Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I did. Couldn't handle the email aspect. It doesn't do IMAP push which made it to much of a pain for me so returned it and went back to my T650.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Chatter definately gives BB email a run for its money. I personally prefer Chatter over the BB email client, but I suspect many would disagree with me. BB wins here.
    I don't think it does. The BB email client doesn't suppport push IMAP and the only way to get equivalent functionality is to pay extra for BES (and extra for a BES capable data plan with some cellphone companies). Not a problem if your employer is paying but on a personally funded device, Chattermail is better. OTOH If you have BES, the calender and address book also sync OTA which is a big advantage over the Treo.
    But with Versamail, you get that too. IMO, Chatter AND Versamail on the Treo is a great solution. But I have never used BB so I can't compare.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I don't think it does. The BB email client doesn't suppport push IMAP and the only way to get equivalent functionality is to pay extra for BES (and extra for a BES capable data plan with some cellphone companies). Not a problem if your employer is paying but on a personally funded device, Chattermail is better. OTOH If you have BES, the calender and address book also sync OTA which is a big advantage over the Treo.
    Depends on the Carrier. If you are with Verizon and you want ANY data on a BB, then you have to pay for the Blackberry package which includes push from any email account. My guess is that this isn't the case with SERO, which most of the Sprint users here at TC seem to be using.

I definitely think Chatter is a better email client that what BB has to offer. However, I think I'm in the minority. Most of the posts I've read on this topic lean towards BB's email client.

I REALLY wish I had OTA Contact sync. I get OTA sync of my calendar via goosync.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    From a stability standpoint, it looks like a lot of folks have been jaded by their poor experience with one particular model, the 700p. My 680 seems to be very stable by comparison. According to my Crash log, I've suffered 8 resets since Aug 15 and my Treo is chock-a-block full of third-party apps, all stealing keyboard strokes and other miscellaneous OS events.
    Moved from the 700P to the 8320 10 days ago. The 8320 has been BY FAR the best thing that ever happened to me. (phone-wise)

My 700P was actually relatively stable, maybe one reset per week. It wasn't any glitches I was unhappy about, it was just the whole package....from it being a brick, to just the general daily use of it.

I feel like I went from Pong to PS3.
    I went from a BB 8700c running the 4.2 O.S. to a Treo 755p.And my 755p is so much better.The BB had its perks.But they were all things that my 755p can do.Maybe not as good.But damn close.The push e-mail is better,the O.S. is more stable(but don't be fooled,BBs crash),and the battery life is better.Other than that,my Treo wins hands down.I love how everyone is always calling Treos "bricks".If a Treo is a "brick",then a BB is a "floor tile".At least the 8800.Flat and square.I'd rather carry around a "brick" in my pocket than a "floor tile" any day of the week.Lol.Plus I use two things more than any other on my smartphones.The keyboard and the internet browser.And the Treo is much better in both catagories in my opinion.So I'm never,ever,not never going back to a BB.Lol.Im stickin with Treos from here on out.I like them much better overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudrsnacks View Post
    If a Treo is a "brick",then a BB is a "floor tile".
    That's funny!
    I like that. The "brick" fits better in my hand too then the "tile". It is more comfortable using the treo in one hand then the "tiles". The exception to this would be the BB Curve.
    Well I gotta say this. I do miss my 700P as far as cool apps and fun stuff you can do on it. But I don't miss the constant lockups, reboots, instability. Even when I was going through 4 phones in the span of 5 weeks is massively rediculous. Even w/ only contacts ported over it still kept freezing, you name it. I converted over to a 8830. yes it has its funadamental flaws compared to the 700P but you know what... I've never been happier because I am not constantly frustrated with all the issues. Even my loving lady has noticed at how much calmer I am because of it. Reboot? Never heard of it. Granted I had some issues when starting up like the infamous memory leak but I resolved that and haven't had that issue since I corrected it. I would LOVE to go back to the Treo but the ball is in Palm's court. They have to produce a viable working product. Only other thing I'll say for the blackberry is how sleek its built, Bluetooth works solid and size-wise holding the thing feels likeim holding on of those PADDs from Star Trek : Next Generation. I hate the rollerball but I got accustomed to it in a few hours. In a situation like mine I needed something fast and I had to push forward without looking back. Now 1 Solution doesnt work for everybody but my solution works for me. A stable phone that holds contacts, does alot of business mgmt and just works. I do miss some of my cool apps but since I carry a Laptop with a aircard that portion supplements the rest. Of course I would like to have it all in my pocket. That all depends on time as well as developers out there.

I do watch and keep up on Palm news hoping that they do something that will WOO me back.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  11.    #31  
    Did I mention how bad BES email sucks? I'm still trying to grapple with how businesses are snowballed by this product.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of Microsoft, or Palm, or Apple.

