Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I came back to a 700P from the BB 7100 and MDA only because I had to move to Sprint for work-related reasons (couldn't connect reliably on T-Mobile from a new client's office). I may have the only 700P that works pretty much flawlessly, but I am still looking to jump ASAP. The only thing that didn't work reliably for me -and the main reason I had selected the 700P- was the Bluetooth modem. A laptop anywhere-connection is critical for me, so I had to spring for a Sprint card on top of the 700P. Currently, I'm waiting to check out the rumored Sprint BB Curve; but, whatever my next move is, it will surely be a BB, WM, or Symbian option. The only Treo option I can imagine considering is an IF-EVER Sprint Centro-like 8xx WM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    i just went blackberry and came back. blackberry seemed years behind windows mobile. lots of features lacking in the platform. shoot, i would take a POS device long before blackberry agian. POS isn't near as out date. IMHO
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    HUH??? Garnet is seriously old! They've updated BB software WAY more times than Palm did with Garnet! Only for newer models though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I use exchange server for my calendar, email, and contacts. Can you connect to exchange server with a blackberry? No. How's that for functionality?
    Are you kidding, Joebob? That's what RIM does, and probably still more securely than anyone.
    Here's a link to illustrate this capability and options: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5681457.html
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Not to mention, unlike EAS on POS, BB's sync tasks and memos along with email, contacts, and calendar. Now how's that for functionality?
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    I went Black just a few weeks ago and will never go back. There is no comparison in my mind. My BlackBerry just works. It feels better, its much smaller and lighter, the battery works much longer, the screen is better, I have come to like the trackball better than the touchscreen, there is plenty of third party software (not as much as Treo, but plenty), and it is engineered with so many smart features that I can't believe have never existed in POS that it isn't even funny. You can tell the developers, engineers, and designers at RIM are actually trying to make a perfect product. Palm, not so much. It makes me really wonder what that department looks like at Palm? They aren't even trying! It's pathetic how much better my BB Curve is over any Treo I've ever had. And I never thought I would say that. It isn't even close though. Buh-Bye POS.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700 -> Treo 755p -> BB Curve 8310 (and never looking back)
    I have had a variety of treo's as well as WM devices and a few blackberrys. By far the most stable devices I have had are the BB's. I have an 8820 that has everything....GPS, WIFI and stable. A camera would be nice but I hardly use them on phones anyway.
    I recently moved to a BB 8830 after years of using Treos (and other Palm devices before that, going back to the original Palm Pilot). My last Treo was a 700p (Palm OS). I made the change because my company made a corporate decision to adopt BB as the corporate standard.

There are clear differences between these devices. Each has advantages. Overall, I'm happy with the move, but for me it's not all as black and white as some portray. My take:

Treo:

1. Palm OS is very clean and easy to use. Many (most) actions require only a single step.
    2. There is lots of very polished third party software for the Palm OS (and some not so polished).
    3. Personally, I find it easier to type on the Treo keyboard. YMMV
    4. I like (and miss) the touchscreen.
    5. Treos have a narrower (but thicker) form factor.
    6. Treos require lots of tweaking (the Palm OS has aged, but can be patched with third party software like Butler).
    7. Great e-mail sychronization using Chatter e-mail, but nothing great for calendar, contacts, etc. (I hate Versamail.)
    8. The Treos have great threaded text messaging.
    9. I found it easier to use the Treo one handed.
    10. I found the presentation of data on-screen is more polished (nicer looking) on the Treo.
    11. Treos have horrible bluetooth implementation. Buggy, weak signal, non-compliant.
    12. We experienced lots of hardware failures with Treos.
    13. Our IT department spent lots more time supporting Treos than BBs.

BB 8830:

1. BBs overall are much more stable (no endless reset loops).
    2. BBs enjoy faster, much easier synchronization of e-mail, contacts, calendar, etc. This couldn't be better.
    3. BBs require less tweaking on a regular basis.
    4. BBs are lighter and thinner (but wider).
    5. BBs have much better battery life.
    6. I'm liking themes.
    7. BBs have much better bluetooth (easier to set up, stronger signal, more compliant).
    8. My company has found the BB hardware to be much more durable and easier to support.
    9. I'm not crazy about calendar or e-mail display (although BBSmart helps alot). I miss integrated HTML support.
    10. I miss HTML support in the BB browser. I need to try Opera mini.
    11. To me, the user interface on the BB just isn't as polished. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming software upgrade.

After a couple of weeks, I'm getting past the learning curve and more accustomed to the BB. Again, overall, I'm happy with the move.

Kelly
    Good points Kelly. I would add that the build quality on the BB is better too.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm actually in the process of selling my Blackberrys, and an Arctic White Treo 680 is on it's way to me as I type this. The Blackberry is poor at multimedia and that's become much more important to me lately. I was also able to drop my $20/month Blackberry add-on plan for T-Mobile's TZones at $5.99. Blackberrys have suffered a rash of one and two-day outages, especially for BIS users. They're not as bullet proof as we once believed. Lastly, being a BIS user and not a corporate BES user I feel like I'm not getting the true Blackberry experience. The real magic happens with automatic sync of email, calendar, and contacts. I could pay even more for a hosted BES solution, but it's really not worth it for me. So buh-bye Blackberry. Hello Treo. Again.
    I had a 8830 and it just sucked I couldn't hear when people would called me so I found the software update still didn't work.The blackberry is a boring phone no color, bland and the one I had reset more than my treo. The internet on there is a joke its really bad looking to me I tried opera mini still sucks.The keyboard sucks on the 8830 the battery life sucks and it was hard to take the back of the phone off to take the battery out because it continued to reset.Now the curve looks ok but everything else will still be the same.The only thing i liked about the curve is the camera now thats great. All in all i love my treo 755p it works almost flawless the bluetooth is good I have the motorola h12 and thats a good look.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have used a BB Pearl,8800 and 8320. My company has gone over to Windows as far as handheld devices go and I have followed. I am currently using a Q9H and love everything about it.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Well I have a 680 GSM for sale. I currently using my Treo 650 and sometimes a 8310 all on Rogers. From my experience the phone is much better on the BB. Locks in on cell sites better and acquired new cells quicker and does not drop the calls where both the Treo do. The BB contacts and calendar both could use a good dose of polish. It pretty bland up to the Treo with AddressXT and messages are not as easy to deal with. But its software so it can be changed.

I miss the PIM the Palm supplies. I don't want to use Outlook. I don't want my Outlook email, contacts etc transfered into the BB at all. That is the real bummer for me.
    I'm about one month into it and I like the 8830 enough to invest in accessories. My company is paying for the service and the device so this was a good way to join the very large corporate BB user community.

My Blackberry works. It has enabled me to NOT be tethered to my laptop yet be responsive to my customer. In about 7 years of using smartphones, I've never had a device this reliable.

That said, for my personal use, I still appreciate my Treo 700wx. It works just as well for non-corporate email and calendaring. I might even consider a new and improved Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by stayfly View Post
    I had a 8830 and it just sucked I couldn't hear when people would called me so I found the software update still didn't work.The blackberry is a boring phone no color, bland and the one I had reset more than my treo. The internet on there is a joke its really bad looking to me I tried opera mini still sucks.The keyboard sucks on the 8830 the battery life sucks and it was hard to take the back of the phone off to take the battery out because it continued to reset.Now the curve looks ok but everything else will still be the same.The only thing i liked about the curve is the camera now thats great. All in all i love my treo 755p it works almost flawless the bluetooth is good I have the motorola h12 and thats a good look.

I could not disagree with you more. Maybe you just had a bad 8830. I have an 8820 and everything works head a shoulders above my Treo 750. I can type easily on the keyboard and the battery life is TONS better then ANY Treo I ahve ever owned. I can go two or three days with almost constant use before I have to charge it. The Treo was lucky to make a single work day. Also, taking off the back to get to the battery is a breeze. However, I rarely have to do this as my BB, unlike my Treo, never freezes up requiring me to get to the battery.

Don't get me wrong I really like my Treo but I travel internationally on business and the unlimited BB international plan kicks the WM data plan all day long. IMO when WM can offer an unlimited "international" data plan like the BB, WM will then be more competitive in the business market. BB's are super stable and with each new model are adding more and mroe multi-media capabilities. I am not one of the users that is going to watch a movie on any type of smartphone and for that matter I do not even listen to music. I have an iPod for that.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    NOTE: This is a long post.

I had a Blackberry 8700 for a little over four or five months, then "upgraded" to an 8800 shortly after that when the screen on the previous phone broke. I ended up going back to the Treo 650.

Disclaimer: I have used all of the GSM Treos available except the Centro. This includes the "ancient" 180, 270 and 600 devices. I have also spent significant time with Windows Mobile.

I went back to a Treo because I really needed a device that could sync with my Hosted Exchange inbox, and it was the cheapest option available ($50!). Dropping my extra Blackberry BES add-on for T-Mobile was a plus too, and I got HotSpots back!

After having used all of the popular smartphone platforms, all I can really say is that each platform has strengths in different areas, but none of them are necessarily "better" than the other. Some people have a need for a Blackberry, while others prefer Palm OS just fine (regardless of its current managerial/developmental state). If there were a "best" OS, I'm sure almost everyone would have gone to it. Right now, that seems to be Apple's or RIM's offerings, since they are taking over most of the US smartphone market share.

The Treo 650 is probably one of the best smartphone devices ever made. Even today with iPhones and slim smartphones, the physical design of the Treo is hard to beat (and matched by the RIM 8700). Its screen is very good, as well as its keyboard. The software itself is not that stable, but is much better with custom solutions (i.e. removing many of Palm's built-ins and extra fluff that's not needed). The speakerphone has always been pretty terrible, and the Bluetooth radio is, relative to today's offerings, abysmal. (How is it possible that I get static when I'm less than 10 ft away?!) Then again, I experienced most of those problems even up to the 750 (which I disliked more than the 650, by far).

However, the RIM 8700 was RIM's magnum opus and their answer to everything. Its design is BOMB-proof (i.e. it survived *two* medium-speed cycling-related accidents, and finally cracked on the third). The keyboard is solid, and very easy to type on. No touchscreen, but their OS is super-easy to operate using the side clickwheel (which was a GENIUS idea as a corporate device). Also, if you open the device to do anything with it, you'll see that it's EXTREMELY simple (at least the 8700 was). There's no hassle or extra fluff; it's just the casing and the hardware. Beautiful.

Their software reflects exactly like the device itself; like its predecessors, it is all business, no kidding. All of the PIM functions (which work near flawlessly with Microsoft Exchange) are utilitarian, and are pretty easy to learn. If there's anything I miss from going back is the numerous amounts of shortcuts. It is super stable, and very secure, as most transactions are internally encrypted.

However, after using the 8800, I feel that RIM is losing their way and trying to generalize themselves, which might hurt them if they don't know how to do it right. This is what I believe hurt Palm the most, coupled with the declining demand for pure PIM devices. (How many Zire's or even LifeDrives have you seen being sold lately?) I absolutely hate the trackball, and I think that the media applications implemented on their future devices slow the OS down a little bit.

It's all a wash to me, since I think both platforms are very good. All I know for sure (right now) is that I'm not even considering adding the iPhone to my list of toys.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by cnunez1987; 05/31/2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Hardware points.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I'm actually in the process of selling my Blackberrys, and an Arctic White Treo 680 is on it's way to me as I type this. The Blackberry is poor at multimedia and that's become much more important to me lately. I was also able to drop my $20/month Blackberry add-on plan for T-Mobile's TZones at $5.99. Blackberrys have suffered a rash of one and two-day outages, especially for BIS users. They're not as bullet proof as we once believed. Lastly, being a BIS user and not a corporate BES user I feel like I'm not getting the true Blackberry experience. The real magic happens with automatic sync of email, calendar, and contacts. I could pay even more for a hosted BES solution, but it's really not worth it for me. So buh-bye Blackberry. Hello Treo. Again.
    You should really look at the iphone. As far as multimedia and web browsing, the iphone is the best, hands down.
    ^ would have to wholeheartedly agree.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by DadMan View Post
    I'm curious to see if anyone has went from a Treo to a Windows Mobile 6 device. I recently switched to a Moto Q9M with the lastest version of Windows mobile. The thing I miss the most is the threaded sms and I liked the calendar much better on the Treo.

As for the overall experience, I hate to admit that I really do like the Q9M. As for OS stability there have been zero crashes or lags or freezeups - which happened frequently on my 700P.
    I went from the 700P to WM6 on the Touch. Touch is a very nice phone, but the PIM features did not compare with TREO in my opinion. Transferred all contacts and datebk6 entries through OUTLOOK, and still lost all notes attached to the contacts. Calendar..., well, never did get comfy with it.

Kept the Touch for about 10 days, then exchanged it for the Centro. Couldn't be happier with my switch back to Palm.

Still, I want to try WM again, so plan to buy a used (cheap) phone from Ebay just to play with and get comfy with their OS. Maybe when my next NE2 is due, I can try the WM side again.

So, that was my experience.
    RJuhl
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast