travel. I know my phone bill was HUGE when I spent a week in Singapore using my Treo 750. The same length of time in the same country with my Blackberry a year later was a fraction of the cost.

Also, the stability of a BB IMO is the nail in the Treo's coffin. I NEVER have to reboot. In fact I have had my BB on for probably six or eight months now with not a single issue. With past Treo's I had to reboot the thing at least once every other week.

Unless Palm and the carriers make some drastic changes I can never see going back to a Treo let alone a WM device.

These are all good points. I use Sprint so there is no using my 755p abroad and my BB works well Over There. My real complaint is with the PIM system. Lotus notes phone book and calendar is so poor compared to Palm OS for both input and presentation. Also the web comes out much better and faster on the Treo than the BB, even using Opera.

B Boy
    The web browser on Blackberrys has always been a weak point. In fact, most multimedia apps are weak. But that's because the Blackberry, first and foremost, is a professional-grade business communications device. Emphasis on email. The multimedia apps look almost like an afterthought to RIM. Something thrown together so RIM can say, "Yeah, we can play music too."

The best features of the Blackberry's PIM suite shine only over BES. We personal BIS users have found some workarounds, and lately there have been some apps/services developed to give us some of this BES functionality, but it's still in it's infancy. Palm has a clear advantage in the PIM department with all but the corporate BES users. Getting your calendar and address book and task list to sync wirelessly with your work calendar is pretty neat, but without BES we Blackberry users have to rely on something like Google's suite of apps.

It's tough to argue against the BB's email capabilities or OS stability. The form factor is also pretty sweet. The keyboards are among the best anywhere, which adds to the Blackberry reputation for message handling.

I got away from Treos because of the Blackberry. I've always had a flitration Treos, both Palm OS and Windows Mobile, but have always returned to Blackberrys. I've tried to like Windows Mobile, having used multiple devices with that OS, but could never get used to the freezes (especially when you've added a few third-party apps) and the extra steps when navigating menus and sub-menus. The Treo 750 is the best WM device I've ever used, making a lot of my complaints with the platform fade in significance, but it's still not to my liking. What I will definitely do is try the new Palm Pre mobile and give them another shot.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I've had a Curve for almost a year and I still don't like the device. It's not intuitive and there is no software that will take the place of the stuff I have on my Treo. I've had my Treo650 for 4 years and I after seeing the preview of the Pre, I think I finally found my next device. The Treo has been good to me and I expect it to last a while longer, hopefully until the unlocked GSM Pre comes out. If the Pre can handle Exchange emails, I'll ditch the BB for good!
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    I have both a curve 8330, and Treo 800W and while none do all the jobs I would like solo, they each have their nitch in trying to organize my hapthhazard life. Blackberries are for messaging, every one knows it...and some probably won't admit it. Text, PIN, email (unless you dont' care about links or pictures) are what the crackberry was made to do, and they do it well. Don't buy a bold and expect iphone web browsing. Treo's take the WinMob philosophy (jack of all trades) and manifests it physically. It does email, it does organizing, it does phone, it does browsing...does it excell in any? Not particularly, but we get an overall well rounded device. BBOS feel very dated quite honestly, and Dieter sumed it up perfectly on his Round Robin of the Bold, and should be looked at first primarily as thumb bruising message machine. Deciding on what smartphone will be your daily driver is as simple as listing your primary reasons for wanting one. All phones have a calender so rule that out! If the first thing on your list is hammering out emails, one handed, while on the job i suggest blackberry. If you're desk or office bound stick with a treo, and you'll see how quickly you never use your computer again except to sync
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    I dropped my 650 in coke last year and proceeded to get the 755P which I thought would be newer therefore better. I was so wrong. I have been through 3 of them and no luck. I just got the Curve and so far am so impressed except for the fact that I can't seem to get a great migration of my contacts and calendar. I know that I will miss some of my 3rd party apps but so far i haven't had my phone reboot because my dh called me!

Alicia
    Quote Originally Posted by GhengisEEK View Post
    Once you go Black(berry) do you come back?

Yep, and it seems most come running back. I know I did.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456