If Microsoft developed ActiveSync for the Blackberry, I would say they could easily overtake this market. Especially with the advancements promised with MDM and giving an one step process to leave a BES environment.
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Now that Gmail supports IMAP I may give the Curve another try. Is anyone else using a Curve with Gmail? If so, how's it working out?

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Are you able to stream radio over a Blackberry Curve?
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Now that Gmail supports IMAP I may give the Curve another try. Is anyone else using a Curve with Gmail? If so, how's it working out?
    POP (not IMAP) Gmail works flawlessly....I receive my emails instantly, even before my computer gets them. Coordination between the Curve and gmail on my computer is superb. I have heard that with IMAP, at least for the time being, your gmail is only pushed every 15 minutes.

I'm not sure why non-IMAP would be keeping you from trying the Curve. Supposedly IMAP on gmail will soon be pushed as fast as POP....but not yet.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swstranger View Post
    POP (not IMAP) Gmail works flawlessly....I receive my emails instantly, even before my computer gets them. Coordination between the Curve and gmail on my computer is superb. I have heard that with IMAP, at least for the time being, your gmail is only pushed every 15 minutes.

I'm not sure why non-IMAP would be keeping you from trying the Curve. Supposedly IMAP on gmail will soon be pushed as fast as POP....but not yet.
    I picked up another T-Mobile Curve last night so I'm going to give it another shot. I keep getting complaints about how bad my T650 sounds so I had to do something.

My main issue is that I don't use Gmail as my primary email. I use my own domain and without IMAP support I am forced to "manage" my email on both the BB and my desktop. Having to do this negates one of the biggest benefits of IMAP. I will try forwarding all my email to my GMail account and see if I can live with that.

BTW, how the heck to I configure the BB to use Gmail? Do I have to set it up through the T-Mobile website?

Did you consider signing up for one of the Hosted Exchange w/BES services?
    Last edited by TxDot; 11/02/2007 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    I picked up another T-Mobile Curve last night so I'm going to give it another shot. I keep getting complaints about how bad my T650 sounds so I had to do something.

My main issue is that I don't use Gmail as my primary email. I use my own domain and without IMAP support I am forced to "manage" my email on both the BB and my desktop. Having to do this negates one of the biggest benefits of IMAP. I will try forwarding all my email to my GMail account and see if I can live with that.

BTW, how the heck to I configure the BB to use Gmail? Do I have to set it up through the T-Mobile website?

Did you consider signing up for one of the Hosted Exchange w/BES services?
    Setting up gmail is extremely easy....click the icon "Set up Internet E-mail", click "Email Accounts", click "Add an Email Account", type in your email address and password, and you're done.

Then I'd hide the icon that's created with your gmail account because all emails go into your Messages Folder anyway, so it's redundant.

I only use gmail so it works flawlessly for me. I'm not that knowledgeable on IMAP and other email setups...but blackberryforums.com has all of your answers and I'm SURE you will be able to set it up so it works perfectly for your situation.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swstranger View Post
    Setting up gmail is extremely easy....click the icon "Set up Internet E-mail", click "Email Accounts", click "Add an Email Account", type in your email address and password, and you're done.

Then I'd hide the icon that's created with your gmail account because all emails go into your Messages Folder anyway, so it's redundant.

I only use gmail so it works flawlessly for me. I'm not that knowledgeable on IMAP and other email setups...but blackberryforums.com has all of your answers and I'm SURE you will be able to set it up so it works perfectly for your situation.
    On my Curve the Set up Internet E-Mail icon launches the browser and goes to the T-Mobile web site. Is T-Mobile your carrier? I'll check the BB forums.
    Last edited by TxDot; 11/05/2007 at 10:06 AM.

I have T-Mobile. When you click it, "T-Mobile" will go on your screen and it will go to a blackberry site where you put in your gmail info.
  19.    #39  
    We'll I bought a Treo 750 today on Craig's list for $200... couldn't take the slow EDGE speed of the Curve or the BES email.

Now I just awaiting the WM6 upgrade. So you do comeback, running.

So in recap I went from a Sprint Treo 700p to AT&T Curve to AT&T Treo 750. I do have to admit the Curve opened my eyes to what I missed with BT2.0 capabilities. Hense, I went with the WM 750 for the BT.
    Thx
    GhengisEEK

I wanted to be somebody when I grew up, I should have been more specific."
    As a long time Palm user, I feel that I can say with certainty that my palm products froze up and reset so frequently that it became useless. The bluetooth was a constant problem and the battery life way insufficient. I have a BB curve. Everything works well, all the time. I quickly got used to all the BB logic. I guess my criteria is that foremost, I need a reliable phone. The BB meets and surpasses all of my needs.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast