1.    #1  

HTC reportedly lands smartphone orders from Sony Ericsson

Commercial Times, September 19; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 19 September 2007]

High Tech Computer (HTC) reportedly has landed ODM orders for Windows Mobile-based smartphones from Sony Ericsson, which will market the new smartphone in the second half of 2008, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report.

Volume shipments of the smartphone – Sony Ericsson's first Windows Mobile-based smartphone and HTC's first ODM orders from a first-tier handset vendor – are expected to top over one million units and to account for 10-20% of HTC's total shipments projected for 2008, said the paper.
    Commercial Times is another source of this story, and saw HTC's stock price rise 4%.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070919PB202.html
    http://www.theunwired.net/?item=rumo...bile-bandwagon

If real, this would be a major win for WM, and mean Nokia is the only big tier vendor not shipping a WM solution.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/19/2007 at 04:47 AM.
    ...I doubt it.

They just switched to UIQ3 which is incompetible with the previous UIQ. There are barely any app yet. Why would SE become another alsorun WM licensee which offer no adventage to leverage their propietary formats AND lose their "chicness" at the same time?

And the reason I brought a m600 was becuase it was not a WM phone to begin with. Yes there are people who are like me out there.

Other than the battery life and the generally lousy UI design I have no problem with UIQ.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    ...I doubt it.

They just switched to UIQ3 which is incompetible with the previous UIQ. There are barely any app yet. Why would SE become another alsorun WM licensee which offer no adventage to leverage their propietary formats AND lose their "chicness" at the same time?

And the reason I brought a m600 was becuase it was not a WM phone to begin with. Yes there are people who are like me out there.

Other than the battery life and the generally lousy UI design I have no problem with UIQ.
    No-one said they are switching over completely, just that they may do one or two devices with WM for the enterprise market.

And just like you, there are people not buying SE devices because they dont run WM.

If you look at this (now old) data from Canalys, you can see, surprisingly, that Palm shipped more smartphones than Sony Erricson at the end of last year. I'm sure with a revived line-up in 2007 they are doing much better now (there is no newer data from Canalys unfortunately) but there is no reason they cant have their bread buttered on both sides.

People sometimes do not appreciate the strength of the dominant Symbian OS is really all about Nokia.

Surur
    As surur said they could be doing what Palm is doing and having a two OS option?