Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I like this phone but I don't really think that a fn key on the keyboard is nowhere near as good as a real ringer switch. I would sacrifice many other features before a proper, well designed ringer switch. It's vital.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Palm needs to make this with a touchscreen and new linux OS. No, wait, Palm's manufacturing has sucked lately. Someone else needs to make this with a touchscreen and ALP. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
    There's a chap over at Brighthand from Access who insists ALP devices will hit the market early next year.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    There's a chap over at Brighthand from Access who insists ALP devices will hit the market early next year.

Surur
    No kidding? I thought ALP had quietly died. Got a link?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  4.    #44  
    No kidding? I thought ALP had quietly died. Got a link?
    LeftyFromACCESS

Rep Power: 0 Re: Palm, It's Time to Go With a Better Option Than Linux

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allow me to inject a bit of reality into the misinformation about the ACCESS Linux Platform here:

First, we shipped version 1 of the ACCESS Linux Platform SDK to licensees around February this year, and announced it at 3GSM. We shipped version 2 within the last month or so.

We've demonstrated it at LinuxWorld last month, and at Open Source in Mobile 2007 (here in Madrid, from where I'm typing this) just this past week. Garnet VM works great--our testing has something like 80 or 85% of Palm OS applications, i.e. the "well-behaved" ones, running just fine.

The rest of the system works great as well, and we're actively working with licensees on concrete devices. No, I can't name them for you: our customers really dislike it when we pre-announce their product plans for them, so we don't do that. It's up to them to announce their road-maps, not us.

We've publicly stated several times that we're expecting to see products based on ALP on the market in the first half of next year (but let me do it one more time, just for the heck of it).

Hope this helps to clear up the numerous misapprehensions I've seen in this thread.

David "Lefty" Schlesinger
    Director, Open Source Technologies
    ACCESS Co., Ltd.
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthre...=247626&page=8

Surur
    Thanks! Things could start looking interesting early next year, especially if other manufacturers beat Palm to the Linux-Palm OS phone. I wonder what the likelihood of ALP programs being compatible with PalmOS II would be. If we're lucky it would be a matter similar to KDE vs Gnome, which is relatively easy to port between (and most apps work fine in either, regardless of what they were designed for).

Edit: Of course, ALP still has the Java compatibility layer for thousands more programs that will be lacking in PalmOS II. Guess which one I'm leaning towards?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    This HAS a touchscreen AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $mouse$ $is$ $just$ $a$ $gimmick$. ($I$ $hope$)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    This HAS a touchscreen AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $mouse$ $is$ $just$ $a$ $gimmick$. ($I$ $hope$)
    Correct.

Surur
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    I like this phone but I don't really think that a fn key on the keyboard is nowhere near as good as a real ringer switch. I would sacrifice many other features before a proper, well designed ringer switch. It's vital.
    On the Blackjack, all you have to do is press and hold the key for maybe a second. You don't press the Fn key. I don't think that it's that big a deal not having a switch and having a button to press instead.
    Jeff
    I think it's more of a test than a gimmick, and if it gets good user reviews they may replace touchscreens with this method. I doubt it will go that way, but you never know

(Remember, PHOTON will be the exact same OS for both touch and non-touch devices)
    Oh, well that's a horse of a different color! Samsung just needs to release a version of this phone with a non-M$ OS and I'm there. If it comes to Sprint.
  11.    #51  
    Oh, well that's a horse of a different color! Samsung just needs to release a version of this phone with a non-M$ OS and I'm there. If it comes to Sprint.
    You cant have your cake and eat it too. Samsung's Symbian phones do not have touch screens.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You cant have your cake and eat it too. Samsung's Symbian phones do not have touch screens.

Surur
    Nor are they on Sprint. That juicy SERO plan's just too good to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev View Post
    On the Blackjack, all you have to do is press and hold the key for maybe a second. You don't press the Fn key. I don't think that it's that big a deal not having a switch and having a button to press instead.
    I think that's lazy design. The ringer switch offers tactile and visual feedback, which is exactly what you need. If you walk into a meeting and forget to check if you lowered your volume, and your CEO is already talking to you, you can just slide your finger along the Treo's top without even breaking visual contact with people, and know if it's muted or not, and do whatever you need to do. And in other situations, just looking at it tells you what state it's in. It's invaluable, and very necessary in my opinion.

A button-hold might be ok for an entertainment centered phone, but I expect better from a top of the line device.
    If the phone vibrates when it's been muted, that's good enough for me. Not as good as the ringer switch by any means, but close.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I guess this is one of the points that show Palm sacrifised their control of the device by rebranding another companies device.

Regards
    graylion
    I'm surprised some are SOOO passionate about the ringer switch issue. I love the ringer switch, it is a great feature that I have come to rely on owning a T600 and now a T650. It just isn't a make or break feature to me. It would just be a matter of retraining myself to be a little more conscious of the volume status of my phone, as I used to be before I got my first Treo. Having the ringer switch has just made a little lazier since I know I can silence my phone in a second with a finger in my pocket. Before, I paid more attention and never had any issues.

All things being equal, I'd certainly rather have a ringer switch than not, and I wish every device had one, but it by itself isn't enough to make me accept a Palm device with inferior specs.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    If the phone vibrates when it's been muted, that's good enough for me. Not as good as the ringer switch by any means, but close.
    That is what the Blackjack does. It vibrates when you hold the button and the little "phone vibrating" icon apperar in the top bar of the screen.

Don't get me wrong; I like the idea of a ringer switch, but not having one isn't a big enough deal to me that I wouldn't buy a phone that doesn't have one. And, yes, I use it in the corporate world.
    Jeff
    http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/09/2...one-confirmed/

Looks vel-ly nice-a... I know it doesn't have Palm's special sauce, but:
    Its got a 320x320 touch screen, running WM6/Pro with Blackjack QWERTY
    and its only 13mm thin:

HSDPA/WCDMA/GSM/GPRS/EDGE connectivity (900/1800/1900 +2.1GHz)
    Windows Mobile 6 pro
    QWERTY keyboard
    Full Touch Screen
    3.2 megapixel camera
    front camera for video calls
    2.55″ 320320 px 65K color display
    Built-in GPS with Navigation client
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, WiFi b/g
    MicroSD memory card slot
    Dimensions:115.9 x 61.3 x 13.3 mm
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I don't think it needs Palm's secret sauce. Samsung hit it right, the only way to get a very usable/decent Windows experience is by using a mouse .
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Sprint is supposed to get a Samsung Blackjack-like device in Spring 2008. Hope that its like this one...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast