1.    #1  
    Well I gave it ten days and I can't take it anymore. The Palm has form factor down pact but the screen is just not good. The Gameboy color looks better than it. I know palm keeps saying that the M505 has a high contrast screen but it is too muddy. Even other Palm V and Vx users I know are totally shocked at how bad the screen is. The SD cards are way too small. Trust me there are going to be a lot of lost cards around. And Palm OS 4.0 didn't seem like an improvement over 3.5. I think Palm really blew it this time, 449 bucks for a crappy screen and a vibrating alarm.

I strongly advise those who are upgrading from a Palm III or a VDX and are focusing on compact form factor to get a Palm Vx or a Visor Edge or the Palm M500 and if you want color go for the Prism or wait for the Clie N710c.

I'm heading back to my beautiful Prism and very anxious to try out the Clie N710c when its released.

Anybody else returning or already returned their M505?
    Last edited by mikedemo; 05/25/2001 at 10:32 AM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I feel your pain.

505 form factor
    prism color
    clie resolution
    handera flexibility

The PDA I really want is scattered all over creation....
    If you got the hungarian one, you should take it back and try out the USA one. The screen is light years better.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    I thought it was the other way around. The hungarian one was better.
    I have seen a number of hacks around to UP the brightness. Has anyone tried them?

Go see the clie' It's amazing.....
    except for that memstick thing. I just can't do that.

I will wait patiently with the help of my Prism(and memplug when(if) I get it) for the Handera COLOR
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Anybody else returning or already returned their M505?
    No...not yet, but I am tempted. I understand where your coming from. The design is gorgeous, it's thin, svelte, sexy, yada..yada..yada. But the screen isn't exactly breathe taking, and the unit doesn't really offer any new exciting features. I'm waiting to see a SONY NC710 myself, but I'm not sending my M505 back until I have a clearer picture of what is more compelling.

The recent price drops on Pocket PCs at Staples almost has me tempted to pick one up, but I'm not really interesting in going back to that environment. But it does point out the fact that Palm devices are a tad over-priced.

If I could pick up the new SONY Clie for around $400...I just might jump!
    Originally posted by bblue
    If you got the hungarian one, you should take it back and try out the USA one. The screen is light years better.
    The Gadgeteer's discussion that follows the site's m505 review brings up the alleged difference between the Hungarian and US models. If you read the posts by readers who actually compared both models, and not just made assumptions, the consensus is that there is no difference between the two production runs; it's a case of wishful thinking.

That's not a scientific assessment, to be sure, but until someone can post pictures of the two m505s side by side and demonstrate a difference in screens (incidentally, the mediocre color screen I saw was on a US model), the problem applies to all 505s.
    Well, it seems to be a pretty popular rumor. Either people's opinions have varied (very possible) or there IS a variation in the Hungarian and USA models. I am tempted to have faith in both, since the Hungarian ones were the ones rushed to the market.

I've also heard the form factor of the new CLIE isn't all-too-hot. Sources tell me it hovers near the size of the ungainly iPaq. The CLIE is a multimedia gadget. The Palm M505 is an ORGANIZATION gadget. That's right. It's designed to actually sove a problem, a different problem than the CLIE. Each has a different forte. (Although, Palm will probably drop the price VERY soon. When it goes below the EDGE, I'm snatching one up ASAP!)

And if you're thinking of jumping the boat, you should listen to what http://www.omnigroup.com (I'm pretty sure this is their web site) has to say about Microsoft. It's not about PocketPC's, but what they say pretty much carries on. The world would be a much better place if Microsoft & its products did not exist. It's a thought that popped into my head while using the Jornada.

Flame them, not me.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Originally posted by bblue
    Well, it seems to be a pretty popular rumor. Either people's opinions have varied (very possible) or there IS a variation in the Hungarian and USA models. I am tempted to have faith in both, since the Hungarian ones were the ones rushed to the market.
    The rumor's popularity is irrelevant. The issue is the rumor's accuracy. I reiterate: the m505 I saw was American, and the screen sucked. Numerous complaints have been posted from readers on PalmStation, The Gadgeteer, PDABuzz, Geek.com, and other sites regarding their dissatisfaction with the m505's screen, citing Hunagarian and American models. I have yet to read a single unilaterally positive review of the m505's screen assembled in either country. The Gadgeteer's Julie Strietelmeier, as one example, notes that hers was from the US. On another site, a US m505 was even shown next to a Gameboy Color, and still came up short.

If "light years better" means "acceptable," I disagree. If the American 505's screen is that much better, the Hungarian version must display nothing but shades of black.
    "If 50 million people believe a foolish thing it is still a foolish thing" - Anatole France
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I own a Hungarian made Palm m505. I was worried that its screen quality was worse than the American made ones, so I took mine up to CompUSA and compared mine to their U.S. made demo. The two looked very similar, and I actually though mine may have been slightly better. I have heard that both factories have produced models of varying quality.
  11.    #11  
    I returned a US made 505.

Here's a quote from an article that was about the various latest Palm based PDAs. It was titled "STATE OF THE ART; Palmtops Add Spice To a Staple"

He had great things to say about Handspring Visor, Sony Clie N710c and the Handera 330 but when he got to the M505, here's a quote.

". . . avoid this dud at all costs."
    David Pogue
    New York Times
    May 10, 2001, Thursday

IMHO, if you get one try to stay away from Prism, iPaq, and Gameboy color owners or you will be very unhappy with it.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    ". . . avoid this dud at all costs."
    David Pogue
    New York Times
    May 10, 2001, Thursday
    Do you have a link to this article?

New gripe:
    There's no excuse for units with DUST under the screens!
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Slot_Machine

Do you have a link to this article?

New gripe:
    There's no excuse for units with DUST under the screens!

"The other is the m505, which ought to have been every Palm fan's fantasy: a color Palm V. Unfortunately, its screen is so dark that it may as well be a piece of onyx. You wonder if Palm's Silicon Valley-based designers actually looked at this thing before shipping it, or if perhaps they chose it during one of California's rolling blackouts. In any case, avoid this $450 dud at all costs."

By DAVID POGUE
    May 10, 2001
    State of the Art: Palmtops Add Spice to a Staple
    New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/10/te...?searchpv=tech
    -Mikedemo
    The m505 screen displays information, and is viewable in almost all conditions. My friend and I walked outside each using our Palms. His Palm IIIc went from being bright and readable indoors to a blank screen outdoors (in sunny Florida). My m505 went from adequate and readable indoors (backlight on) to beautiful outdoors (backlight off). I consider my m505 to have a superior screen because I can always use it! The only time I have trouble with my screen is when I am in a car and it is VERY sunny out. The roof doesn't let enough direct sunlight in to reflect off of the screen, however my pupils get smaller in diameter because of the brightness outside, amking the screeen look dim even with the backlight. The screen is right for some people including myself.
    Originally posted by carguy
    The screen is right for some people including myself.
    I understand where you're coming from carguy. I'm sure most people who buy the m505 for normal PIM use are happy to have just enough color to enhance the basic apps. But most of the individuals who post to this board are PDA freaks (myself included ), and the 505 just doesn't perform as we hoped it would.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    Originally posted by Jupe
    "If 50 million people believe a foolish thing it is still a foolish thing" - Anatole France
    "If 60 million people use Napster, and 100 people (Hillary Rosen +Big greedy record labels & people they've bribed) thinks it's wrong, who is right?"

The answer? The Napster users, because I like the blue kitty logo better than greedy record labels

Ok, so that had no relevance.
    But why were you expecting something with Prism or Clie screen quality in the size of a V? Palm's screen is not the best out there, but it's certainly an acceptable one.

Now dust under the screen I do find inexcusable.
    Originally posted by Jupe
    My "Ok, so that had no relevance" quote was gonna be:
    But what the hell do they know in France?
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein