1.    #1  
    Here are some random things that have popped into my head.

1) What would happen if Apple & Handspring formed a partnership? Apple buying HS wouldn't be too realistic, since Hawkins & Dubinsky hate working for other companies, but I wonder what would happen if say, a "strategic alliance" was formed between the two companies?

Although, with all of Apple's "subliminal" promotion of Handspring, you could swear there already is one!

---

2) Who should you blame for Palm's recent problems? I know lots of people have pointed to the new CEO, Mr. Yanky-doodle, but upon closer examination, I think he's actually doing a fairly-well job. While the company is not in the best of shape right now, he's given out free Palm VII's to grads (that's a pretty smart move for Palm in the long run!) & has made their products affordable for now.

But I'm wondering if the problem can be blamed on 3com. When Palm was spun-off, their ideas-bin was empty. Come to think of it, the M5X series probably would not exist if 3com still owned them. It's starting to look like Palm's CEO has fallen victim to over-speculation and 3com's lack of interest in the Palm lineup, and is starting to turn the company around.

---

3) How much does Microsquat make off licensing for each PocketPC?

---

Thanks for reading.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    What would happen if Apple & Handspring formed a partnership?
    Why kind of partnership? I don't think a mere marketing partnership would really do much for either company. Joint product development, on the other hand, might prove to be interesting, but is something I highly doubt Apple would be interested in pursuing.

Who should you blame for Palm's recent problems?
    The market. It is crowded and becoming slightly saturated meaning that profit margins are extremely low. The tech economy is also in a down-swing, therefore less broad-spending on items such as PDAs.

How much does Microsquat make off licensing for each PocketPC?
    I don't know. Probably not a whole lot.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by bblue

3) How much does Microsquat make off licensing for each PockectPC?
    Anything is too much in my opinion. They don't have any vested interest in the hardware, so they could in theory walk away from their alliances and cave to the masses and allow Palm to become the monopoly of the handheld OS. Won't happen but they could.

My guess is that they had to offer up some incentives to the original hardware manufacturers because Palm was/is the big dog and HP, Casio, and Compaq had some pretty heavy R&D dollars involved to get their stuff going to enjoy such little market share.

It seems to me that HP recently discussed the possibility of producing a Palm based device. Wonder if that was a trial ballon or based upon user surveys?

Also, it seems that all of the PPC manufacturers have come out with lower priced units trying to capture market share that hasn't materialized from their overpriced underperforming high end units.

I'd bet, HP could make a screaming Palm OS based device with a pretty good color screen some "special" stuff and capture a lot more market share (at least consumer and possibly enterprise) in a hurry.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  4.    #4  
    Hehehe
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Who should you blame for Palm's recent problems?
    I guess Palm's board of directors for not voting to split from 3Com which resulted in Jeff Hawkins and Donna Dubinsky resigning and later forming Handspring. That is the primary problem and everything just snowballed from there.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by bblue
    3) How much does Microsquat make off licensing for each PocketPC?
    An article I read about 10 months ago said MS gets $5-10, where Palm gets $10-15.